The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Mr Budha

Went skeet shooting for the first time - now I'm hooked and looking to get started

So like the title says, went skeet shooting for the first time and it's about the most fun I've ever had with a firearm.

So now I'm looking to purchase my own shotgun for trap, skeet, etc. I was looking around for an inexpensive over and under shotgun - looked at the Mossberg silver reserve, Stoeger Condor, the CZ Mallard and a few others. I basically came to the conclusion that I should forget about an over and under shotgun until I can afford a good one.

So with that said, my budget is around $500.00 (poor college student here). I began looking for a 12 gauge semi-auto and narrowed it down to one:

The Mossberg 930

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...-purpose/85110

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Beretta 300, and the Remington 1100-11-87 but they're just right outside my price range.

I was looking for opinions/suggestions from you fine folks
Old January 3, 2014, 04:23 PM   #2
RUT

>>went skeet shooting for the first time and it's about the most fun I've ever had with a firearm.<<

Wait till you get your feet wet and get into Sporting Clays!
Old January 3, 2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Jay24bal

I have a 930, and it has been a good gun. I use mine for waterfowl hunting however, so I can not give you much on how it handles as a skeet/trap gun. Also, I am in NO WAY experienced in shooting trap and/or skeet as most of my clay shooting experience is on informal sporting clays or hand trap ranges.

That said, the gun itself is great. It handles everything I run through it, including the low brass target loads. Mossbergs seem to fit me better than Remingtons do and point more naturally, so I went with the 930 over the 1100. It came with 3 chokes, and I have been happy with it in the 2ish years I have owned it.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 3, 2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Virginian

I always advise new shooters to start with a good used 1100/11-87 or Beretta semi auto. They will do the job better than you can, and if you decide you want something different down the road after you get a little experience you won't lose a dime if you take decent care of the gun. Or, you might turn out like me. I started shooting skeet with a Model 1100 51 years ago this year, and it turned the league joke into the high average shooter, and I still have that gun and it is my go to gun for clay pigeons with a 12 gauge.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:31 PM   #5
rcase1234

You could find a very nice used 1100 for about $400
Old January 4, 2014, 09:15 PM   #6
AFK

+1 on a used 1100. I found a 20 gauge standard for just over $200 at a gun show. I refinished the stock and gave it to the wife. It looks and shoots great.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

If you can't find a used 1100, check out the Weatherby SA 08. A friend of mine has one and it has been a great semi-auto. It fits within your budget.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:55 PM   #8
oceanselv

I will probably get hammered for saying this, but I bought a Stoeger Condor o/u as my first gun. I have put 1,000 rounds through it in 2 months without a problem. I bought the gun because of the price. My buddy bought a CZ Mallard and is unhappy with the dual trigger. The instructor at my club said for a less expensive gun he was impressed with the Stoeger
Old January 4, 2014, 10:51 PM   #9
myfriendis410

There are some less expensive O/U's out there that I have no experience with but would generally shy away from them. IMO it takes $$ to build a quality Over/Under shotgun and there's no way around it.

That said, if you are intending to shoot 12 gauge only then by all means get a semi auto. The best of the bunch is the AL391 and it can be had for a couple of hundred more than your current budget, but will last long enough to hand down to your grandchildren.

DO NOT GET LESS THAN A 28" BARREL. You do NOT want a 26" or, God Forbid, a 24". 30" or even 32" in an O/U is pretty popular and with good reason. The 1100 is a great gun but there are some maintenance issues, particularly with an older model. You may end up chasing an ejection problem or a feeding problem with some of the older guns. Seen that a bunch. A Beretta 303 is a great gun so long as you flood it with oil and it can be had for a good price.

