The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 8, 2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Maser

Goofy HD situation last night

Ok so last night my brother and I were all alone at home and we both were in my room. All of a sudden I hear a bunch of noise outside and I didn't really think much of it because of all the feral cats that roam around. But the sounds were loud and definitely not something a cat would make. So I go and get the HD gun in the house (Remington 870) and I look for a flashlight and then took 2 shells out of the gun and gave them to my brother who I had hold onto my Mossberg 500 and he also called the Police while I went to investigate. I'm out in the backyard and I walk over to the fence on the left side of my house and I am shocked at what I see. There's this dumpy looking redneck kid who looks no older than my little brother and he's trying to steal my brother's bike. All the noise I was hearing was him trying to throw the bike over the fence. I then approach him with the shotgun and flashlight pointed at him and he throws the bike in my direction and he runs past me. The stupid kid then runs right into the deep end of my pool and the kid couldn't swim. So I got a bit of entertainment watching the kid try and not drown and I fished him out with the pool net and as I was doing that the outside lights came on and 2 LEOs came into the backyard with my little brother. They took the kid away. I sure hope that kid got taken behind the woodshed a number of times for that because I love my brother and he don't have many things he holds dear to him, but he loves his bike.
Old July 8, 2007, 04:49 PM   #2
j-framer

All's well that ends well.

Glad nobody got hurt.
Old July 8, 2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Arizona Fusilier

Yeah, second that.
Old July 8, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Too bad not all criminals are that incompetent.

Just as a thought, unless there is something outside worth dying for, you might consider just staying indoors next time. You are much more safe inside than outside in that sort of situation.

While the kid was apparently alone, he very well could have had an accomplice and given that it was night and that you were investigating the origin of the sound, you very well could have missed the other bad guy who would then have an advantage on you. In such a case, you risk being harmed by the bad guy you don't even realize is present.

While nothing bad happened to the good buy CHL holder in the link...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ght=albertsons
...he was so fixated on getting to his wife that he completed missed spotting one of the bad guys he saw enter the store and suspected as being a bad guy.

Also, by going outside to investigate a noise in the dark, you run the risk of the ploy being some form of trick to draw you outside for less than honorable reasons.

Quote:
So I go and get the HD gun in the house (Remington 870) and I look for a flashlight and then took 2 shells out of the gun and gave them to my brother who I had hold onto my Mossberg 500 and he also called the Police while I went to investigate.
I thought this was interesting. Because you unloaded two shells from your gun to give to your brother, you went out to investigate with less than a full compliment of ammo. Since you were the one most likely to encounter a problem situation, then going into that situation without a full load of ammo was not a good way to approach things. Given that you had time to download ammo for your brother and given that you did not have to go out to investigate, then it would have been much wiser to load the Mossberg from your stored ammo.

I don't know the age of your brother, but apparently he is old enough to handle a 12 ga. If you were going to investigate, then it might have been more prudent to do it as a team or at least having your brother cover you.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; July 9, 2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old July 8, 2007, 09:41 PM   #5
eltorrente

Wow, that's crazy.

One time when I was 13-14, my Mom, myself, and a friend of mine were home late at night by ourselves (My Dad was pulling a long shift at the hospital). We had only lived there for a couple weeks at this point.

My friend and I heard some footsteps coming from the third floor. It was a very old, big house, and the third floor was originally built as a "servants quarters" for probably very wealthy people back around the turn of the century.

So anyway, we were distinctly listening to these footsteps up there, and I went to wake up my Mom to tell her. When I get to her room she was already awake and sitting on her bed, listening to the footsteps.

We knew we weren't imagining things, so she grabbed the phone and I grabbed the 16gauge, and we sat at the base of the stairs and called the police. We were terrified. We should have left the house but we sat there guarding the only exit instead.

The policeman responded in only a few minutes, and went upstairs cautiously and started searching. There was noone there, and no sign of entry or anything. He told us it was just raccoons or something. We were positive it was footsteps, but he told us to relax.

In the coming days, and months, we continued to hear many footsteps and doors/cabinets slamming and things like that. Soon we had all had enough incidents and spooky things happen that we were convinced that the house was haunted. There was even a particular room that was always about 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house, adding to the creepiness. We lived there for about 10 months, then we moved to a non-haunted house.
Old July 8, 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
WhiteFeather93

Ha ha funny you should mention...

Goofy or just plain creepy I too had an encounter with something less explainable.

