The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 7, 2016, 08:12 PM   #26
acepilot

I bought 1000 rounds this past weekend for $0.07/round. I could tell you where, but I'd have to kill you.

Seriously, I haven't seen many, if ANY, .22LR for at least the past year, but then I visited a new to me gun shop and they had twelve 500 round bricks on hand and quite a few 100 rounders...CCI (500 for $49 and Blazer for $35). I bought up that last 2 bricks of Blazer 'cause I'm cheaper than the average bear.
Old January 8, 2016, 02:09 PM   #27
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
The big box department stores (mostly Walmart) in my area still don't have 22 ammo and if they do get some, it's sold within minutes according to the sales people.
Exact same here. Not only that, but it's sold to the SAME PEOPLE every time. My greatest wish is that the price tanks for whatever reason, and these people are stuck with hundreds of thousands of rounds they have to sell at a loss. I would consider that profound justice.
Old January 9, 2016, 09:46 AM   #28
jclayto

Around 4 years ago I purchased a 9mm smg and quickly shelled out $550 for a .22 conversion kit. Around that same time I purchased a 5,000 round case of CCI Blazer for $189.

The past few years have made me regret the conversion kit purchase. Not accounting for my time, It is honestly less expensive to load and shoot plated 9mm than .22 at current prices. I miss the good 'ole days.
Old January 9, 2016, 10:26 AM   #29
MarkCO

https://www.freedommunitions.com/22LR-Ammo-s/58707.htm

I have shot about 1500 rounds of it. Good stuff.
Old January 9, 2016, 06:14 PM   #30
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclayto
Not accounting for my time, It is honestly less expensive to load and shoot plated 9mm than .22 at current prices.
Yup. I can load 9mm for around $0.10/round. When I see .22LR going for that, I have to admit I ask myself why I'd even bother. If I want to practice, I can practice with a full power round that doesn't recoil much in a gun I'd actually use for defense.
Old January 9, 2016, 06:50 PM   #31
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyvel
Those of you who are old enough to remember the "gas shortage" of the 70s also remember that, after it went over a dollar a gallon, it never went back to 35 cents a gallon.
As late as winter 1999-2000 I paid 46 cents a gallon, that was in Tennessee on a trip to Florida.
Old January 9, 2016, 09:57 PM   #32
Andy Blozinski

Gander Mountain had a Black Friday special on CCI Mini-Mags with no limit. It was about 7 cents a round. They didn't even sell out. I went by a few days later and there was still a box sitting on the same display table.
Old January 10, 2016, 05:57 PM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

Academy has had quite a stack recently. It's behind the counter though.
Old January 10, 2016, 08:33 PM   #34
FITASC

Quote:
Jeeez, it doesn't seem like that long ago it was $10.00 a brick.
I remember $7/brick and buying cases of 6250 rounds for $95 as well......(still have some of it)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 10, 2016, 10:36 PM   #35
Hal

Quote:
It has become apparent, thanks in large part to the hoarders, that some folks with more money than brains are willing to pay obscene prices for it, so the manufacturers are saying "Hmmm. Why should we bring it back to pre panic prices if people are stupid enough and willing to pay more?"
Check out these prices...
http://cartridgecollectors.org/ammunition-catalogs

Quite an eye opener.

I recall clearly the days of $7.99 a brick for bulk .22 ammo on sale.

I also seemed to recall that ammunition prices were sky high at one point.
For instance - in 1954, a box of 50 .22lr sold for $.70. That's a penny a shot.
Translate that into today's money and it comes out to - - about $.12 each

In 1960, $.78 - - about $.12 each in today's dollars

In 1970. $1.04 - - about $.12

In 1981, $2.15 --- about $.11 each in today's dollars
Old January 11, 2016, 03:20 AM   #36
tnertb

I only recently got into the .22lr game but I've had not much problem stocking up on it. I've paid anywhere from .04.5 cpr to .08 cpr.

Between Gander and Cabelas (buy online ship to store for free) my closest is full.
Old January 12, 2016, 08:22 AM   #37
RiponP90

I would honestly say the easiest place to find it is online. Our store has generally sold it for around 7 cents a round depending on the brand. A lot of people will b*tch and complain about that price but hey, I need to make money and I have to go off what my supplier charges me. At the moment my supplier can't even get me any 22LR and by the time they can it is usually already spoken for by our regular customers. I've found that usually the smaller online stores (like ours) are the easiest place to find it because people generally don't know they have it.
Old January 12, 2016, 04:47 PM   #38
johnwilliamson062

I can find it pretty regularly, but not the brands I want.

