The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2001, 12:51 PM   #1
branrot

Berry's Bullets Questions

A few questions regarding Berry's (www.berrysmfg.com):

1. Is this a reputable company? If I order from them, will my order come as described and quickly? Is the quality good?

2. What does "double struck" mean? What is the process, and what is the advantage? Is it the same price, and should I get double struck or regular?

3. Why are the 9mm hollowpoints the same price as the 9mm round nose? I always thought hollowpoints were more. Should I get roundnose or hollowpoints for target shooting? I know the round nose feed better, but I'd like to put some hollowpoints through my guns to make sure my defense ammo feeds fine.

4. Why are the 38/357 flat point and hollowpoint 125 grainers so much less than all the other 38/357 bullets? Is there a reason, or is is just cheaper because they make more of these?
Old August 25, 2001, 01:27 PM   #2
bullet44

Well I can answer some of what you ask, yes, great
company,items are shipped on time,quality service.
I use their 9x18(mak) and 9mm, I like the 124grfp.
They are the most accurate I have found in 9mm.
I intend to use other cals they produce.
My guess on cost of 38 is the bigger the bullet
more cost. I have always used 158grswc in 38 for
plinking.
But you can't go wrong on berry bullets.
Old August 25, 2001, 02:35 PM   #3
jtduncan

Get the double struck Berry's bullets.

They are more accurate.

Otherwise buy the Rainiers.

Or if you'd like to shot at full FMJ velocities, get the West Coast since their plating is thicker than Rainiers and Berry's.
Old August 25, 2001, 02:59 PM   #4

I can only answer one of your questions. Yes Berry's is a good company, they sell quality merchandise, deliver promptly and are very nice on the phone. I would suggest you just call them and ask them all these questions. Most of the answers on here will be pure speculation. I shoot West Coast bullets all the time, but I buy them from my local dealer and he only stocks certain sizes. By the way, Berry's is not that far away from me (neither is West Coast) and it is located in what I consider some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old August 25, 2001, 05:12 PM   #5
Wayward

I use Berry's 124 grain flat points for my 357 SIG loads. I have not experienced any excessive fouling pushing the bullets at 1300 fps plus. I've always ordered from their website and delivery has been prompt.
Old August 29, 2001, 11:06 PM   #6
saands

Well ... I think you go the "thumbs up" on the company already ... but I'll add another resounding YES ... just 'cuz they are good! I'd rant if they weren't so it is only fair.

My experience is that you are basically buying lead by the pound from them. If you want heavier bullets, you pay for the extra lead ... I really think it is that simple.

Personally, I don't like the shape of their hollow points ... they tend to be really long, at least in the .38 and 9mm sizes.

I have used their .38/.357 in full house magnum .357 loads in excess of 1500 fps (way in excess!) and have never had a problem, but if I recall correctly, they drew the line at 1300 fps over the phone ... officially.

I've never asked for the double-struck versions and have never noticed them advertized in the calibers I shoot (.38/.357, 9mm, .40) ... so I can't advise that way, but my loads are at least as accurate as the Fiocchi or Hornady that I have used.

I wouldn't hesitate to jump into an order of 1000 of the round nose, truncated cone or flat point ... but I'd buy 250 of the hollow points to be sure that you like the shape though, before going for the GREAT prices of the 1000 boxes.

Hope this helps,
Saands
Old September 1, 2001, 01:30 PM   #7
Willy

I just started ordering from them, but their quality is great, and their customer service is good as well.

I especially like the tumbler I got from them. In my opinion it was quite a deal and it performs very well.
Old October 21, 2001, 04:38 PM   #8
ICryoman

The West Coast bullets do not appear to have a thicker plating/jacket than the Berry's bullets. This afternoon I dissected both bullets. Plating in both cases measured .005 to .006" thick. Cheers, Cryoman
Old October 21, 2001, 09:47 PM   #9
mike4045

If you shoot them in a Glock watch for pressure. Plating sometimes works like lead and causes problems. I would try the West Coast brand first they come the closest to FMJ ammo. Last time I checked with my supplier Jacketed bullets were about $5 more a case. I think it's worth the $5. West Coast bullets are also proven in competition.

It's sounds like I'm am against Berry's and Ranier, but if you want a jacketed bullet use the real thing. By the way I use Montana Gold exclusively in 9mm and 40. In 45 I use lead, not enough pressure to worry about.

Mike4045
Old October 23, 2001, 12:32 AM   #10
Waterdog

I ordered 500 Berrys 115gr rn double struck. Whenever I buy plated projos, I check weight and dimensions. The bullet weights were + or - 2grs, the O.D. was .355 to .359. Now, I don't know about you guys, but a .004 difference seems excessive for plated projos. West Coast never exceeded .0006 deviation in OD dimensions.

This might be something you all should look into before purchasing anybodies plated projos.

Waterdog