I used to live in a house that was located in a city. The house was well over a hundred years old. And from what I gathered it was the house that the architecht lived in whom designed that specific area and whereabouts. So one night sound asleep in my room (third floor attic) And I heard a loud crash. So I woke up grabbed my MB 500 and croutched at the top of the stairs listening. My mother resided in the front room, 2nd floor which was right at the base of the steps. She opened the door and screamed and I heard someone run down the first set of stairs and stop. So at her scream and t\he dashing sound I bolted down the stairs and stopped pearched on the last step. My mother in histerics said she saw a man in a tuxedo standing at the top of the stairs leading to the first floor. And then he went down stairs. So I instructed her to calmly inform the police that we had a intruder and his descripition and that I was armed and to give my description. I called down that I was armed and the police have been called. It was dead silent except for a weezing sound coming from down stairs. My mother walked out of the room to inform me they were enrout when we both heard just the fantest whisper of a noise saying. "There is no one alive down here, sorry" And that was it. No more sound. Cops came found no means of entry and nothing was missing, no trace of there ever being anyone in the house.
Old July 8, 2007, 10:28 PM   #7
eltorrente

^ creepy, indeed.

People who have never had an experience like this always say "there's no such thing as ghosts" or "it was just the wind" etc..

One day in the house I was talking about, after the incident I mentioned, my friend (that same friend) and I were in the kitchen getting a drink. My friend all of a sudden says, "i just got the creeps- like someone is here with us or something". I thought he was just joking around, since I didn't "feel" or hear anything at all, plus it was the middle of the day and I figured ghosts only came out at night.

So, going along with it, I said, "If there's someone here with us, let us know and give us a signal." At that instant, the radio we were listening to all of a sudden went to nothing but static, and the volume seemed to go lower then higher again, then the music came back on. Neither of us were even close to it, or the power cord or anything. We both turned white and our jaws dropped, then we went outside to finish our drinks. Could have been a coincidence, but that had never happened before and added to all the other noises and occurances, that was enough proof for me.

My Dad always said we were imagining things and refused to believe it, but over time he seemed to believe it himself. In fact, none of us would go to the creepy third floor, and it stayed empty. One night we dared my Dad to go to the third floor by himself, and he refused - saying it was because it was too hot up there lol.

Oh yeah, we ALL used to see what we ended up calling the "ghost cat". I swear a cat would come out of the kitchen/dining room, and run upstairs. So many times, one of us would get up and say "Did you see it?!?!" "I saw it again!!" - and we'd go looking around and no sight of anything.

So after months of doors and cabinets slamming and heavy footsteps, and the ghost cat, we were outta there.
Old July 9, 2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Maser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I thought this was interesting. Because you unloaded two shells from your gun to give to your brother, you went out to investigate with less than a full compliment of ammo. Since you were the one most likely to encounter a problem situation, then going into that situation without a full load of ammo was not a good way to approach things. Given that you had time to download ammo for your brother and given that you did not have to go out to investigate, then it would have been much wiser to load the Mossberg from your stored ammo.

I don't know the age of your brother, but apparently he is old enough to handle a 12 ga. If you were going to investigate, then it might have been more prudent to do it as a team or at least having your brother cover you.

Well, the HD gun does have a tube extension and holds 8 shells in it. Things were just happening very fast and I know I didn't think the whole scenario out as well as others with more experience than me. See, in my house we have a rule regarding firearms. I am allowed to have my guns in my room as long as my dad has the ammo locked up in his room. My brother also has 2 guns himself, but they are kept in my room. So basically the only gun that's loaded in the house that I have access to when my parents are gone is the HD gun.

I am 17 and my bro is 9.
Old July 9, 2007, 08:32 PM   #9
ethernectar

Quote:
and my bro is 9.
...and you gave him a shotgun to protect the bike, and put him at risk of shooting some other kid...

Brilliant.
Old July 10, 2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Tanzer

When you hold a flashlight you give the BG something to shoot at. Invest in a floodlight for the back yard.
Old July 10, 2007, 09:27 AM   #11
mikejonestkd

You gave a nine year old a deadly weapon and placed him in a potentially lethal situation?

Please tell us this is all in jest...
Old July 10, 2007, 11:08 AM   #12
DougO83

Quote:
You gave a nine year old a deadly weapon and placed him in a potentially lethal situation?
How is giving his brother some form of protection while he called the law putting him in a lethal situation? I survived a potential home invasion at 10 because the lock on my dad's closet was broken and I grabbed his .30-.30 and popped a round off through the door while on the phone with local PD.

Matt 6:33
Old July 10, 2007, 05:35 PM   #13
chris in va

A) I wouldn't have pointed the gun at a 9 year old trying to steal a bike, and

B) Arming a 9 year old isn't a good idea. At all.

Interesting how everyone preaches not to go investigate, but it's really hard not to do when you hear something making a ruckus in your back yard. You did what came natural.
Old July 10, 2007, 06:49 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Interesting how everyone preaches not to go investigate, but it's really hard not to do when you hear something making a ruckus in your back yard. You did what came natural.
People preach this because what comes natural can be what gets you killed or injured. What was out there worth dying for? Once there, what is governing the actions of the 9 year old armed brother? Giving the kid a shotgun while you go investigate a bump in the night is crazy, especially if your 9 year old brother with the shotgun gets spooked when you return to the house.
Old July 10, 2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Hosses

Everyone is armed in the trailer parks; even the infants.

And the 17 year old kid who has his own child