The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 11, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
banditt007

Prvi Partizan Soft point good bullet?

Ordered myself 500 rounds of 30-06 150 grain soft points of Prvi Partizan. I bought this as cheap paper punching ammo. I plan on doing lots of practice with these rounds, and provided they shoot accurate i was going to use them for whitetail/black bear next year. Can anyone give me any bad experiences or reasons on why these bullets, for example, would be a worse choice vs my currently used, and liked, winchester power points? (reguarding on game performance)

Does anyone have any experience using the prvi partizans' soft points on game. likes/dislikes?

Last edited by banditt007; May 12, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Wrothgar

Interesting story about this stuff:

I shoot it out of my Kar98. I was at a buddies place out in the country and we found an old basketball that must have rolled over from the neighbors. We claimed finders keepers and decided to play target practice with it. Oddly enough, it kept the bullet in it after I shot it, letting me see it after it expanded. Now, you would think this would be cool. But...

They are hollow. As in, they are just a lead shell with nothing in it. It didn't really mushroom, it looked like a banana peeled back with no banana in it. Now, you said it was for paper punching, and that is exactly what it is good for. I would never take it hunting.
Old May 11, 2009, 09:17 PM   #3
fisherman66

After reading some positive reviews in hunting situations I decided to give the soft points a go on last year's whitetail hunt in my 7x57. I put one in the heart/lung area and watched the shoulder drop and tail tuck between the legs before she took off. I watched from the stand and took note of last known location. I waited for 20 minutes before following, hearing a bleat while I waited. I had NO signs of blood. Long story short, after spending a good part of dark thirty looking and a couple hours the next morning I never found her. Very upsetting.

No, I can't recommend their ammo for anything other than paper punching.
Old May 11, 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Wrothgar

Fisherman:

Yeah, I was very disappointed. I'm glad I had the experience with the basketball to let me know to NEVER take it hunting. They are not true "soft points". They're more like empty points than soft points.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Jeff F

I shoot their .303 180 grain soft points for Elk and they have not let me down in the last four years.
Old May 12, 2009, 05:24 AM   #6
wnycollector

I have used privi .308 fmj to punch paper and wolf gold (re-packaged privi) 8mm SP's in my 98k to take a 6 point whitetail 2 years ago. I shot it through the right shoulder area and it dropped in its tracks. LOTS of expansion! My 8mm ammo had a real soft point bullet though just like this http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpag...eitemid=162743
Old May 12, 2009, 05:37 AM   #7
Flipper 56

I have used 6.5 x 55 in my Tikka T3. Took a doe with it last year, recovered the bullet and it expanded almost as well as a 44 mag that I used to take a 3 point buck. Hit the doe on the run and it went down in sight. It's a great bullet......can't imagine where the complaints are coming from
Old May 12, 2009, 06:49 AM   #8
Wrothgar

I wish I had pictures of the bullet I pulled out of the basketball so you guys can understand what I'm talking about.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:12 AM   #9
snipecatcher

Sounds to me like the lead core passed through the basketball and the copper jacket stayed behind. Pretty common for the core/jacket to separate on cheaper bullets, even FMJ. I wouldn't have any problems using them on deer. With good shot placement and a decent caliber, deer are very easy to kill, regardless of how crappy the bullet is. Now if I was going for something bigger/tougher, I would want something more proven, but I wouldn't worry about it for deer.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:32 AM   #10
precision_shooter

Is the pic from the OP the actual ammo that was ordered? They look more like hollow points than soft points. Maybe it's just me, but usually soft points have a good amount of exposed lead on the tip. I just don't see it in the pic.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 12, 2009, 06:20 PM   #11
banditt007

opps bad pic. i believe the pic i put up is FMJ. I will change it and find a soft point pic of the ammo. Looks like any other soft point w/ the exposed lead tip.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:57 PM   #12
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I thought I saw somewhere that they used Sierra projectiles.

Quote:
Sounds to me like the lead core passed through the basketball and the copper jacket stayed behind.
This is what I assume happened.
How would they get 150 gr from a hollow copper projectile unless it was very long?
Old May 12, 2009, 08:43 PM   #13
precision_shooter

Quote:
How would they get 150 gr from a hollow copper projectile unless it was very long?
The same way they get 160+ grain bullets for the .45acp made out of 99.99% pure copper. I have some and they give a whole new meaning to hollow point.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 12, 2009, 10:32 PM   #14
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.

Quote:
The same way they get 160+ grain bullets for the .45acp made out of 99.99% pure copper. I have some and they give a whole new meaning to hollow point.
How much of a cavity do these .45 have?
Are the Copper 160 gr longer then jacketed Lead core?

Quote:
They are hollow. As in, they are just a lead shell with nothing in it. It didn't really mushroom, it looked like a banana peeled back with no banana in it. Now, you said it was for paper punching, and that is exactly what it is good for. I would never take it hunting.
"They are just a Lead shell with nothing in it."
When I first read this I thought you meant a Copper Jacket. Are you able to provide any more details?
Old May 13, 2009, 08:22 AM   #15
precision_shooter

I would say at least 1/4 inch deep. Maybe more. Remember 99.95% pure copper. NO lead at all.

Last edited by precision_shooter; September 11, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:40 AM   #16
Huntergirl

Used the 6.5x55 on antelope. No problems at all. Worked perfectly. Of course, my shots were perfectly placed too...
Old May 15, 2009, 02:21 AM   #17
Todd1700

Killed a 200 lb hog with a 7.62x54 180gr Prvi soft point from a Mosin Nagant rifle. One shot, bang flop. No problem that I noticed. And it has usually been fairly accurate ammo in most of my surplus rifles.

Tags
30-06 , partizan , privi , prvi , soft point