The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 7, 2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Nero45

Defenseless in Illinois

Being a residance of one of the most unfriendly states in the Union and being a gun lover do not mix well. This is very true when it comes to defense situations in the home. According to what I've read and heard a person is to leave their home if someone breaks in and are only allowed to shoot a person that breaks in if they're life is theatened. I really don't like this law but this is what happens when you live in this state. Now thankfully I don't live in the northern sections of this state and people down here are more level headed but still its state law. So what can I do to keep myself and my loved ones safe without getting slapped with crime or end up dead?
Old May 7, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
luvsasmith

MOVE!
Old May 7, 2009, 07:50 PM   #3
litauer

Chew on this

and you'll understand how miserable are the Stalinists who run Illinois.
http://www.mercatus.org/PublicationD....aspx?id=26154
Old May 7, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4
chris in va

Quote:
and are only allowed to shoot a person that breaks in if they're life is theatened.
That's pretty much true of just about every state law.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:46 AM   #5
ISP2605

Quote:
According to what I've read and heard a person is to leave their home if someone breaks in and are only allowed to shoot a person that breaks in if they're life is theatened.
There's nothing in IL law that says you have to leave.
Read 720 ILCS 5/7-1.
Old May 8, 2009, 08:13 AM   #6
scottz0369

In response to the original question regarding keeping yourself safe AND out of jail, become familiar with the state (like ISP2605 kindly linked to) as well as your local laws.

While Illinois does have some very restrictive gun laws, I just moved here (central Illinois) from California where I was stationed for many years, and I find it easier to buy and lawfully possess a weapon here.

Regarding the "MOVE" response, that's not always a realistic option for many people for many reasons. Consider this: if Illinois-style laws come to the whole country, where will you move to?

Semper Fi.
Scott
MSgt USMC ('87-'08 ret)
Old May 8, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
ilbob

Quote:
Now thankfully I don't live in the northern sections of this state and people down here are more level headed but still its state law. So what can I do to keep myself and my loved ones safe without getting slapped with crime or end up dead?
Don't lump Northern Illinois in with Chicago.

Chicago is the problem.

If it drifted off into Lake Michigan one day and sank, the state would be better for it.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The topic of secession is not the topic of this thread. All off topic posts have been removed.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:08 AM   #9
levrluvr

Quote:
Don't lump Northern Illinois in with Chicago. Chicago is the problem.
If it drifted off into Lake Michigan one day and sank, the state would be better for it.
ilbob- my sentiments exactly. I like the lake. I don't like what's next to it.
Jim
Old May 8, 2009, 09:15 AM   #10
grymster2007

Quote:
MOVE!
Now there's well reasoned, engaging and eloquent commentary.... not to mention the really big font!
Old May 8, 2009, 11:22 AM   #11
ilbob

Quote:
Now there's well reasoned, engaging and eloquent commentary.... not to mention the really big font!
My font is bigger than your font!

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's get back on topic - so far you guys haven't been a font of wisdom.

I'm not so sure this isn't a tactics issue.

Close to a lock if it doesn't change.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Yellowfin

OK, to inject some wisdom into this thread: start reading about the McDonald case. It's looking good. For some reason I've seen little discussion of it here.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:00 PM   #14
ilbob

Quote:
OK, to inject some wisdom into this thread: start reading about the McDonald case. It's looking good. For some reason I've seen little discussion of it here.
That may be because it is mostly trying to get Heller applied to the states.

Chicago's handgun ban is about as bad as DC's was.

Old May 8, 2009, 01:07 PM   #15
ilbob

Quote:
Being a residance of one of the most unfriendly states in the Union and being a gun lover do not mix well. This is very true when it comes to defense situations in the home. According to what I've read and heard a person is to leave their home if someone breaks in and are only allowed to shoot a person that breaks in if they're life is theatened. I really don't like this law but this is what happens when you live in this state. Now thankfully I don't live in the northern sections of this state and people down here are more level headed but still its state law. So what can I do to keep myself and my loved ones safe without getting slapped with crime or end up dead?
You are not defenseless in your home in Illinois unless you live in Chicago and obey their onerous handgun ban, and even then you could have a long gun for SD.

Illinois has strong protections for people acting in self defense both criminally and civilly. This is a major shock to many people.

My suggestion is to read what the law actually says, rather than listen to people who are just wrong. Another poster cited the appropriate ILCS reference.

It is true that when you are out and about you are pretty much at the mercy of the criminal element. Fortunately they tend to congregate in fairly well defined areas and if you can avoid those areas, you are likely to be pretty safe. You are just out of luck if you are forced to go to places where it is not safe. Most of the people running the state are out and out crooks with strong ties to street gangs and the mob. Thats a big reason why they don't want you to have protection. The people that pay them off would be hurt by it.