The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 19, 2012, 04:02 AM   #1
ag3nt

can you advise a very cheap red/green dot?

just bought an m&p15-22 fun range gun but the stock sights are terrible at the range, has a rail that looks like it can take anything, i wanna order online open it and literally put it on there -no other steps like setting up a mount... under $40 would be nice- if thats even possible.. im new to rifles so thank you in advance
Old August 19, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

http://www.opticsplanet.com/yukon-si...-sm13003b.html

Got this on a couple of my 10/22's. Holds zero. The only drawback is that it is not the brightest on a super bright day and a white background. I'm sure if you look around, you'd find 'em for less than $50.
Old August 19, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
SteelChickenShooter

BSA, NcStar and Tasco might work Ok. I had one Tasco working well, but another that shifted zero when selecting different reticles. You needed to choose which selectable reticle you wanted and just stick with that one. The selector knob has some slop in it and you could see the reticle move up & down with a bit of rotation of the knob. The BSA low cost dot I had worked fine. I didn't try the NcStar, but these are in that "lower cost" ballpark. Maybe closer to $40 to $50 or so instead of $30.
Old August 19, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
berettaprofessor

I've got a Tru-Glo 2X Reddot on my S&W MP 15-22 that has stood the test of time. Saw it yesterday at $99 at Cabalas, I've got it at Dick's for $70 before.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
shurshot

I have a Bushnell Trophy red (for day light) / green (for low light) 1X scope on my S&W MP-15 .22, and it was the best $189 I ever spent. You can find a better price than I paid too if you shop around. Great scope for the money, looks cool too. This thing is deadly on tin cans at the gravel pit. I keep a loaded clip ready now, in case a varmint gets in my trash!!!

I tried to upload a pic, but it won't work...still!

Last edited by shurshot; August 19, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:28 PM   #6
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Here is a sight I use quite a bit. They have red or green dots all price ranges and the fastest shippingI have ever seen. They carry all kinds of accessories for all kinds of firearms... Not to mention very good prices...

http://rrages.com/sight/index.htm
Old August 23, 2012, 04:59 PM   #7
MyWifeIsAGlock27

i have a cheap BSA on both my shotgun and my moss.715T .22

both are holding up great for a $30-40 red dot.
Old August 24, 2012, 06:20 PM   #8
tobnpr

I had the $40 Tasco on a Mini for a while, and it held up. The dot is pretty huge, but you're gonna have that in any red dot for that price.
Old August 24, 2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Scorch

About as cheap as I recommend is the Bushnell Tactical multi-reticle scopes.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...reddot/730134/
They are pretty rugged and reliable, maybe not the cheapest but pretty good price. Any cheaper and you start getting into scopes that are cheap but unreliable.

My favorite is actually the Bushnell Tactical Red Dot.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...reddot/731303/
Good scope, fast sight acquisition.
Old August 24, 2012, 07:04 PM   #10
jmr40

Sorry, $40 is a waste of money. I've tried some at $100+ that were a waste of money. Virtually impossible to zero. Wouldn't hold zero. Dots that covered 3" of the target at 50 yards. While trying to zero I'd be 2" high and 3" left. Move the adjustments down and to the right the next group would be 4" high and 10" right. Took that junk off and chunked it in the trash.

The least expensive red dot I've found that actually works is the Vortex SPARC at $200. While that ain't cheap, it is about the same price as a decent budget scope. It holds it zero and the dot is small enough to allow 2" groups at 100 yards. Adjustments were accurate and it dialed in with a minimum of effort.

I have the same rifle BTW. I'm using one of the Redfield 2-7X32's on it. Shoots great.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:03 PM   #11
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Seriously check out rrages.com,he carries a bunch of brands and ships fast. I can say enough good things about the owner, George. Great guy great company.
Old August 25, 2012, 01:05 AM   #12
SteelChickenShooter

To clarify, I've had the low cost BSA dot, and it worked well. But for my particular case, my interest was a tiny pinpoint target down range. The size of the dot on the BSA, for me, down range, covered over the intended target.
Depending on the size of the target, the low cost BSA can be just fine or perhaps not. The Nikon product that I kept, has a much smaller and well formed dot. It's easy to see the aim point on the target instead of having the dot obscure it. Some low cost dots can be sort of poorly formed blobs, but higher cost dots can be well shaped and sharp.