The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 10, 2008, 06:43 AM   #1
880Man

Question About Guns?

I have a question... Aside from being a "toy" and stuff are airguns actually good for hunting? I mean lets take a look at some of their trades...

GOOD
#1. CHEAP (COST ABOUT AS MUCH AS A GOOD BOX OF .308 AMMO FOR A RIFLE)
#2 LIGHTWEIGHT (ALTHOUGH THIS MIGHT BE CONSIDERED BAD BY SOME PEOPLE I KINDA LIKE IT WHEN I'M CARRYING IT AROUND ALL DAY!)
#3 CHEAP AMMO (VERY CHEAP!)

BAD
#1 THEY BREAK EASILY (DEPENDING ON WITCH RIFLE YOU GET...)
#2 THEY DONT HAVE MUCH RANGE OR UMPH... ( ABOUT 800 FPS)
#3 THEY ARE INACCURATE BY COMPARISON (TO A .308 OR SOMETHING)

*NOTE: All of these trates are for the daisy powerline 880.

So by looking at that can we say that bb guns are actually decent hunting weapons? I mean if you were ever in a situation were you needed to ditch and run it would be a lot easier to replace your bb gun than your .308 Police Special...

So post your vote on the matter bellow please!
Old November 10, 2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Daryl

Airguns can be used for hunting. I've shot a lot of small game with mine.

As for cheap, it depends on what you get. You can spend a few dollars at wally-world, and it'll work well enough.

Or you can spend as much (or maybe more?) than you'll spend on a big game rifle. Most choose somewhere between those extremes.

I have a Benjamin air rifle that I use for stopping pests in the garden. I bought it used for about $75, and it works well. It's not as light as the plastic stocked, cheap models, but it'll last for years.

Heck. for those that get really involved in this sport, they're making .45 caliber air rifles that are capable of taking some fairly decent sized game; like hogs and such.

Daryl
Old November 10, 2008, 07:03 AM   #3
880Man

Yeah I have a diana to wich can get 1100 fps. But my powerline is good for those long treks through the good were your carrying it everywhere:barf:.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:17 AM   #4
880Man

Does anyone know where to get sniper targets like with little stick figures you have to take out? And there is like a base for them and stuff?

Tags
airgun , gun , hunt , hunting