The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 14, 2013, 09:38 AM   #26
spacecoast

The goals of the antis are clear and have never been in question. What takes a bit of time is the political calculation of how much to go for and when, weighed against public opinion, the votes in Congress and on the Supreme Court.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:39 AM   #27
Webleymkv

Quote:
I haven't seen any national polls on gun control since the shooting.
Gallup and Rasmussen both have polls on support for AWB's, but they're relatively old being taken on Dec. 19 and Dec. 21 respectively.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:48 AM   #28
Punisher_1

Maybe Hollywood will go back to "CHIPS" style shows where they carry firearms but never draw them or use them. Does this mean they will pull all the plastic M-16s off the toy shelf too? That might be a seperate meeting for Biden with Mattel and Toys R Us, lol.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:03 AM   #29
sundog

This morning on the way to work I was listening to KFAQ (Tulsa) morning talk with Pat Campbell. He was interviewing Stanley McChrystal. The first thing Pat asked him was why he wanted to ban AR15s (comments he made last week on another media). His [the General's] reply was that he had seen the wounds caused by M16/M4 in combat and felt like it was not appropriate for civilian use.

Well, duh. This is exactly the kind of wrong headed thinking that I'm afraid Biden and his folks are using as nothing more than an excuse to further a 'progressive' gun grab which has nothing to do with individual rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

My opinion of these meetings is that they are nothing more than a smoke screen.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:13 AM   #30
Strafer Gott

Re-education camp?

You know that General McChrystal took the same oath that the rest of us did.
Has the meaning of the words changed that much. It sounds as though some remedial training might be in order. It is more cost effective to retrain him, as opposed to the millions like us. Just saying...
Old January 14, 2013, 10:35 AM   #31
sundog

Okay, here's another one for someone to explain.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...gress-debates/

Chuckie Schumer wants RETAILERS to stop sales. Huh? I thought he and D.F. said private sales were the problem. Now I confused -- well, no, not really. I'm not confused, they are!

Come on guys, let's make up our minds!

The REAL problem is that they want the Second Amendment to go away.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Chuckie Schumer wants RETAILERS to stop sales. Huh? I thought he and D.F. said private sales were the problem.
Given th enumber of people who are buying at retail and selling at double that on line he might have a point.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:47 AM   #33
Punisher_1

What would be an appropriate wound to inflict as a civilian? Do they think before they speak?
Old January 14, 2013, 11:51 AM   #34
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
It is more cost effective to retrain him, as opposed to the millions like us. Just saying...
Good luck retraining a general. He already knows everything there is to know and you can't tell him otherwise.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:06 PM   #35
sigcurious

Quote:
Given th enumber of people who are buying at retail and selling at double that on line he might have a point.
Another case of enforce the laws they already have. It seems it would be pretty easy to prove with sting operations that many of the flipped ARs the sole intent was to make money and constituted being in the business of firearms sales without a license. IIRC the statutes defining that area of the law are pretty vague and theoretically broadly applicable.

But of course, playing with your old toys(laws) is never as fun as getting shiny new ones that you can also ignore in short order.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:43 AM   #36
Qtiphky

Once the second amendment goes away, then the 1st won't be far behind. Check your violent crime statistics for Australia and the UK after they enacted some ridiculous bans and compare them to our own FBI database of the same stuff. Scary.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #37
Punisher_1

I would look at statistics for a rough idea but those stats are manipulated at agency levels and then reported to the FBI. Stats have always been "adjusted" to fit the agenda. VICAP is probably the most accurate data collected.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:16 PM   #38
Ben Towe

Quote:
His [the General's] reply was that he had seen the wounds caused by M16/M4 in combat and felt like it was not appropriate for civilian use.
Apparently he has never seen what a .30 or .33 caliber Ballistic Tip (or similar) will do to soft tissue. It makes a 5.56 ball wound look like a massage on a feather bed.

How is it that morons get so much air time?
Old January 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #39
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
How is it that morons get so much air time?
He is out promoting his book. The same book he talked me out of buying as soon as he said all that.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:52 PM   #40
BGutzman

I just got a unwanted email from Whitehouse.gov - supposedly from Biden...

Here is a copy of the text -
Hello --
Today President Obama announced a plan to help protect our kids and communities from gun violence. You're going to hear a lot about it, but I wanted to make sure you got a chance to get the facts, straight from me.
After hearing from Americans from across the political spectrum, we decided to focus on some key priorities: closing background check loopholes, banning military-style assault weapons, making our schools safer, and increasing access to mental health services.
The ideas we sent to President Obama are straightforward. Each of them honors the rights of law-abiding, responsible Americans to bear arms. Some of them will require action from Congress; the President is acting on others immediately. But they're all commonsense and will help make us a little safer.
Now is the time for all of us to act.
Read about the events that brought us to this point, learn about the plan we've proposed to help protect our kids, and then add your name in support to help build momentum for this plan.
Here's what we've put together:
We're calling for requiring background checks for all gun sales and closing the loopholes that allow dangerous individuals to make their purchase without going through one of these checks.
We're asking for a new, stronger ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines that allow a shooter to fire dozens of bullets as quickly as he can pull a trigger. And we're asking Congress to help protect law enforcement by make it illegal for members of the public to possess armor-piercing bullets.
We're going to give law enforcement more tools and resources to prevent and prosecute gun crimes, and we're going to end the freeze on gun violence research that prevents the Center from Disease Control from looking at the causes of gun violence.
We're calling on Congress to help make schools safer by putting up to 1,000 school resource officers and mental health professionals in schools and ensuring they have comprehensive emergency management plans in place.
And we're going to increase coverage so that students and young adults can get access to the mental health treatment they may need.
We know that no policy we enact or law we enforce can prevent every senseless act of violence in our country. But if we can save the life of even one child, we have a deep responsibility to act.
Now is the time to come together to protect our kids. Learn about the plan, then add your name alongside mine:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/now-is-the-time
Thanks,
Vice President Joe Biden

Funny because although I have been to this site I did not give my email information... Oh well but for whatever its worth heres what they are saying.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:06 PM   #41
Alabama Shooter

Remember it is for saving the babies. If you are against it you are a baby killer.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:16 PM   #42
Evan Thomas

Alabama Shooter, you beat me to it. The argument by reductio ad baby-killing does indeed trump pretty much any rational argument.