The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2015, 10:48 AM   #1
WVsig

Semi Wadcutters vs Round Nose....

I am looking to order some bullets from X-Treme and I am considering semi wadcutters vs round nose bullets.

These will be used 100% for punching paper! Thoughts. Forgot to mention 38 Spl for the Semi -Wadcutters. I am going to stick with round nose for semis at this time.

Last edited by WVsig; February 18, 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old February 18, 2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Gadawg88

Semi wadcutters make nice easy to see holes in paper if that matters. If you go with the wadcutters you might want to make sure you can load them to feed reliably in your particular pistol or pistols if it is an auto loader caliber before you buy in bulk. If revolver, then no issue.
Old February 18, 2015, 11:14 AM   #3
WVsig

Revolver 38 Spl.
Old February 18, 2015, 11:29 AM   #4
g.willikers

SWC are about all I use in everything.
Revolvers especially.
Only ever had one pistol that didn't like them.
Very accurate, due to their relative length, and nice holes in cardboard.
Also an overall very effective bullet design.
Old February 18, 2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

If you are going to punch paper with more powerful loads than wadcutter loads, then yes, the SWC is the better choice. If you just want typical wadcutter loads, though, use a double-ended wadcutter that fits the cylinder throats. The double-ended wadcutter tends to be very stable both because it is short and because the center of gravity and center of pressure are in the same place, making them pretty resistant to flipping over and tumbling. They cut the cleanest holes, obviously.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 18, 2015, 11:40 AM   #6
hanno

For your .38 try HBWCs or DEWCs. My absolute favorite load is Speer HBWCs over 2.7 grains of Bullseye, the classic "NRA Bullseye Load".

Very mild, accurate and a pound of powder goes a long way.
Old February 18, 2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

I load more DEWC's for 38 special than any other. Like Unclenick said, they're stable and cut a nice hole in paper/cardboard. Next comes the SWC for stouter rounds. Last weekend, I loaded 800 of these two collectively - on a single stage .

I even use DEWC's for IDPA. Now they're not known for speedloading well, but they're fast enough for me. My Model 67 has chamfered charge holes so that helps a lot too. And that sharp hole has made the difference between getting the score or not a few times. Happened just last month, in fact.

I digress.

Point is, if you're punching paper/cardboard, go with the SWC's over the RN's.
Old February 18, 2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Sevens

There is probably only one or two reasons to ever choose a round nose bullet in .38 Special for use in a revolver...

First reason is if you can somehow save money on a bunch of bullets that most folks don't want because they are round nose. Unlikely, as most manufacturers price them by weight and construction, not how well they sell.

The other advantage to a round nose slug in a .38 revolver is that if everything else is equal -- they will give you a slight advantage in how quickly you can get them from a speedloader (or just thumbed from your hand...) in to the chambers of your revolver. There is no ledge or flat surface that needs any help to be aligned with the chamber. A round nose cartridge is going to find it's own way in with very little hassle.

To that end, nickel plated brass also assists with this easy, speedy chambering and also tends to give smoother, easier ejection too.

If you want to knock down objects or ding steel targets, the round nose slugs could give you the advantage of easier chambering. But if your goal truly is punching PAPER, the round nose bullets are probably the worst choice you can make. (outside of shot cartridges! )