The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2014, 08:14 PM   #1
old fart

a dilemma, need help

I have posted a while back about getting another gun, and now i have come to the point of getting one or supplies for the one I have. I have a 4 inch barrel service six, it shoots great and conceals much better than i thought it would, I have every single spare part that the gun will ever need if it ever needs it. now my budget won't let me get ammo every check, just about a box every month or so as well as supplies every few months. selling a lot of stuff we didn't need has put me in a spot of being able to get things I've been needing and wanting. I only have about +- 300rds ammo, and I know I need more and I would like a simply rugged holster. I have between $400-$500 to spend maybe a few dollars more but not much and adding more is out of the question. If ya'll had this dilemma what would you do? #1 get a smaller gun in 357 to carry or have as extra one, as I only want to buy one caliber to save money. #2 buy supplies and ammo for the one I have cause I shoot it good already. #3 get another gun the same size to have as backup, as its easy to shoot. if I get another gun, it won't leave much if any for extra's. so what would ya'll do? thanks for the help everyone.
Old September 7, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't see your problem as what to buy, but as to why to buy another gun. It seems your current gun is OK, though possibly a bit large for concealed carry under some conditions. If your main interest is in carry (not in collecting or sport shooting), and you want to go with something smaller, trade your current gun and get something that fills your needs. There are a number of guns by S&W and Ruger, as well as others, that would work OK.

If what you have works for you and concealment is not a concern, then stick with what you have and what you can shoot well, and spend the money on ammunition or reloading supplies.

Jim
Old September 7, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Barnacle Brad

If I am understanding correctly, your budget does not allow you to keep enuff surplus ammo for the one pistol in your possession. If you get a new pistol, you are going to want to shoot it I guess. So with two guns and the same budget your surplus will shrink more? I hate to discourage anyone from buying that next gun, but it looks like you might just want to bulk up on ammo and accessories.
Old September 7, 2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

#4. Buy a reloading set up, and componets!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 8, 2014, 12:59 AM   #5
edfrompa

I would keep what I have, and save your money. Forget the new gun. It will probably cost you more by the time you get done with everything, taxes, background check, etc. And just the idea of buying a NEW gun. You lose money as soon as you go out the door. Just my opinion.
Old September 8, 2014, 01:05 AM   #6
10-96

I remember some of your earlier posts (to a degree). With your experience, age, and fund availability to consider- I kind of came up with a thought or suggestion to pass along. If you go with a quality SMALLER revolver in .357- you might find that the less size and weight will make it much less pleasant to shoot.

+1 on the reloading. Many reloading manuals show reduced loads using lead and/or cast bullets. You can buy 500 of these for close to what you would pay for many of the 100 count jacketed bullets. Being down loaded- they won't lead up your bbl like many seem to think. You can stay between 800-1000 feet per second and they won't foul your barrel much worse than the jacketed bullets. Reloading with lead is a very economical approach, and going with a powder such as IMR Trail Boss makes it very safe (no real way to double charge a case).

And in mentioning Trail Boss (I'm going out on a vicarious liability limb here) you don't really need a scale (blasphemy!). Just fill the case to 3/4 full with the Lee Dippers, and use what's called a "trickler" to increase powder level as needed to fine-tune accuracy.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 8, 2014, 01:20 AM   #7
Lost Sheep

For the price of six boxes of ammo

Cheapshooter has it right. when I bought my first handgun, the same week I bought a reloading setup because I knew I could not afford to shoot ammo purchased at full retail.

You can get a basic setup: press, scale, manual and dies and enough bullets, primers and powder to make 300 rounds for the price of that same 300 rounds (or less cost). So, that cost is a wash. After that, you can, as I did, reload ammo for for about 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of retail. You can add other tool (which add speed or convenience) as you can afford it.

Failing that, your next gun should be a 22 rimfire of the same action type as your Ruger Service-Six. (despite recent shortages-these will pass). 22 rimfire practice transfers easily to centerfire when done with the same action type.

I have always wished Ruger had made a 22 rimfire version of their "Six" revolvers, but failing that, Ruger's SP101 in rimfire or a Taurus 94 will do for inexpensive practice.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old September 8, 2014, 07:39 AM   #8
DaleA

Quote:
and I would like a simply rugged holster.
A holster for concealed carry can really drain the budget. I know a lot of guys with a *lot* of holsters, some pretty expensive ones too, that still are not satisfied.

I don't have any advice as to which one to get just the caution that I think I see more money wasted on holsters than almost any other part of the shooting game. I think taking someone's advice and buying on line without trying them on is a fast way to lose a lot of money.
Old September 8, 2014, 07:47 AM   #9
g.willikers

Your gun is only as good as you know how to use it.
And one gun is plenty if you're on top of things.
Having once been in the same boat, I spent money on training and practice with just one lonely pistol for many years.
It was the very best possible way to spend my limited funds, at the time.
If you want to branch out, how about a semi-auto pistol to expand your skills, instead of another revolver?
Old September 9, 2014, 08:38 PM   #10
357 Python

I occassionally carry my 4" S&W model 10-8, roughly the same size as your Service Six in a Bianchi pancake style holster. I sometimes wear a 5.11 vest during cool to warm weather and have no problems concealing. Reloading is a good way to extend your ammo budget. I started out with a Lee Loader then went with a single stage press from RCBS. The Lee Loader saved me about 66% the first time I used it. It would have been more but I had to buy empty shell casings, bulk box of bullets and bulk box of primers for an NRA Security Firearms Instructor course. Reloading for revolvers is not difficult to learn. Give it some thought.
Old September 14, 2014, 08:13 PM   #11
LAH

Quote:
Your gun is only as good as you know how to use it.
And one gun is plenty if you're on top of things.
I agree. The Ruger is plenty & makes a great all round sixgun for protection & general shooting. It can be hid on person when needed & it's not to heavy to carry all day. I carried a 4" N-Frame for 8 years in cheap nylon holster, inside the belt & outside the waistband. Use your extra money for a Lee Loader & a few components.
Old September 15, 2014, 02:47 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

When money is constantly tight, such as for retirees on fixed and limited incomes, buying a second gun is stupid. Keep your money in the bank.
Old September 15, 2014, 03:11 PM   #13
5thShock

A Lee-Loader for ammo, simple and cheap.The Simply Rugged Sourdough my kid has holds his S&W Model 19 high and tight to the body, your Service Six should ride similar. You'll need a loose shirt worn untucked, cultivate a loose breezy style and you'll be fine. Those folks that have drawers full of failed holsters also have "rotations" of guns to carry, as in "I think I'll have to add that little honey to the rotation". They WANT to have lots of stuff. My carry rotation rotates around one 38 and one front pocket.