The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2010, 03:10 PM   #26
Skewed

Quote:
You mean like these?
As I said, I thought that was a marketing strategy. You can never tell now a days what is real or just a way for a company to take your money.
Old March 25, 2010, 03:15 PM   #27
spacecoast

Quote:
Yes, visually everything looked ok and loaded ok. Nothing had to be forced in anyway, everything slid right into place with out any resistance, other than the 3 rounds that jammed.
That's kind of amazing (to me at least) since as I understand it the GAP was introduced since Glock couldn't get the 45 ACP in its smallest frame pistols.

Of course this is all speculation without nailing down the model # of your dad's Glock.
Old March 25, 2010, 04:27 PM   #28
Skewed

He let me know that it is a G30, which from what I can tell is a ACP model.

Last edited by Skewed; March 25, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old March 25, 2010, 06:24 PM   #29
spacecoast

Yes it is, so that's good. No more speculation on how you weren't injured. Before I started expanding the case mouths enough, I was getting some bullet shaving from .45 ACP and it was causing problems with my Ruger, so you may have had some lead or crud on the case, or maybe a crimp problem.

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_models.htm
Old March 25, 2010, 07:38 PM   #30
Skewed

Quote:
Yes it is, so that's good. No more speculation on how you weren't injured. Before I started expanding the case mouths enough, I was getting some bullet shaving from .45 ACP and it was causing problems with my Ruger, so you may have had some lead or crud on the case, or maybe a crimp problem.
I will say that I know for a fact it was not dirt on my cases, they are tumbled till they are new, maybe even better. I'm ex Navy, so if its brass it must shine. I also think the first place to look would be the crimp as well. I too had a similar problem once with my 1911 and tightening the crimp up fixed it. The Glock must have tighter tolerances.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:38 PM   #31
David Wile

Hey folks,

So now we are talking about using 45ACP ammo in two different 45ACP pistols, a 1911 and a Glock. The ammo seems to work properly in the 1911 but sometimes hangs up while chambering in the Glock. Obviously not all chambers are going to be the same size with the exact same headspace. In this case, it would appear the Glock chamber would be smaller than the 1911.

Skewed mentioned having a similar problem in the past with his 1911 and he solved the problem by, as he said, "...tightening the crimp up fixed it." The whole idea of fixing an oversized 45 ACP cartridge by "...tightening the crimp up..." send up a red flag to me. The 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth and should not have any crimp to be "tightened up."

We often hear mention of taper crimping such pistol bullets that headspace on the case mouth. Some folks translate "taper crimp" into a crimp that is virtually something just a hair shy of a full roll crimp as sometimes used on cases like .357 Mag or 45-70. Whatever a taper crimp is, it is nothing like a roll crimp. In fact, a taper crimp should not even be able to be seen by the eye. Essentially, a taper crimp is more akin to removing the belling of the case mouth so that the finished case mouth is virtually straight along its length.

I don't know why these bullets fit the 1911 while having problems with the Glock, but I would throw out the possibility that the belling on the case mouth was not quite completely removed on those cartridges that were a problem. Some or perhaps most of them apparently chambered and fired in the Glock. Skewed might try carefully checking the case lengths of all the cases. If they are not all the same length, shorter cases may not be long enough to have the belling of the case mouth removed when seating the bullet and taper crimping the bell out of the case mouth.

If you do have some shorter cases which do not have all the belling removed, they may fit one chamber while hanging up on another chamber that is slightly tighter. Consistent case length in these cases is very important to insure equal case mouth belling and then consistent case mouth taper crimping. Without consistent belling and taper crimping, consistant cartridge diameters cannot be expected.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old March 26, 2010, 09:10 AM   #32
Skewed

Quote:
Hey folks,

So now we are talking about using 45ACP ammo in two different 45ACP pistols, a 1911 and a Glock. The ammo seems to work properly in the 1911 but sometimes hangs up while chambering in the Glock. Obviously not all chambers are going to be the same size with the exact same headspace. In this case, it would appear the Glock chamber would be smaller than the 1911.

