The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 30, 2014, 03:51 PM   #1
hollowpointt

drill and tap 870

Can a Remington 870 express b drilled and tapped for scope mount.
Old November 30, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2
psalm7

Iv seen some that came factory with a rail on the reciever , but Iv always thought the reciever is to thin . Intresting topic though I just bought a 870 Tactical .
Old November 30, 2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Pahoo

Better way to skin this cat !!!

Quote:
Can a Remington 870 express b drilled and tapped for scope mount.
Yes, but there is a better way to skin this cat. You gun and certainly your call but I'd look at other options. In the past, I have mounted the saddle type mounts on 870's and 1100's and they work out just fine. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 30, 2014, 05:58 PM   #4
hollowpointt

saddle

I to have given the saddle mount some consideration but reading all the internet bs I thought I would pose the question. What saddle mount did u use?
Old November 30, 2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Pahoo

I'm Cheap !!!

Quote:
What saddle mount did u use?
The last one I used, was a Weaver but it did not look like anyone, in this link. I have also used B-Square and recall a Tasco. To be honest with you, I don't remember paying this much.
If you use one of these and the instructions may say so, tape the side of the receive that comes in contact, with the saddle plate. Of coarse you know that you buy a smooth or rifled slug barrel, used or new. ....

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...n+saddle+mount

Be Frugal and;.
Be Safe !!!
Old November 30, 2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

This is a problem with any modern gun which has a barrel tang that houses the recess for the breech locking lug. They bore the receiver out too thin to drill and tap, unless is is a pretty small hole for something less than a #6 screw, so you can actually get some threads in the holes. Then, any mounts are pre-drilled for a #6 or 8, which are too big. The best idea would be to use a rail, and drill it for smaller screws, such as a #4, and use fine or extra fine threads.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Pahoo

Recalibrating

HP
I'm going to have to "Recalibrate" some of my initial response. This morning I went to one of my LGS and there on the counter was an 870-Express and sure enough, it was drilled and tapped, on "top" of the receiver. I thought perhaps it came that way from the factory as the receiver was also ceramacoated in a flat color and synthetic stock. It looked pretty good and was done by a local GunSmith. I then called the smith and he said this was perfectly fine and there is plenty of meat on the top-side of the receiver as well as working with steel. Takes a standard Weaver base and associated 4-#6 screws. It's an Express so what the heck. ....

Be Safe !!!