The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 9, 2002, 11:21 AM   #1
Dave Williams

Ohio DTI Training Opportunity Sept 7-8

Ohio DTI Training Opportunity Sept 7-8
Just a notice for Ohio area TFLers,

John and Vicki Farnam from Defense Training International will be putting on 2 days of intense training September 7-8 at the National Ranger Training Institute at Hocking College in Nelsonville Ohio. Nelsonville is real easy to get to, about 45 minutes east of Columbus.
This is a great class, I took it last year and learned ALOT.
John's techniques aren't the most "advanced"(whatever that means) or real flashy, but they are street proven techniques that win fights and save lives. It seems like every couple months I'll get an email about some gunfight John's student(s) won or some confrontation they were able to manage effectively.
The Ranger Training Institute range is very isolated, allowing shooting in complete darkness. The night shoot alone in this class is worth the price of admission, in my opinion. Not many people get to practice at night that often.
All shooting is done on rotating steel targets and moving humanoid targets. Also, there is a "jungle walk" type exercise that really gets the adrenaline going.
All shooting is done from concealment, or open carry in duty rigs for LEOs wishing to do so.

Also, for ladies, or fellas thinking about taking their ladies, remember Vicki Farnam is one of the finest female firearms instructors in the nation, and will give female shooters individual attention on the firing line. It doesn't matter if they are complete beginners. She's awesome!

I'll quote direct from the brochure:

Defensive Pistolcraft(formerly Basic and Intermediate Pistolcraft)
"This 2-day program will run all day Saturday, including a low light level component on Saturday evening, and all day Sunday. All aspects of defensive use of the handgun will be presented and exercised. This class is appropriate for shooters of all experience and skill levels, from absolute beginner to advanced practitioners. The student's present abilities will be analyzed and assessed. Utilizing a very low student to instructor ratio, groups will be formed of students with similar capabilities, ensuring that everyone receives an appropriate style and level of training. Training tools will include steel reactive targets, moving targets and scenario based exercises. Upon successful completion of the program the student will have increased his or her ability to proactively counter threats by the effective use of the handgun."

Minimum ammo required is 500 rounds.

Best of all, this class is only $274.00, an excellent value for 22 hours of world class training(class is from 9a to 11p Sat, and 9a to 5p Sun). Yes they take credit cards.

I'm going again this year, hope to see some TFLers there.

Contact Connie Cassidy at (740)753-3591 ext 2330 to register, or contact the program coordinator, Bill Deweese, at (740)753-3591 ext 2321. Or contact the Farnams at www.defense-training.com

Thanks,

Dave Williams
Old September 1, 2002, 11:00 AM   #2
G3

Is DTI holding a rifle course there also? Is that course rifle and shotgun or just rifle?

Thanks
Old September 1, 2002, 03:32 PM   #3
Dave Williams

G3,

The defensive rifle/shotgun is 21-22 Sept in Nelsonville. I haven't taken that yet. Supposed to be an awesome course from what I've heard from other students. I can't decide on a rifle. Although I saw a friends Chief AJ Mini14 Scout and it is AWESOME!

Take care,

Dave