The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2011, 11:42 PM   #26
Jim243

Quote:
even fiured out where the "break-even point" was. Somehow I've misplaced it.
Misplaced IT??? Hell mine is more like a moving target, and it gets further away each day I go to Midway USA's website. (LOL)

Good Luck Jimmy and stay safe.
Jim
Old October 30, 2011, 07:18 AM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
Chuck it into a 3/8" drill or cordless screwdriver, and it is fast and easy on the hands.
Definitely faster, probably cuts much better, easier on the wrists, no doubt. But I still find it murder on the hands/fingers, simply the tightening and loosening of the shellholder. And it's gotta be tight or things don't work.

I'd love to have little prongs on the shell holder... like a miniature Captain's wheel like from the U.S.S. Minnow, ya know?

I really should upgrade to a better trimming system... but I've used the Lee tools for years.
Old October 30, 2011, 07:29 AM   #28
wingman

If your in to accuracy then once you find your reloads are more accurate then commerical cost of reloading disappears.

I've reloaded 40+years and prefer my reloads to commerical never use commerical unless I can't find brass and firing those are distasteful.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:51 AM   #29
Mike40-11

Quote:
Quote:
Just wait till that Lee press doesn't cut it anymore. Then you buy a Dillon 550b and 30 carbine dies, 9mm set up, 40 smith set up, 45 acp set up, 308, 223, 243, ect.... That is when your money saving gets spendy.
Oh yeah, hit that point quite a ways back. I still use the Lee for competition rifle stuff though!

I THINK I'm still ahead on money, especially with prices these days. But I am most certainly NOT going to figure up the total I've spent on tools.....
Old October 30, 2011, 10:28 AM   #30
mapsjanhere

It's really hard to see a break even point on something you can buy for $.30 a round. I started reloading for my 300RUM, store price $3 a round. I had my money back by the time I was through the first 100 rounds (barrel break-in basically).
Of course, I had spent another $500 by then on other "absolutely necessary tools" like a digital dispenser, but that's another story.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:39 AM   #31
jimbob86

Quote:
It's really hard to see a break even point on something you can buy for $.30 a round.
Depends entirely on how much you shoot..... If you are saving 10 cents a round, that's $5 a box of 50 ........ and it's probably better ammo.

$5/ box adds up pretty quick for me.
Old October 30, 2011, 12:34 PM   #32
Chaz88

Quote:
even fiured out where the "break-even point" was. Somehow I've misplaced it.
LOL I put that thing in a safe place twenty years ago, so that I would know exactly were to find it. I have searched high and low for it many times but I have not been able to find it since.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 30, 2011, 04:20 PM   #33
c.j.sikes

reloading tools

i am 80 yrs. old and started reloading when i was 20. i have own and used all type of equpt. good advice is buy once and get the right stuff. i say get a copy of the blue press, dillon equpt., buy only what you need at first then add to later. i have a 650, two 550, sq. deal, lyman single holder for making 22 cal. bullets from spent 22 l.r.and numerus other dillon equpt. he has a lifetime warrenty and is very helpful if you call them. what more can i say? it is a great hobby and it took me a lifetime toget here but i love it. have fun! cjs
Old October 30, 2011, 08:16 PM   #34
Lost Sheep

c. j. sikes is wise, but expects a great deal much of us

Quote:
c.j.sikes
reloading tools
i am 80 yrs. old and started reloading when i was 20. i have own and used all type of equpt. good advice is buy once and get the right stuff. i say get a copy of the blue press, dillon equpt., buy only what you need at first then add to later. i have a 650, two 550, sq. deal, lyman single holder for making 22 cal. bullets from spent 22 l.r.and numerus other dillon equpt. he has a lifetime warrenty and is very helpful if you call them. what more can i say? it is a great hobby and it took me a lifetime toget here but i love it. have fun! cjs
That's what I suggested in the preface to my thread: "Budget Beginning bench you will never outgrow for the novice handloader" which was informed by my recent (July 2010) repopulation of my loading bench. It is what I would have done 35 years ago if I had knownthen what I know now.
rugerforum.net/reloading/29385-budget-beginning-bench-you-will-never-outgrow-novice-handloader.html

Here's the bad news.

Most handloaders don't know what their needs will be next month, much less next year, and aside from that, their needs will probably change over time.

I don't think any progressive will be the ticket for me, but I had to use one for a while before I knew that. So, I bought and traded, bought and traded.

It's a wisdom chase. Good judgement comes from experience Experience comes from bad judgement. That homily is the near opposite of this one: The wise man learns from his experiences. The truly wise man learns from the experiences of others.

It is hard to pick the right one the first time you choose.

That's why there are divorces.

Lost Sheep
Old October 31, 2011, 11:20 AM   #35
brickeyee

Quote:
a bullet holder
A what?

Hopefully you mean a shell holder.
Old October 31, 2011, 12:38 PM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
a bullet holder
Bullets on my bench are held in boxes (long term) or case necks/mouths (short term).