The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1
strictly1

new to the reloading thing

i just got a dillon 550 with all the bells and whistles. gonna start with mostly 9mm and 40s/w reloads. looking forward to getting some great info from you guys. thanks in advance! any tips? my friend reloads and will be teaching me as we go.
Old December 4, 2007, 02:37 AM   #2
kametc

First off, welcome to TFL
Then.....get ahold of a good reloading manual, and thoroughly read the basics sections concerning powder, primers, brass bullets etc. Pay particular attention to info about bullet size and differences there of. There are alot of "does" and "don't does". You have to be a little more careful when loading handgun ammo. Mainly because you can easily double charge a case. Or on an auto press get a "squib" load. (no powder). Also if your going to load Speer bullets use Speer info. Same for Hornady, Nosler etc and so on. Once you have a good grasp on how to work up a load, then you can try something from scratch. Careful is the key. Shoot lots, and most of all have fun.

Ken
Old December 4, 2007, 02:56 AM   #3
Silentarmy

Load your .40 at the starting load given in the data and don't ever load max! An already high pressure case stressed by each firing can become a bomb and cause some major damage to your firearms if not your face/hands as well!
Don't ask me how I know, it was a long time ago!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old December 4, 2007, 07:45 AM   #4
steve4102

Having a friend show you the ropes is a great idea,but. It is important that you get a good manual (Lyman 48) and read it first. Not the back half that deals with load data, but the front that will teach you the basics of safe handloading. Then when you and your friend sit down for some loading you will be able to understand what he is talking about. You might also be able to teach him a thing or two.

Read first, load second.
Old December 4, 2007, 09:04 AM   #5
remshooter

Quote:
Read first, load second
Yeah, what he said. All of us are prone to bad habits that need not be passed on to the next generation. Learn what is right and stick to it.

Enjoy this journey because you have just begun.
Old December 5, 2007, 07:38 AM   #6
qajaq59

Welcome to the reloading hobby...You'll have a good time, shoot far more, and learn a lot.

Just read the books until you really understand them and then do what they say. And don't take loads from people on the web. There's no one proof reading what we type in here, and any of us can easily make a typo. Myself included.
Old December 8, 2007, 02:08 AM   #7
Thesenator

Good advice ^^^^^ Stick with published load data and check it against other sources if possible.
Old January 10, 2008, 01:22 AM   #8
strictly1

finally got my machine all set up and loaded a 100 of the 40 cal up. used 5.9 grains of winchester 231 with a 135 grain flat point bullet. took them out to the range and was happy to report all worked well and functioned perfect. the next sat. i got up and without breaking a sweat and making sure to watch what i was doing, i still loaded 500 rounds in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. loaded the same set up it seemed to work well. next off setting up the 9mm tool head.