The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 19, 2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Anyone still shoot metalic silhouettes ???

this is something I've always wanted to do... I have several guns that would work for nearly every class...

... I did finally get steel target specs, so I can get some made... but every available internet reference I find to IHMSA is at least 2 years old... ( they appearenly used to hve a big group of shooters from MN , but all their info is 2 years old as well ???

I have my own 300 yard range, I do an annual invitational rifle & pistol shoot on my range ( just to insure I kept the range up to snuff ) & I had planned to dulicate IHMSA targets, so if I ever wanted to compete, that I'd be on track... now I'm thinking about doing similar sizes & weights of targets, but either doing something for my rifles, or of critters of my own design... maybe rabbits, prairie dogs, maybe a deer for the long shot ???

anyone shooting steel yet ???
Old July 19, 2007, 10:53 AM   #2
The Tourist

No, sir, I don't. And it's probably been over two decades.

Many things happened. I used to enter competition at a gun club in Columbus, Wisconsin. To my knowledge, this was the only place in my locale that had these contests.

Second, the gun I used at that time, a nickel plated SW 29, gave up the ghost from the constant pounding I gave it from practice.

Then I got into automatic pistols. I started to buy things like 1911s, an SW 39 and 59 (neither ever experienced a stoppage) and a whole slew of smaller self-defense pistols.

Then (sigh), my gun collection and my wallet met Mr. Terry Tussey.

So, besides an extensive collection of custom pistols, and a chrome guzzling Harley, I also blew a whole bunch of money on nonsense things like a home, food, a wife...

I never heard that clang of steel again.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3
RocketFoot

I used to bust iron with my .44 at 100 yards on pig silhouettes, but I haven't done it for years. It was only at the range...not competitive. I may have to start again...nothing like hearing that metallic report from a direct hit!

Member: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old July 19, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

"T"...

I never heard someone with a nice Harley & a collection of custom guns sound so sad...

I currently mount my paper targets on steel drums, so if the guns report isn't too loud, I here them thump the drum...

I'm going to try to have a set of 10 each - 1/2 scale steel targets done up, out of 1/2" steel for each, so my buds & I can shoot stages of 5 each, at each distance...
Old July 19, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
The Tourist

"I never heard someone with a nice Harley & a collection of custom guns sound so sad..."

Just trying to be funny, and of course, I failed.

I consider myself quite lucky to have a great firearms collection, a custom bike and wife who made sure we made it to the suburbs.

BTW, I called Terry a few weeks ago. He sounds upbeat, and even wanted me to return a .380 for a better/smoother trigger. I don't fire the 1911 he built me for IPSC much any more--in fact, it probably needs a new recoil assembly spring.

I do have a Colt Enhanced laying around here someplace. Had the modifications been available at the time, I might have had Terry put a +6-inch slide and barrel on a 1911, and a reliability package for truncated lino slugs, and used that for steel.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

it was likely the big sigh...

I've got a Witness 10mm that might work ok as far as autos go at field pisol distances... hmm... maybe my scoped Automag 3 in 30 carbine would be a fun auto ???

also I've been thinking about "jazzing up" my 2nd CZ-52... my gun building buddy claims that the roller lock action of the CZ-52, should be more inherently accurate that most of the "normal" auto action styles...

otherwise I have several revolvers, incuding a Raging Squirrel, a stainless 357 Max Dan Wesson, a Blued 44 Mag Dan Wesson, & a slug of Thompson Conteders, actions, barrels & scopes...

... I'm really looking forward to clanging some steel myself...
Old July 28, 2007, 02:54 PM   #7
striker55

Ihmsa

Years ago I was a big time competitor, shot 3 matches a month and practiced the other weekend. Had a sweet ruger super blackhawk, xp100 and browning buckmark for 22 silhouettes. Sold all those guns and now shoot silhouettes in my backyard with a pellet gun. Nothing like hitting steel, especially those rams at 200 meters. Miss those days.
Old July 29, 2007, 07:23 PM   #8
PJack

Steel

Wheel Man, I live in AZ and several of our ranges have steel targets. Ben Avery Shooting Rage has their own website (www.basfaz.com). We have an entire range of nothing but steel targets, all shapes sizes and ranges. Since this range is operated by the state of AZ you won't have any problems finding someone to give you some advice if you want to make your own.

I also took my boys through a Tactical training course in Ohio (www.tdiohio.com) where we spend two entire days shooting steel targets from 8 feet to 50 feet.

Nice thing about steel, repaint them after shooting, they look good as new. Paul