The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2009, 05:37 PM   #1
JMortensen

Bedding Ruger M77 with tang safety

I finished bedding my M70 Lightweight and was really happy with the increase in accuracy: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...89#post3513389 Now I'm thinking I want to do the same thing on my M77. I know it is a bit different because the recoil lug is at an angle. My question is: Do you still tape up the front, sides, and bottom of the recoil lug on the M77? I had read that the purpose for taping up the bottom was to prevent the barrel from "bouncing" off of the bottom of the stock. I am thinking that should be next to impossible with the M77 because the barrel shouldn't really be able to move up and down if it is glassed in around the recoil lug on the back side. So if that is the case perhaps just taping the front of the lug is the way to go, because the action can still move forewards with the angled lug.

I'm not thinking this will make a huge difference one way or the other, but anyone have an opinion here?

Also everything I'm reading says use the pressure point in the end of the barrel for a M77, but this one is a varmint barreled .308, so I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't do that. I can always add the pressure point later if I feel it needs it. Any dissenters on that opinion?
Old September 17, 2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Scorch

Jon-
bedding a Ruger 77 is pretty much the same as your Model 70. The angled front action screw is designed to pull the action into the bedding when tightened, but other than that is is pretty much the same. Actions don't move forward when you fire the rifle, they move to the rear.

Take the safety mechanism off of the action and tape up the trigger housing. Tape the front, bottom and sides of the recoil lug and the rear tang, and along the sides of the action. Use plenty of release agent. Good luck!
Old September 17, 2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

bedding

Sir;
Other than what scorch has said, which is excellent, watch "side shifting" of that 77! As you glass it (and I'd only glass the forward recoil lug area and none of the barrel) make sure yoyur barrel is in the center of the barrel channel for on the 77s they will have some side to sidfe play in the action. Then, after glassing (use "steel-Bed") I'd float that barrel so a business card would pass underneath the entire barrel!
Good luck!
Harry B.
Old September 17, 2009, 05:08 PM   #4
fisherman66

Harry!

Good to see you back!
Old October 1, 2009, 11:15 AM   #5
JMortensen

Took me a while to get to it, I've been messing with the trigger on my M581 Remington. I did this bedding yesterday, have yet to pull it out of the stock. I thought the recoil lug was angled. Turns out it was just the screw that was angled. I used tape around the barrel to center it in the channel and I did bed the chamber area of the barrel, because I was thinking that if I only bedded the recoil lug, then what would stop the barrel from moving side to side? I taped the recoil lug on front and sides, so theoretically there might still be a little wiggle room in there.

I had read somewhere about a guy who bedded the recoil lug and the tang. I was thinking about doing the tang but it looks like you have to take all the safety crap off, so I might just shoot it first and see if it is better than it was previously...
Old October 4, 2009, 03:47 PM   #6
JMortensen

Popped the action out of the stock. WAAAAY easier than the Winchester to get out because of the smaller recoil lug. Just a slight tap and it popped right out. Now I just need to get a chance to shoot the thing and see if and how much it has improved. I get the feeling that the side to side movement that seems to be inherent in the Rugers and the crappy job of free floating the barrel that I did when I was 14 weren't helping things at all.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:59 PM   #7
JMortensen

Took the gun to the range today, shot some Federal 150 gr factory ammo through it. Shooting at 100 yds, the first 5 shot group once I was on the paper was about 7/8", shot a couple of ~1" three shot groups, then put together a 1/2" 3 shot group. With factory ammo and a tang safety Ruger I think that is pretty incredible accuracy. Very very very happy with the improvement in accuracy with this gun. Needless to say, I think I'm going to leave the tang the way it is and just enjoy shooting it.

This gun has the magazine release button broken off, and several times when I fired it today the magazine released when the gun recoiled. That's a bummer. Maybe someone will see my WTB ad and have a new trigger guard or a magazine release lever that I can install in this one. Until then I guess it's load them up one at a time...
Old October 8, 2009, 07:11 PM   #8
fisherman66

Are you letting to barrel cool? If not, I bet you can squeeze a little more accuracy from it.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9
williamd

Have glassed a few M77s with great success. Front of action, lug and inch or so of bbl adn just a bit at rear tang area. As Scorch sez ... I always try to protect trigger area with tape and am generous with release agent.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:55 PM   #10
JMortensen

I did not let the barrel cool although there was a cease fire in there. Figured that was less of a concern as it is a varmint barreled gun to begin with. The 1/2" group was one of my last ones too...
Old October 8, 2009, 08:58 PM   #11
fisherman66

I forgot about the M77V part. I shoot a tang 77 V in .280 and that sucker will shoot for a hunting rig. I love that rifle. Heavy though.