The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2013, 05:10 AM   #51
Gster

I just love reading these "what is your favorite or the best powder?" threads. There are so many combinations. That's what makes reloading so much fun. Here are the results of a titegroup work up in my fairly new 1911 @ about 18 yrds.
Center mass is .45 and head shots are 9mm, also loaded with titegroup.

Old September 1, 2013, 06:13 AM   #52
WESHOOT2

I misunderstood the question

I consider W231 the best single choice for 45 ACP loading, but my favorite is Power Pistol (followed very closely by N350).
Old September 1, 2013, 09:33 AM   #53
Toolman

The ones I use are:
True Blue, 231, 700X & Bullseye.
Old September 2, 2013, 12:46 PM   #54
pgdion

I actually didn't care for W231 in the .45acp so much. I liked Unique a lot better. It seemed less snappy, more of a push and the accuracy was good. So my favorites remains Power Pistol for higher loads and Unique for everything else. My son however loves the W231 for his .38spl +p loads (a light .357 load).
Old September 2, 2013, 12:52 PM   #55
Pilot

I use both Titegroup, and Universal Clays for .45 ACP, but think I prefer the Clays as it is a little less snappy.
Old September 2, 2013, 03:02 PM   #56
Nick_C_S

Yesterday, I loaded my first .45 rounds ever with Power Pistol. 8.5g's w/ 185g JHP. Haven't shot them yet. When I do (hopefully this week), I will chrono them.

Now Power Pistol is basically the same speed as HS-6, and I've had good luck with HS-6. So we'll see how it goes.
Old September 4, 2013, 07:26 AM   #57
rodfac

Winchester 231, is one of the very best powders for virtually any hand gun caliber you care to load for. It's a far better metering powder than either Unique or Bullseye, and more versatile as well. For light to medium velocity loads, again in most any hand gun caliber, you can't find a better choice. Check any reloading book, and you'll find it listed in nearly all calibers. Were I confined to one powder for all my hand gun needs, it would be 231..or it's exact duplicate, HP38.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 23, 2014, 07:35 PM   #58
youngun

I've been a fan of a casefull of BlueDot behind a 230gr Gold Dot.
I took my 4" bbl up to 960ish before backing down to 920, running a few cases through it ten times to watch expansion, no troubles. I'm doing 9.4gr at 1.23" but it's a bit silly. I'm about out of powder, looking at switching to Power Pistol, maybe in the 850-880 range.