The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 3, 2007, 10:35 AM   #1
wachtelhund1

Refinishing Stock

Hi first time posting here. I'm in the process of refininshing a shotgun stock. It is stripped and the butt stock is at my gumsmith to have a new recoil pad installed. When I get it back I'll fill, seal and finish with Casey's products. Question is what do I use on the checkering to seal it form the elements?
Old February 3, 2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Usually, you apply a THIN coat of whatever finish you're using on the rest of the stock.

The idea is to seal the checkering without filling it up and reducing the "sharp" feel of the checkering.
One coat is almost always enough.
Old February 3, 2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I generally mask off the checkering and refinish the stock. When I am done with the stock I strip off the tape and chase the old checkering with a pointing tool to get back to bare wood. I then apply some of the same finish and use a toothbrush (old or at least not mine) to spread the finish and use a cloth to blot up excess finish. It is sometimes better to reverse the process also. Point up the checkering, mask and finish the checkering when the stock is done.