The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 07:55 PM   #26
K1500

I carry a G20sf and do the same stuff you do with it. I prefer it over my 329pd, but the 329 is no doubt a great choice as well.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:00 PM   #27
testuser

I'd also vote for the 10mm here, if the threat are wolves. Follow-up shots are a lot quicker and magazines hold quite a bit. The .460 Rowland is probably overkill for what the poster wants to do and doesn't seem to fit the situation.

On the other hand, if I want the most powerful ammo, then I'll reach for a .44 magnum revolver (or better) for it's absolute reliability. Follow-up shots will be slow due to recoil with any handgun in this class, so I'm unlikely to fire more than a few shots. Magazine capacity (the .460 Rowland doesn't hold many rounds, anyway) and fast reload of an auto take a backseat to the versatility and reliability of the revolver when all I'm likely to fire are 3 or 4 shots. As a bonus, there is no safety to manipulate on a DA revolver.

As for the 10mm, I've never overstated it's power, it's at or above the .357 magnum with greater magazine capacity. Seems well matched for an animal the size of a Wolf.

If you're a 1911 fan, then would a .38 Super work, as well? Maybe with 147 grain bullets. Not quite as powerful as the 10mm or the .45, but a few extra rounds and excellent penetration.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:30 PM   #28
dayman

A 10mm glock would be a pretty good choice for most anything smaller than a brown bear.
A .44 mag would probably be overkill for either lions or wolves - just make sure go with a bullet designed for 4 legged foes rather than 2 legged.
In all honesty, if you're comfortable with, and shoot your 9mm well it would probably work just fine.
With a lion, if you see it and shoot it, it's almost certainly going to run away. And, if it attacks you before you see it, it won't much matter what's in your holster.
I wouldn't worry too much about wolf attacks though. You're statistically quite a lot more likely to get killed by bees (or lighting for that matter) than wolves. If you don't have livestock, they generally stay away from other predators. If you see them around, a couple shots into the ground would probably do it. Just don't act like prey. Like all canines they're hardwired to chase things that run away from them, and they're quite a lot faster than we are.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #29
militant

Bear mase would be your best bet.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:04 PM   #30
Beretta686

I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet (or I missed it), but get the 10mm and load it up with Buffalo Bore's smoking hot 10mm rounds and you're good to go.

Though some of it's more strident devotees may get a little over the top with their claims in that it will stop a tank or cause automobiles to explode after a few shots like on TV, the 10mm is an amazing cartridge. I wouldn't be willfully shooting a bear with one, but as an all-around field gun it's fantastic.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Sharpsdressed Man

There is no such thing as "overkill" from a handgun on critters that can tear you up. The more you can whack them with, the better. I DO like the 10mm, but a .44 Mag is a little better. But, life is a compromise, and weight to carry all day, number of rounds to pack, and which you prefer all enter in to it.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:17 PM   #32
Deja vu

Hot loaded 10mm or 357 magnum would be ok but I would go with a 44 mag minimum. For a semiauto I think a 50AE.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 4, 2013, 09:20 PM   #33
idahoJoe

I would think 10mm would be great for lions and wolves. I don't know about grizzly.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:43 PM   #34
wyobohunter

I have encountered and shot wolves. They are not like the hyper aggressive super tough movie wolves. Anything you'd pack for any other dog will be adequate. You'll prolly only see the tail end of them running the other direction anyway.

Now, Idaho - Griz country, I wouldn't fart around with a semi auto anything short of one of the Desert Eagle guns.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:49 AM   #35
brianidaho

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a G20. Sounds like a good fit for my needs. Decent round, good capacity and light enough to be readily packable. Oh, and not priced to break the bank, doesn't hurt a thing.
Old February 5, 2013, 01:30 AM   #36
Stiofan

Honestly I just pack my Blackhawk in .41 mag as a backup, I carry bear spray which is my first choice.

Our wolves haven't yet attacked any adults, I don't know if any children have even been threatened. Pop over Fernan Saddle and you're into Grizzly country but they are few and far between. Biggest threat is those moose, especially in fall and if you are up on the Coeur D'Alene or St. Joe rivers they are pretty thick and can get mean. A handgun won't do much to stop a charge, I don't even know if the bear spray would work, they can get crazed.

I was mid stream on the little North Fork a couple years ago and heard some bushes breaking behind me over the water, 12-15 yards behind me a cow and calf were crossing the river. The cow looked at me, decided I was no threat, and moved one with the calf in tow. With my back to them and my hands full of rod and line, nothing would have helped that close. Point is, you can analyze this 50 ways but out in the wild nothing will go to plan.