Welcome to skeet shooting! It's a great sport.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:01 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
I always advise new shooters to start with a good used 1100/11-87.
This. ^^^

Or save up money to get a quality used O/U.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:49 PM   #11
71Eagle

Skeet Gun

Be patient, save your money and buy a nice Browning O/U. That's what I did and have never regretted it.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:12 PM   #12
g.willikers

What passes for a decent gun for casual use might not be suitable for the high round count of competition.
An advantage of an O/U is being ammo neutral.
But one suitable for the long haul is expensive.
Auto loaders will generally kick less, no small issue with a full day at the range.
But they can be ammo sensitive.
In the price range mentioned, it's hard to beat a 1100.
But if you eventually decide to go with the lighter loads that are becoming popular, the gas holes in the barrel might have to be enlarged for the gun to function reliably.
No big deal, really, just a quick pass with a drill bit.
1100s are all I've ever used for the shotgun games and have never wanted to change.
And the barrels are easy and inexpensive to change for the different games, if need be.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:14 PM   #13
TheDoubleDeuce

You could be like me and take your stock Remington 870 pump for sporting clays.

Then again, you probably shouldn't ;-) You will get some funny looks though, if you can hit more than some of the guys with an O/U.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:17 PM   #14
g.willikers

Ha.
I've mentioned it before, but there's a fellow at one of the local clubs who occasionally shows up with a .410 870 pump for skeet, and usually skunks everyone.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:21 PM   #15
RUT

If you don't mind racking the slide, pumps work just fine for S. C. and 5-stand. I often use mine, but usually "just for the hell of it". I wouldn't use it for serious tournaments though.
Old January 5, 2014, 04:54 PM   #16
buckweet

Virginian _ in _ LA

Virginian in LA .. hit it on the nails head.
Remington 1100 is hard to beat.
Love all of mine.

yer' dawg ate my duck.......
Old January 6, 2014, 12:13 PM   #17
Mr Budha

Thanks for all of the input. What am I gathering is that most people recommend the Rem 1100

It's interesting that no one has anything particularly negative to say about the Mossberg 930 - they just recommend the 1100.

Will be keeping an eye out for a used one since new the 11-87 is just a little out of my price range.
Old January 6, 2014, 12:51 PM   #18
Fishbed77

Quote:
It's interesting that no one has anything particularly negative to say about the Mossberg 930 - they just recommend the 1100.
Well, if it helps, in my experience, 1100/11-87s seem better balanced, swing better, and seem to shoulder better than the 930s. They also have softer felt recoil.

I'm guessing this can all be traced back to the added weight of the steel receiver of the Remingtons, versus the aluminum receiver of the Mossberg 930.

Both designs are very reliable, but I'd give the slight edge to the Remingtons as well, provided you clean and lubricate them properly.
Old January 6, 2014, 07:58 PM   #19
pete2

A used 1100 is the best deal going. The cheap o/u is well, cheap. Save up for a Citori or one of the other better guns. Meanwhile you may find you only need the 1100.
Old January 7, 2014, 01:15 AM   #20
globemaster3

Just be patient and look around.

2 years ago I picked up an 11-87 premier 20 ga for $400 in great condition. I've also picked up some youth models in the $450 to $500 range.

I've shot intramural trap and skeet leagues with 12 ga, 20 ga, semi autos, pumps, and O/Us. For long term shooting, the auto will kick less, the 20 ga even less, and a MEC Sizemaster or full progressive might be in your future... Start saving up reloadable hulls now!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 7, 2014, 06:39 PM   #21
pathdoc

I did buy one of the Mossberg (Turkish made) O/U's (not the Silver Reserve), for trap rather than skeet, but this is because I didn't know exactly how much shooting I was going to get done plus a whole lot of other reasons, and I didn't want an expensive safe queen. If I knew I'd be out there every weekend, without fail, burning through hundreds of rounds a month, thousands of rounds a year, I'd have got something pricier from the get-go.

What I have has given me no problems so far, but I know it's not a long-term competition gun. If you've truly been bitten hard, and you're going to immerse yourself in it, your decision NOT to buy an inexpensive O/U was right for you. Have fun.

PS: the chap who says "Save your hulls" is right. You WILL want to reload eventually, and they WILL come in handy. Also save everyone else's, if they'll let you have them - as many as you can.