I was at walmart yesterday nad they had some other rimfires in stock. Kind of ticked me off. What are these companies wasting time on changeovers for when there is no 2lr on the shelf?
Old January 12, 2016, 06:58 PM   #39
Fuzzymaster

ammofast.com 9.99 shipping up to 25lbs, and usually ships same day.
Old January 15, 2016, 08:10 PM   #40
Rembrandt

Found 4225 rounds today....at two stores and a gun show. Came out .048 cents per round. Best day I've had for some time. Of course that doesn't include gas and $7 to get into the gun show. (Winchester, Blazer, Remington, and Federal)
Old January 15, 2016, 08:14 PM   #41
Tony Z

Was at Grice's in Clearfield, PA yesterday and the shelves were full of a wide variety of .22 ammo, with no restriction sign. As my stock is now at 7,000+ rounds, I didn't purchase any any can't comment on price.
Old January 17, 2016, 07:09 PM   #42
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
In 1960, $.78 - - about $.12 each in today's dollars

In 1970. $1.04 - - about $.12
Certainly not here! I shot at a gun club in 1968, in the basement of our High School. If you didn't bring your own ammo, you could buy it from the instructor for 90 cents a box, which was ridiculous, as most places were selling it for 50-65 cents a box-sometimes 39 cents on sale. Needless to say, we always brought our own. I also remember later when we bitched about it going up to $7 a brick.
Old January 17, 2016, 09:08 PM   #43
Hal

Quote:
Certainly not here! I shot at a gun club in 1968, in the basement of our High School. If you didn't bring your own ammo, you could buy it from the instructor for 90 cents a box, which was ridiculous, as most places were selling it for 50-65 cents a box-sometimes 39 cents on sale. Needless to say, we always brought our own. I also remember later when we bitched about it going up to $7 a brick.
Best check

$7 in 1968 money translates into $47.74 in 2015 dollars.
Which figures down to $47.74 /500 = $.09 - still higher than today's' prices. $.07)

$.50 a box in 1968 figures out to $3.41 in today's money or $.06

Also - - how positive are you of those prices?
Your remembered prices exceed the dealer cost from 1968.
Dealer cost in 1968 for .22lr High Velocity ran from $.65 to $.76 per box of 50.
Retail prices were higher.

I can't really dispute your recollections since I wasn't there.
But - there are published price lists (follow the link in my original post) that have prices from that period that seem to run contrary to what you recall.
Old January 19, 2016, 01:33 PM   #44
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Also - - how positive are you of those prices?
Your remembered prices exceed the dealer cost from 1968.
Dealer cost in 1968 for .22lr High Velocity ran from $.65 to $.76 per box of 50.
Retail prices were higher.
Unshakeable. As I said, we were horrified to have her charging nearly a dollar for what we were buying for half that. Most of our purchases were from Epps Sporting Goods. I don't care what anybody else was charging other than SE Michigan at the time. And if something else shows prices much higher for that area, it is wrong, because I paid it myself. The 7 dollar brick was in 1968 at K-Mart, bought by my BIL, just before a trip up north, probably about 6 months later than the gun club, where we were going to enjoy shooting .22s, and we were all surprised at the increase.
Old January 20, 2016, 06:32 AM   #45
Hal

Quote:
And if something else shows prices much higher for that area, it is wrong, because I paid it myself.
Yeah ---those pesky official copyrighted confidential dealer prices lists are always wrong.....
Did you bother to go back and follow the link and look at the price lists?
For that matter, did you even read my first post?

I said I too clearly remember the days of $7.99 a brick ammo on sale.

I also had a nagging feeling that ammunition "back in the day", wasn't all that cheap - - in relative terms to what the dollar was worth back then.

The published price lists I linked to confirmed it.

So called "cheap .22LR" ammo was a fairly recent phenomenon - we're talking 1990's here.

The present prices on .22lr - about $.07 per round - - are pretty consistent with the historical prices - up until about the 1990's.

IMHO - - people overlook the fact that - -"back in the day, when .22lr was cheap" - never really happened because the value of the dollar has gone down so much.

Last edited by Hal; January 20, 2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old January 20, 2016, 01:32 PM   #46
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Yeah ---those pesky official copyrighted confidential dealer prices lists are always wrong.....
Did you bother to go back and follow the link and look at the price lists?
For that matter, did you even read my first post?
Did you read mine? What are you still yapping about? First of all when did pricelist ever mean price paid? Would a company still pay those prices if ordering 10 or 20,000 rounds? Likely not even close-I found that out when I had a FFL. You asked a question-I answered it. Just because it's not the answer you wanted to hear doesn't mean squat to me. 1. I couldn't care less what it translates into today's dollars. 2. I couldn't care less that something says I should have been paying more, when we very clearly weren't. 3. Certain things stay in your mind forever, and since this was the formative years for me with guns, I remember nearly every fine detail, and the price of ammo, for the only caliber I was yet interested in when I started shooting, was much more than a fine detail.
Old January 20, 2016, 06:21 PM   #47
Hal

Quote:
Would a company still pay those prices if ordering 10 or 20,000 rounds? Likely not even close
You are kidding right?
LOL!
10,000 is only 20 bricks.