Lot's of people up in those mountains during the summer, I'd guess 90% don't even carry. They all seem to make it out OK. Our bear density is nothing like Montana.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:39 AM   #37
NWCP

First off if I'm in bear country and there's a good possibility of an encounter nothing in the handgun world will top a long gun for defending yourself. My .338 WinMag BAR would give me a sense of well being in the event of a grizzly or black bear. While a 10mm, 44 Mag, 41 Mag, or a .45 Super would make decent backup weapons a good rifle will save the day. That and Bear Spray will give you adequate protection unless you are unfortunate enough to startle the bear in which case you're not going to have but an instant to respond. As for cats and canines I'd feel comfortable with my AR in 6.8SPCII. Coyote have been involved in several recorded human attacks with a couple involving predation... like getting eaten predation. Any pistol from .22WMR on up will take care of the canines and cats, but not the bears until you get into the largest of the semi autos and revolvers. I'd have a rifle handy in bear country. JMHO
Old February 5, 2013, 08:02 AM   #38
wyobohunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianidaho View Post
I'm going to keep my eyes open for a G20. Sounds like a good fit for my needs. Decent round, good capacity and light enough to be readily packable. Oh, and not priced to break the bank, doesn't hurt a thing.
It sounds to me like you really want a Glock 20 and are justifying the purchase as a wilderness packing gun.
If you can except the limitations below.

1-10mm is way underpowered for bear but plenty good for puppies and kitties. I had friends & coworkers that were charged by big bears when I lived in AK. They tell me that no gun will seem big enough. If you pack the 10mm in Griz country make sure you carry pepper spray as well.

2-A really good wilderness pistol can also take small game at close range (shot shell loads). Does anybody make these for 10mm? Would you be able to make them yourself? Think... I got lost, weathered in or injured and I'll be out here longer than expected scenario. There is plenty of water but some chow would be nice... Oh look, grouse :-)

3-Magazine capacity is irrelevant, reliability is paramount and penetration is a must if you opt to not carry pepper spray. You will not be surrounded by a zombie wolf horde. Although that'd be a cool movie.

If those limitations are acceptable go for it.

Last edited by wyobohunter; February 5, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:01 PM   #39
jmortimer

+ 1 Very good points
Old February 5, 2013, 08:31 PM   #40
Ruger45LC

If it has to be a pistol, I'd opt for a .40 or .45.

10mm is good, but it's not something you're likely to shoot very often. Ammo is hard to come by unless you buy it online, which right now is running low on stock. Locally you're going to pay out the rear for it if you can even find it. It's just not a popular cartridge.

The .45 ACP itself would work just fine, and if there's any doubt, bring out the .45 Super. Same dimensions as the .45 ACP, just thicker brass loaded to higher pressures for more power. I load for it and shoot it out of my Gen4 Glock 21. 255gr hardcasts at over 1150 fps. Buffalo Bore and a few others load for it, and it's powerful. Plus you have a weapon that you're likely to shoot more often as .45 is popular. It would work in the 1911 with a tougher spring.

Same deal with the .40, it's popular and if you want warmer loads, you can get warmer .40 loads that will deal with anything (read: within reason) that will be shot with a semi-auto pistol. With a 6" G24 barrel and handloads it's easy to get 200gr hardcast or JHP at over 1200 fps and 180gr hardcast or JHP at 1350+.

Last edited by Ruger45LC; February 5, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:16 AM   #41
alaskabushman

I live in Alaska and married an Idaho girl so I understand your concern. I have a buddy up here in AK who is a fly fishing guide for a lodge. He prefers to pack a 10mm Glock. We only have black bear on our island but they get big. He also takes his Glock with him when he goes wolf hunting as a sidearm. Really I dont think you can go wrong with a 10mm, .40 OR a .357 sig. The .40 will be the easiest and most affordable to feed. My friend let me shoot his 10mm and I'd put it with the .357 on the recoil scale...not fun, but very doable. I prefer a good .357 mag, but if you want capacity then the Glock cant be beat (plus if you drop it out on the trail your wont cry about scratching your finish)!
Old February 7, 2013, 11:27 AM   #42
eldermike

It's a new world I guess. I never saw dangerous game and auto-loaders in the same sentence so many times. Single action and power is my choice.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:03 PM   #43
tieken

How about the Coonan .357 mag??
Old February 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #44
seeker_4

Placement is the answer. In the 50's the govt caught and relocated bears from Yellowstone. We ran cows in Monache Meadows. CA and by the 60's they gave us permits to take nuisance bears. We used .22 rifles...ear, eyes, end of nose and back of throats. Body shots require big bore.
My dad was a lion guide in Nevada. He used .22 and 357 (lions are thin skinned). Both tree easily.
Wolves? No personal knowledge... sorry.
Pepper sray or long guns. Handguns are wing and prayers for big guys unless .45 or larger. If you depend on that, spend time to be PROFICIENT!! No reason to tick em off... in the animal world, ticked too often means fighting back.
I went after a bear with a 9mm one time that came into our tent early morning while we were sleeping and the game warden snibly asked if I was good enough to get shot placement... told him I had 3 mags...gives me 39 trys now don't it? Thankfully I didn't catch up to find out.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:16 PM   #45
wild cat mccane

bear spray is the best option said so far.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:48 PM   #46
publius

Yeah, a 460 Rowland would be great, for us gun geeks. For a non-handloader, I would say the the 10mm Glock is #1 followed by a .45.