The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2014, 04:10 PM   #26
Tony Z

When I taught myself handloading nearly 40 years ago, I did it by purchasing a Lyman Spartan kit (single stage), a set of rifle dies (.270 for the only rifle I had) 130 grain bullets and for a reason I can't remember, a can of IMR 4064 powder.

I don't know if it was the extreme care of a complete newbie, but picking the "potentially most accurate load" from the Lyman manual (45th edition or maybe earlier!), but the 43.5 gr. of 4064 WAS extremely accurate and remains my favorite load for the two .270's I own today.

Beginner's luck? I don't think so! I think it had more to do with the care & caution I exercised as I embarked on this new hobby. Today, I still enjoy either my Redding Big Boss II or the old Lyman Spartan single stage over the progressive I have.