The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2017, 12:50 AM   #1
towman32

Electronic powder measure

Hey all,
I'm looking into purchasing either the hornady electronic powder measure or the rcbs. I know rcbs is approx $100 more but quality and function is more important to me. Thoughts or suggestions? I'm mostly rolling 308.
Old January 2, 2017, 03:42 AM   #2
Gregory Gauvin

IMO any electric dispenser is an unnecessary investment.
Old January 2, 2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Reloadron

I have and use a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 which was given to me a few years back as a gift. While I have not tried any of the online hints and hacks for it I have no complaints. It works well and does what it is supposed to do throwing accurate and consistent charges repeatably. That said I have no experience using any of the similar electronic powder throws out there right now. Overall I like it. It is a "nice to have" as I was loading using my Lyman M5 long before any of my other scales found their way into my reloading life.

Ron
Old January 2, 2017, 07:15 AM   #4
jmorris

I have a couple of charge masters, I wish they gave the user information on the parameters, I would like to turn off the auto zero feature.

They are pretty easy to use and work well enough. My homemade auto trickler has a better resolution though and cost less to put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACd3yt0J3Bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxBSOOL7Ks
Old January 2, 2017, 07:35 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

towman32 I have a Hornady electronic powder measure and it does work well but its not for me, I find myself double checking each load so all it ends up being is a powder thrower. I will sell it to you cheap and its like new.
Old January 2, 2017, 07:37 AM   #6
BWM

I like my Pact high speed powder dispenser have had this for years with out any trouble. Would by one again.
Old January 2, 2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Road_Clam

I have the Chargemaster 1500 combo. Absolutely love it. There is no "direct" time savings by using an electronic dispenser, but there is several "indirect" net gains by using an ED. The primary time saver is you don't have to fiddle with fine tuning your manual drum PD. With ED's you key in your desired 42.2 grain charge and that's immediately what you get. No need to test 10 or so dumps to calculate an average charge. The next time saver is not time saved per say but time during the charge cycle can be spent on other tasks. I typically perform brass prep tasks (such as chamfering trimmed casings) while my 1500 is dropping a charge. There is also the advantage of monitoring the weight of each drop. You can't do this with a manual dispenser unless you are weighing each manual drop on your scale. I load 11 different calibers, and I do a lot of experimentation so the ED is the best way to go in my situation.
Old January 2, 2017, 09:25 AM   #8
jmorris

Quote:
With ED's you key in your desired 42.2 grain charge and that's immediately what you get
If your definition of "immediately" is 15-30 seconds per charge. If you don't want to wait on one, you better have more than one or something else to do.
Old January 2, 2017, 10:13 AM   #9
Reloadron

Quote:
If your definition of "immediately" is 15-30 seconds per charge. If you don't want to wait on one, you better have more than one or something else to do.
Immediately being a relative term.

I have loaded quite a bit of .308 Winchester using it. Powders like IMR 4064 or AA 2495 throwing 42 to around 45 grains I would guess averages around 20 maybe 25 seconds. I really never give it too much thought as I am not in any hurry to get powder from canister to case. On average I throw powder for around 100 to 200 cases at a sitting. I just check the first few and after that just charge the cases.

Had mine not been a gift and knowing now what I have learned using it would I buy one? Absolutely. Do we "need" one? No, again I see it as a nice to have, like a chronograph or many other tools.

Ron
Old January 2, 2017, 10:33 AM   #10
603Country

I have a Lyman electronic thrower. If it dies, I'll get another one.

Push button to throw a charge
Transfer powder to a case
Push button again, and while I'm seating a bullet, the next charge is thrown.
Transfer powder to next case
Push button.....

I think it's considerably faster than using a balance beam, manual powder thrower, and trickler.

Ball powder throws better than stick, even using electronic thrower.
Old January 2, 2017, 10:39 AM   #11
MarkCO

Had an RCBS Chargemaster, actually two of them since the first one crapped out. Cost me $75 or so to get a new one from RCBS. Biggest waste of time and money I have ever spent.

I use a volumetric (RCBS) that is about 2/10ths light and trickle in the last bit by hand. Faster, more efficient and a lot less frustration. That is for single stage. SDs always in the single digits.

On the Progressive, I check charges every 100, but I don't trickle those. SDs in the high teens is typical.
Old January 2, 2017, 12:00 PM   #12
ed308

I recently purchased the RCBS for my precision .308 loads. I like it. I also use it for my M1 Garand and 270AR. I usually drop to just below the load I want then trickle for precision. For Garand or 270AR loads, I let the Chargemaster do all the work. It's a lot easier and faster than fiddling with my Redding manual powder measure.

Last edited by ed308; January 2, 2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old January 2, 2017, 03:02 PM   #13
Road_Clam

Electronic powder measures are a great advantage over manual drum type drops for metering long cut stick powders such as 4064. I quit using 4064 when i was using my RCBS drum dispenser. Now with the CM 1500 im happily back to using 4064.
Old January 2, 2017, 07:36 PM   #14
sbwaters

Hornady works for me

I keep a chart of adjustments to make different powders load without too many over charge stops.

When I do get an overcharge, I pinch out a tenth or two and trickle up to the charge.

I like it. Easier than the volumetric powder drop that needs a constant check on accuracy. I use it for 9MM, .45, .308, 30-06, and 12 gauge shotgun. I like the ease of changing powders and measures.
Old January 2, 2017, 08:05 PM   #15
Nathan

I have the Hornady. I use it every time I reload. It works well for me. It never over or nder throws rifle powder. Maybe 1 or 2 times in the last 3-4 years.

I use it mostly for 45-70, 12 ga slug loads and 300 WSM. It has been a huge improvement in speed!

With pistol, I just use it as a scale.

What questions can I answer?
Old January 4, 2017, 09:23 PM   #16
reliable

I have the hornady and am very satisfied. I do back it up on occasion with a 505 scale, but it always shows the exact same charge. Take care. Larry
Old January 5, 2017, 12:36 AM   #17
towman32

Thanks for the info! I was looking on amazon reviews of the rcbs and the hornady, they both have a 4.5 star. So it made it hard to decide. @NHSHOOTER what kinda deal you thinking?
Old January 5, 2017, 09:29 AM   #18
ed308

I went with the RCBS for the memory. But it's more money compared to the deals currently available on the the Hornady unit.
Old January 5, 2017, 10:34 AM   #19
towman32

Well I guess I will start with the cheaper one (hornady) and if it fails return it and try the rcbs. Thanks everyone
Old January 5, 2017, 11:18 AM   #20
jmorris

Not sure when they will go on sale again but the RCBS 1500 combo were $200 before Christmas after the rebate.
Old January 5, 2017, 12:35 PM   #21
ed308

Yep. Picked on up for that price at Cabelas. The Hornady was around $169.