The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2005, 10:47 PM   #1
chris in va

Bought a Hi Viz...have a problem

This is the front green sight for my Nova (flat rail). The package said to use the included screws, but it had none. It did have the adhesive strip which I used but it came right off.

Right now it's on with some electrical tape. Before I go using some contact cement, anything else recommended to fasten this thing on?

You'd think for $15 it would stay on better.
Old January 15, 2005, 11:25 PM   #2
RUT

There should have been a little package containing an assortment of tiny screws, one of which would replace the front bead sight and keep the new sight from sliding back under recoil. I put one of these on my Winchester 1400, and the screw plus the (dubious) adhesive on the sight itself is holding up better than I thought it would. I'm not sure what to tell you beyond that, but it would seem you were missing something in the original packaging.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:21 PM   #3
chris in va

You're right Rut, I must have lost the three screws in the first package when I opened it. Went back to the store and they gave me another one that had them.

I did end up using some cement though, so hopefully that will be a little more permanent.
Old January 16, 2005, 10:10 PM   #4
RUT

Chris,

Glad you were able to resolve the problem. (hopefully) When I installed mine, I was a bit skeptical that it would hold on, but it did. On my Remington 1187 I used the magnetic type (also Hi-Viz) that actually fits over the rib vs. on it, and it snaps on with authority. Plus, the original bead sight does not have to be removed. Were I to do it again (on my 1400) I'd probably go this route as well.

===RUT===
Old January 17, 2005, 09:57 PM   #5
chris in va

That's what I ended up doing today. Took back the screw-n-glue type and got the magnetic. Boy it works so much better. Thanks again.