The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
TailGator

Mini revolver ballistics

The velocity data provided by NAA for their mini revolvers makes me question whether the magnum version is worthwhile; the difference in velocities is not that impressive with similar weight bullets, I am guessing because of the abbreviated barrel. I welcome the opinion of others with more experience and training regarding the ballistics of these rounds.

LR: http://northamericanarms.com/ball_lr58

Mag: http://northamericanarms.com/ball_mag58

Background for the question: I never considered the NAA minis to be much more than a novelty, but my wife looked over my shoulder while I was messing about online one evening recently, and she saw the NAA minis and announced "Those are cute. I could carry one of those in my purse." In 30 years of marriage, we have never had less than two firearms in the house (two when we were young and poor, more since with at least a bit of variety), but this is the first time she consented to carry anything. I concede that no .22 is an optimum SD round, but something is better than nothing, and if I get her started with a mini she just might move up to something more effective in the future.

Therefore, my question is: LR or Mag? I rather imagine that the magnum may be a bit harder to control in such a wee revolver, so considering that, the cost of ammo, and what appears to me to be an unimpressive gain in velocity, is the magnum version worthwhile?

Thank you for your considered opinions.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:46 PM   #2
ohen cepel

I prefer the Mag, you can always get the one with both cylinders.

Good bit more power, heavier bullets if you like, defense ammo made for it, snake shot (which I like) and not hard to control in my mind.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old November 13, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

I would have to agree that you should get the convertible. 22LR is cheap to practice with and it takes a lot of practice to become proficient with those Mini Revolvers. I would recommend loading with 22 Mag, as 22LR from that short of a barrel has less energy than a 25ACP round from your typical 2" barrel.

BTW, I have one of each and both have LaserLyte Lasers. They look totally mall-ninja'd out BUT the laser actually makes these little things into semi-real weapons from across the room instead of being a belly gun. I can't imagine anyone putting up any more fight after being shot in the throat, eye, or groin from one.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4
DealHunter

Grips

I'd probably go w. the .22 Mag (Speer has a new Gold Dot designed for short barrels that works alright) but the bigger factor for control I've found has been the grips. A NAA Pug in .22mag w. the slightly larger rubber grips (still very easy to hide away) was easier for me to shoot then a .22lr Mini w. wood grips.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:03 AM   #5
jmortimer

I would for sure go with the Hornady Critical Defense
http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-...tical-Defense/
Old November 14, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Guv

I would go with the Mag just because when was the last time you saw a 22 magnum cartridge with a loose bullet? Quite often you find a LR with a bullet you can rotate or move in the case. I would trust the quality of the mag ammo much more just because of this.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7
west5757

I have the .22mag and it is fun gun to shoot after I got a new set of grips on it. I chose the mag just because it is a little more bullet and not a noticeable difference in my pocket. The ammo does cost more though.