The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 26, 2000, 01:16 PM   #1
rlgarman

I have been wanting to get into the Cowboy Action sport. I have a Ruger SA convertable in .32mag/32-20 with adjustable sights and a modern hammerless side by side double 12ga. Is this a good start? If I had the 12ga. barrels cut from 28" to 20 or 22" would I need it rechoked or would cylinder bore be O.K? I see in my latest Shooting Times that there will be a regional shoot in Oct. in Quincy Ill. Where can I get more info on this? I have to work most weekends so maybe I won't be able to do much but plan ahead to at least spectate.
Old February 26, 2000, 06:24 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Go to the SASS web page, find a place by you and go out and see a few matches before trying to go to a Regional Match. Or better yet participate in a few before you go to a Regional. The only reason I say that is to ease you into the sport first. Most Regionals and National Match are SASS members only.It's a lot of fun. Bet you can't see one without having to join in the fun.
Old February 27, 2000, 03:58 AM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Yes, your off to a good start with your equipment. Cylinder bore is fine as most shotgun is shot 8-16 yards. Just be sure shotgun does not have automatic ejectors or auto ejectors are disconnected. Length of shot gun is personal taste. I have an IGA 20 ga in 20". Have gotten use to that. So when wife got 1897 Winchester pump she had her barrel cut to 20". Next you should get lever action rifle. Nice if you could also find one in 32-20 and keep pistol and rifle in same caliber. Eventually you will need another revolver. Also keeping with the theory of guns in same caliber (for you 32-20). So now your ready to have fun. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited February 27, 2000).]