The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2015, 06:13 PM   #1
bungiex88

Reloading for 1 gun

I'm reloading for my only 308 I have. Should I get a neck sizer instead of FL sizing my brass all the time. I don't understand the difference between the 2 can someone explain.
Old June 4, 2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

Hey Bud, a neck sizing die only resizes the neck for bullet tension...
a full length sizing die restores all dimensions.
Old June 4, 2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Average Joe

If your reloading for the same rifle, then you only need to neck size.
Old June 4, 2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Ifishsum

Assuming a bolt rifle - You can back your FL die a turn or so (off the shellholder) and you'll be resizing the neck and only minimally elsewhere, which can increase brass life. Usually the brass will still need FL sized every few firings, when the bolt becomes harder to close. I'm not convinced that a neck only die is the way to go; for the rifles I tried it on it did not seem to improve accuracy to a noticeable degree and I still had to fully size the cases every couple of firings although it was nice not having to lubricate the brass. I mostly now just size them as minimally as possible with the FL die.
Old June 4, 2015, 09:12 PM   #5
mehavey

Quote:
only need to neck size....
No. As I Fish points out, firing gradually moves the shoulder/brass forward
even with perfect chamber fit. It will become increasingly difficult to close
the bolt, and you will need to set the shoulder back.

Note that even in Match Type-S dies sets, they include a third body die for
that very purpose.

Last edited by mehavey; June 4, 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old June 4, 2015, 09:22 PM   #6
bungiex88

OK thanks that was helpful
Old June 4, 2015, 09:43 PM   #7
wingzero

If it is a bolt action, I would get a Lee Collet Neck sizing die (to size the neck),
a Redding Body Die (to resize the body and to bump the shoulder after 4 or so firing) and a Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die.

If semi auto, I would get a full length sizing die.
Old June 5, 2015, 05:38 AM   #8
DAVID NANCARROW

If you already have a full length resizing die and don't wish to spend more on dies, you can adjust it to partially resize your cases. The latest wisdom seems to be using a full length die and measuring from the shoulder to the case head before sizing, and pushing the neck back a thousandth or two for best case life. I was advised to buy a 3/8ths inch spacer and use it over the case shoulder to establish the measurements before and after and it does seem to work.

If your reloads at or near maximum, neck sizing only might cause hard chambering because of the case stretching. Might be okay at the range, but if you are hunting, you probably want your reloads to chamber smoothly.

For what it does, I do like the Lee collet die for a couple of reasons. No sizing die is needed because the collet fingers are pushing the die into a mandrel instead of dragging a sizing button through the inside of the neck. As with most Lee products, its probably the least expensive commonly found neck sizing die out there, so if you don't like using it, you aren't out much money.

I use mine with good results for my low to medium loads, and have to full length resize every 4 or 5 reloads.
Old June 5, 2015, 06:35 AM   #9
darkgael

Size

Quote:
For what it does, I do like the Lee collet die for a couple of reasons. No sizing die is needed because the collet fingers are pushing the die into a mandrel instead of dragging a sizing button through the inside of the neck. As with most Lee products, its probably the least expensive commonly found neck sizing die out there, so if you don't like using it, you aren't out much money.
I like the Collet die also. Some notes about its use are:
1- cartridges must already have been fired in the rifle that you are using;
2- sizing with the Collet die takes considerable pressure. Size the case twice, rotating it a half turn between
3- the collet die only sizes the very end of the case....essentially just the mouth, not the entire neck.
4- once your cases have been fired a few times, the necks will be work hardened and the collet die will not size them. You will need to anneal the cases.