The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 1999, 10:52 PM   #1
Rule303

put out an electronic scale and powder measure combo about five years back. Does anybody else have one? If so, is there a procedure for calibration that is better than using the 500gr weight that came with it? Any comments? R303.
Old October 14, 1999, 12:32 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Don't have one, but if I was worried about accuracy I would weigh several target-type bullets in the weight range I used most. That would get you down into the rifle-charge arena, anyway. In working up loads, you'll start 5% or so under, anyway, so exact one-grain, +/- gross accuracy is less important than repeatability for the next time you load.

Any college around with a physics lab? They'll probably still have old brass weights for beam-balances. Might have fractional-gram weights, and you'd be down in pistol-load range.

Any local engineering labs? They'd probably be happy to check out your scale; probably not even charge anything.

Best luck, Art

Old October 14, 1999, 12:50 AM   #3
Long Path

RCBS sells check-weights for about $8-$10. Wouldn't be without 'em. Art-- after we got a PACT scale a few years ago during a local close-out, I went ahead and bought an auto-trickler 3 years ago. This thing is the best thing since sliced bread!

Once you've set it for your load weight, it will meter off a charge for you, time and again, at the push of a button, to + or - .1 grain! Dang. Don't throw away the Lyman or RCBS balance scale-- just pack it carefully in a box and put it in the back of the shed. Compared to this set-up, it's like using a sextant and charts when you could be using a GPS!!!

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old October 15, 1999, 10:30 AM   #4
Rule303

I have a Lyman check weight set. I appreciate the value of such things. I had hoped that somebody had the DS setup and could help me rig it so I wouldn't have to use "Kentucky windage." Thanks. R303.