The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2011, 07:39 AM   #1
thunderbird101

Bersal .380 Dimpling on Primer?!?!?!

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I carry and have never had any problems with it, though I have carried it for 2 years and it is beginning to show basic signs of being carried, such as scratches.

Upon unloading it the other day I noticed that a few of the rounds appeared to have dimples in the back of the primer, not deep, but enough to be worrisome! I figured it was from before I loaded the rounds and was just from basic wear and tear. However, to experiment, I loaded a fresh round that had no such dimples. Upon chambering the round and immediately ejecting it, 2 small distinct dimples were present. I tried this with a few other rounds and discovered that chambering and ejecting the rounds left 2 disctinct dimples on all primers! Is this cause for concern, is this normal, or what am I dealing with? I've tried to take pictures to post, but the camera i have can't focus that close up.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Yung.gunr

I'm no gunsmith

I would take it in to a gunsmith. Most of em will give you off the cuff advice as to wether it is something to be concerned about or not. I personally would not carry it loaded until I talked to a smith. Maybe I'm being over cautious but what you are describing does cause some alarms to sound.
Old June 21, 2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Kodyo

Try this: Put the gun on safe and load a round. I say this because with the safety on the bar on the decocker will prevent the hammer from hitting the firing pin in any way. Are the dimples there?
Can you tell if the firing pin is loose or stuck forward?
Maybe you can remove the firing pin from the housing and clean it and see if that helps any.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Pahoo

How's it working for you ??

thunderbird101
Off topic but have to ask you how you like your Bersa and what kind of performance has it provided? Never thought I'd be shopping for a .380 as I sure like my 9MM. I feel this might fill a niche for my needs. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Kodyo

Although you weren't directing your comment to me, i'll help you.

I love my bersa thunder. I think I have about 600 rounds through it so far. I've had one FTF with a non standard magazine. I would highly recommend them!

BTW, here is a small review I wrote on mine:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=bersa
Old June 21, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Pahoo

Kodyo
You are fine and I certainly thank you as well as appreciate your input. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
thunderbird101

The dimples are closer to the side of the primer, irregular and not circular, therefore I do not think the actual firing pin is the suspect here. (THANK GOD!!!!)

POHO,

I would recommend the Bersa, as I have had decent performance with it and find it to be very accurate. For the price it is a phenomenal pistol. Please note, I say "decent" performance, as I have found mine to be very picky on what type of ammo it will run. I have over 500 rounds through it and have only had a few FTE with cheap target ammo. However, I believe these FTE are caused by cheap target ammo and over oiling. However, it is not like a Glock which will typically run regardless of anything you throw at it (personal opinion here, you will find PLENTY of people who disagree w/ this statement about Glock!) All in All, I would definitely recommend it, but there ARE MUCH BETTER pistols out there, but you will also be paying quite a lot more for those as well! Hope this wordy explanation helps! Cheers!
Old June 21, 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Kodyo

The only other thing I can think of causing the mark is the extractor.
Can you cycle a round and check if the extractor mark lines up with the mark on the cartridge?
Old June 22, 2011, 09:09 AM   #9
bull bob

Check to see if there are any burrs around the firing pin hole in the breach wall. I have seen this with some guns of lesser stature that were not finished very well. If there is a burr, a small file should take care of it. It would most likely be from creating the firing pin hole at the factory and just wasn't machined out perfectly. A CNC machine doesn't always brush off the dust and admire it's finished work like a true craftsman would.
Old June 23, 2011, 12:16 AM   #10
michael t

Come over to http://bersachat.com members will help you or we will tell you where to send it for warranty.