The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2006, 11:01 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Packaging

This will seem like a trivial thing. But which companies packaging do you prefer? I am not talking about the actual product, just the container they come in. You may even wish other companies used that style. Let me give you a few examples.

I like the way Speer bullets are boxed. I like the plastic, I don't like the cardboard ones others use.

I like Hodgdon's powder containers. That large mouth makes returning powder a snap.

I like Federal's primer boxes. These seem sturdier.

While Lee's die containers are rather bulky, I like them. I also like the way a shell holder is included with each die set.

The above mentioned components are not necessarily my favorite. I like the way the are packaged and wished other companies would use similar designs.
Old March 15, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

I hate Federal primer boxes and have largely quit using those primers for that sole reason. The current boxes are too big for primer flippers.
Old March 16, 2006, 01:52 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...the plastic..." Ditto. They're handy for sewing kits, pocket 1st aid kits, etc when emptied.
Old March 16, 2006, 02:48 AM   #4
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Barrys (sp) Bullets come in a blue box that is see through. Much like the Lee die boxes of red that let's you see inside. Anyway, I have a few boxes and they are good for storage of small items around the bench. IMO Speer yellow boxes, I have trouble keeping them latched after open and closing a few times. These are older boxes, maybe the newer containers are ok. Lead bullets in cardboard boxes of 500/1000 are often a pain if you have to handle the box alot. Powder bottles (plastic) 1 lb. plastic are nice but when they first came out, I thought about static elect. but being a propellent and not explosive like black powder I guess they are ok...or they wouldn't ship powder in them, right? I liked the old style 3 lb. powder kegs (metal), they had Red Dot and maybe other powders in them many years ago. I just like them because they look kool...??? PBR has a good bottle!

Simple but interesting thread.....
Old March 16, 2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Packaging peeve

I agree that packaging styles is a trivial item. And it really bothers me that collectors of antiques put such a premium on the packaging--as if they were really collecting old cardboard boxes, rather than their contents.

Personally, how the package looks is of no importance, it's does it do the job or not.

For that reason, I join Leftoverdj in disliking the big Federal lawyer-proof primer boxes. I find them hard to store in my reloading supplies cupboard along with the other primers. Therefore, unless I find a real screamin' deal on Federal primers, their packaging loses them a customer. I hope their legal department is happy.

--Smokey Joe