Skewed mentioned having a similar problem in the past with his 1911 and he solved the problem by, as he said, "...tightening the crimp up fixed it." The whole idea of fixing an oversized 45 ACP cartridge by "...tightening the crimp up..." send up a red flag to me. The 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth and should not have any crimp to be "tightened up."

We often hear mention of taper crimping such pistol bullets that headspace on the case mouth. Some folks translate "taper crimp" into a crimp that is virtually something just a hair shy of a full roll crimp as sometimes used on cases like .357 Mag or 45-70. Whatever a taper crimp is, it is nothing like a roll crimp. In fact, a taper crimp should not even be able to be seen by the eye. Essentially, a taper crimp is more akin to removing the belling of the case mouth so that the finished case mouth is virtually straight along its length.

I don't know why these bullets fit the 1911 while having problems with the Glock, but I would throw out the possibility that the belling on the case mouth was not quite completely removed on those cartridges that were a problem. Some or perhaps most of them apparently chambered and fired in the Glock. Skewed might try carefully checking the case lengths of all the cases. If they are not all the same length, shorter cases may not be long enough to have the belling of the case mouth removed when seating the bullet and taper crimping the bell out of the case mouth.

If you do have some shorter cases which do not have all the belling removed, they may fit one chamber while hanging up on another chamber that is slightly tighter. Consistent case length in these cases is very important to insure equal case mouth belling and then consistent case mouth taper crimping. Without consistent belling and taper crimping, consistant cartridge diameters cannot be expected.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
I only do this as a hobby, I do not do anything special with any of my loads. I think some of the things I said have been possibly misconstrued as in the use of some of my terminology. I would like to add that any place that I have a range of possible settings, I start right in the middle of the range so that I do have room for adjustment up or down as needed. So when I say "tightening up", that is what I am referring too. And in this case it seems I should have been referring to the belling of the cartridge, as this has caused me problems in the past and "tightening up" the belling fixed the problem.

I do appreciate every ones input into this as I have learned a valuable lesson. This particular case the difference between ACP and GAP never really dawned on me. I knew there was a possibility of a difference but I had never specifically heard that GAP is different from ACP. It was never like hearing the rule about .38 and .357 cartridges. I did always keep my ear open in case something raised a flag concerning a difference, but I never have.

As I said, I only do this as a hobby and I do not run in a circle of friends that have the same interests such as this to really keep up with things, I kinda just stick to myself. I believe this is the first time my loads have ever been used in another gun other than my own and I do not give my loads to others to use. I know s%@t happens and I could not handle someone using my loads and something go wrong and someone getting hurt on something I made. So I have always refrained from sharing my ammo. So, to me, it is very conceivable how I could have some problems with some loads in different guns, as every gun is different and will feed cartridges slightly different from one to another and some fine tuning being necessary.

So as far as the lesson I have learned, I will re-evaluate everything I have been doing so far and recheck for anything out of spec, now that I know what to look for. I have unfortunately never have been able to fix things without knowing what needs to be fixed. I also made the mistake of making an assumption which is where I made the biggest error in judgement. Now that I really think about it, when I started reloading my .45, Glocks did not exist or at the very least they were not widely used or known as they are now to be a major consideration.

Thanks again all.

Last edited by Skewed; March 26, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:27 AM   #33
meatmachineman

I am not a glock owner, but came upon this thread doing some research on the GAP. The OP mentioned using reloads. On another forum which I've been a member for some time now, many members who are Glock owners have mentioned Glock being somewhat selective on the handloads they'll digest. I don't know this to be true personally, but seems to me this would be the likely explanation. Many of the Glock owners mentioned doing a small amount of experimentation with bullets, seating depth, etc and come up with loads that cycle as reliably as factory.
Old April 18, 2010, 01:42 PM   #34
TXGunNut

Not using lead bullets in the Glock, are you Skewed? Glocks are super guns but they don't like lead!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.