The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 19, 2014, 01:24 PM   #1
JBCustom

Ruger Single Six Hunter scope mounting

To those of you that have a Ruger Single Six Hunter, have any of you mounted a dovetail to weaver style mount adapter for a red dot sight?
I know the hunter series has the dovetail cut and includes a set of scope rings, but I wanted to mount a red dot instead of a pistol scope. I know they sell the type of adapters that I'm talking about but didn't know if you had issues when trying to slide it over the front sight or anything like that.

I sure with B-Square still made the full length weaver bases for the standard single sixes but they seemed to discontinue these.

thanks in advance,
JB
- Luke 22:36
Old September 19, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Pahoo

Good Question

I recall that besides the Single-Six Hunter, there are Blackhawk and Redhawk Hunters and I'm sure of the dimensional differences on that tope rail. Check these out and see is this shoe, might just fit. .....

Also, you know you can easily remove the front sight. ....

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod26007.aspx

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 19, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old September 19, 2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Pahoo

Reading between the lines;

Just reading between the lines but your RedDot is 30MM; Right ???
If so, why don't you get a new set of 30MM Ruger rings. I have done so and they are not cheap. One thing that worries me about an adaptor base, is the elevation and a new set of 30MM rings, would not give you, this potential problem. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 19, 2014, 02:42 PM   #4
JBCustom

Thanks for the replies Pahoo, I haven't purchased the Red Dot yet, but I see a lot of them come with the weaver style mounts already attached to the red dot itself. both the tube style and "reflex" styles.
- Luke 22:36
Old September 19, 2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Pahoo

Good luck !!

Quote:
with the weaver style mounts already attached to the red dot itself
You are correct and did not know what style you are looking at. More and more, they have the integral clamps and you will have to go to the base, very much like the ones that Taurus makes for their raging bulls and such. ....

Please get back to us and let us know how you made out !!

Be Safe !!!
Old September 26, 2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Snyper

I'd research sites that fit the mounts you have before spending too much time looking for mounts to fit a different type.

There are some really good red dot sights that come with 1" tubes as an option