The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 16, 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Oregon Gun Laws. Possible trip to Oregon Help me out please!!

Hi everyone in Oregon, I am contemplating a trip to Oregon this october. I want to know about Oregon gun laws. Internet info is out there, but I don't know if I trust all of it.

I know that I cannot get any reciprocity with my Washington state, or Utah permit, but what are the laws regarding transport of my concealed pistol to my location in a case, unloaded, etc.

The trip I am going on is a hunting trip with a friend. That begs the question, can I do anything with my pistol as a backup/defensive weapon in the field?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:21 PM   #2
meinbruder

OR State gun laws.

In a nut shell, open carry is legal throughout the state but not all LEAs seem to be aware of that. There is a vocal open carry movement in the state changing that but it will take time yet to carry in major metro areas without risk of getting taken down at gunpoint by officers. Out in the woods isn’t a problem, I carried openly when I lived there. Go here http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf and start reading. There is a link to the OR State Revised Statutes, you might want to study those and take a printed copy on the trip.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
confirmed shooter

I have a friend that lives in Salem, H says that a little known law in Oregon states that you can carry conceled if on your way fishing. So, get a fishing tag, and a small pole and you are good to go. I recomend the deschutes river. charlie sierra
Old August 17, 2009, 12:30 AM   #4
cliff987

I would dig round in the http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/ myself before risking the consequences but here are some links for you.

http://opencarry.org/or.html

Summary
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license.

http://egov.oregon.gov/OSP/ID/chl.shtml

Carrying Concealed Weapons in the State of Oregon Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am planning a vacation in Oregon and would like to find out the validity of my concealed pistol permit, as well as any regulations for carrying my pistol.
A: Oregon does not recognize other states’ concealed weapons permit/license. Carrying a concealed weapon in Oregon is considered a Class A Misdemeanor as unlawful possession of a firearm. According to ORS 166.250 "(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260; 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

1. Carries any firearm concealed upon the person
2. Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

We suggest that firearm(s) be placed in a storage container in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked storage area in a motor home. If pulled over, you may want to notify the police officer that a weapon is stored in a locked compartment of the vehicle.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=OR

CARRY
It is unlawful to carry concealed upon the person or concealed
about one’s person in a vehicle any firearm unless one has a license to
carry a concealed weapon. Exceptions to the above prohibition are:
• persons possessing a handgun at their home or place of
business;
• organizations, which are by law, authorized to purchase or
receive weapons from the United States;
• policemen and law enforcement personnel, whether active
or honorably retired;
• military personnel when on active or reserve duty;
• members of a shooting club while at a range or going to and
from a range;
CAUTION: Firearm laws are subject to frequent change and court interpretation. This summary is not intended as legal advice or
restatement of law. This summary does not include federal or local laws, ordinances or regulations. For any particular situation, a
licensed local attorney must be consulted for an accurate interpretation. YOU MUST ABIDE WITH ALL LAWS: STATE, FEDERAL
AND LOCAL.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
• licensed hunters or fishermen, while engaged in hunting
or fishing or going to and from a hunting or fishing
expedition;
• merchants transporting or possessing firearms as
merchandise;
• duly authorized military or civil organizations while
parading or traveling to a meeting of their organization;
• corrections officer while transporting convict.
Old August 17, 2009, 12:48 AM   #5
golfnutrlv

Thanks for the links so far, appreciated.

I don't know if I want to mess with carrying the gun in whatever method through Oregon. I get the sense that out in the field, there is no problem concealed or not.

Other help out there?
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.