The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2005, 05:22 PM   #1
hawken50

what would yield a denser pattern?

12ga, 2 3/4", full choke
20ga, 3", extra full choke

which would give me denser patterns for turkey?
Old May 1, 2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Death from Afar

It really depends on the size of shot and the type of shot ( steel, lead, copper coated lead). I would suspect the 20 due to the higher pellet count, but if the choke is too tight, pellets get bent and distorted in the forcing cone, which will cause flyers. you really need to pattern both.

Having siad all of tha, I would go for the 12 as it has more pellets.
Old May 1, 2005, 06:55 PM   #3
mete

Depends on the gun and ammo - lead , hardened lead, plated ,buffered ? They all make a difference. And that's why you should always pattern the ammo.
Old May 1, 2005, 07:09 PM   #4
branham91

Mossberg

I went turkey hunting for the first time this year and I got LuCKY. I bagged one the first time out. People say turkey hunting is harder than deer hunting but that is not the case in my experience. I went to Walmart and Bought a CAMO- mossberg 500. I used the "full choke that came with the gun" I bought Remington "nitro turkey" #5 loads in 3" shells. I killed my turkey at 47yards!!! I would buy this combination if possible. I don't know how good 2 3/4 shells are but I would not go below a 3" shell. Seasons come and go and so I would not sacrifice one season by not having the best equipment. THe mossberg 500 was bought a walmart for $230. You use the supplied choke and the load I discussed above. I worked for me-- Good luck
Old May 3, 2005, 04:25 AM   #5
arcticap

I would go with the 3 inch shells with the extra full 20 ga. I have patterned this exact combination with fairly good success using an extended Briley choke tube. Also, using 20 ga. Turkey loads with buffer vs. the non-buffered 12 ga. 2.75 inch loads gives the 20 ga. another advantage. (# 6 shot)