The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 16, 2014, 06:15 PM   #801
StukaJU87

My local walmart has WWB 9mm 100/$26.78 and federal 45acp 100/$41.99. Plenty of everything but 22lr. I didn't see any prices I liked so I left empty handed.

I wont buy 9mm unless it's $12 or less per 50 or 45acp unless it's $18 or less per 50. Don't see any reason to over pay and by the looks of the increasing amount of stock on the shelves, it looks like people are starting to pull their heads out of their "you know what's" and beginning to think before they over pay.

I haven't paid increased prices since this stupidity started, and I'm not gonna start now.
Old February 17, 2014, 05:58 PM   #802
REDBULL600

I found some Hornady Critical D 135grn 100box for $37 at a LGS. Better deal then buying it by the 25 rd box. It says LE only, but its the same as the 25rd box. Whats so special about it? to only be for LE? Doesn't the PD supply their Officers with ammo?
Old February 20, 2014, 11:01 AM   #803
Glenn E. Meyer

There's Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P at our local gun shows. Funny, the cop shop has a sign that they won't sell it to civilians. The non +P is common at Academy.

Natchezz ran a sale on Blazer 45 for 19 bucks and change. Bought some.
Old February 20, 2014, 03:08 PM   #804
William T. Watts

Winchester 45ACP 230gr RN white box ammo

It took three Walmart's, one Gander Mountain and one Academy Sports to purchase 100 rounds (what I wanted) but finally settled for 150 rounds. I found (1) 50 round box and (1) 100 round box of 230gr RN, I purchased both. I did see a couple of fellows who were (trying) to buy 22RF ammunition but wouldn't pay $5 for a hundred round box!! I snickered at them as I left the store! William
Old February 20, 2014, 05:37 PM   #805
Spats McGee
Staff

.22LR, spotted in the wild!

About 10 a.m. this past Sunday, I went to Wal-Mart. I happen to know that this particular WM puts its ammo stock out about 7 a.m. I know this from the WM employees, who have regaled me with stories of the folks that wait in line for the .22LR to be put out, grab their limit, go to the car, change shirts, and get back in line.

I don't recall why I had gone in, but it wasn't for ammo. Nonetheless, I figured I'd stroll past the ammo counter and see what was in. Mrs. McGee and The Little McGee were with me, but Mrs. McGee has no interest in checking out the ammo. Mrs. McGee headed off to do her thing, and The Little McGee and I headed for the ammo.

And there it was . . . . .22LR! I could have sworn that I heard angels singing in the backgound: Hallelujah! Hallelujah! . . . . Bulk packs, no less than 6 of them, resting peacefully on that shelf! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! . . . . Less than $24 per 525 rounds, tax included and out the door! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! . . . . (But a limit of 3/customer. Not so Hallelujah. . . )

Maybe there's hope? Or maybe I just need to keep going back while everyone else is in church.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:47 PM   #806
Glenn E. Meyer

You are supposed to buy a box of 50 and put in the collection dish.

Then, the religious figure of your domination will proclaim a miracle and raffle it off for big bucks.

I had the same experience at Cabelas. I stopped by on the way to Austin and hit it when they put out bricks - only one though.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:11 PM   #807
VaPlinker

I've been looking for 22lr for a while. My son works @Walmart and keeps an eye out, but he keeps brining me ammo that causes either my 10/22, or my 22/45 to have cycling problems. I have found some good rounds and some that I don't recognize at a smaller local gunshop. GanderMountain, BassPro & Dicks Sporting Goods haven't kept any on the shelves for a while.
Old February 21, 2014, 01:03 PM   #808
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ed-since-2009/

Oh, well - there goes the conspiracy.
Old February 21, 2014, 05:44 PM   #809
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah. As a portion of the 15 Billion round per year civilian market, it was always pretty small potatoes, even at its peak.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 22, 2014, 10:25 AM   #810
bikerbill

Was at Cabela's in Buda TX yesterday, got 50 rds of PMC FMJ .45ACP and 20 rds of 9mm Critical Defense for about $50 including tax. They had zero .22 of any kind (I was shopping for LR and WMR) aside from a few boxes of shot shells. There was a good selection of centerfire rounds, but the prices were IMHO very high.
Old February 22, 2014, 11:19 AM   #811
STEINER

A good sign?
I went in to the LGS yesterday to pick up some sling swivels and of course I had to take a look at the ammo availability. 525 round Value Packs of Federal 22 LR sitting there. Some other 50 round boxes too. I didn't pick any up. Have enough. But it was nice to see it just sitting there.
Still... it was $50.00 for the 525's. 10 cents a round is what I think it will
settle down to. I hope not but I got a feeling that is what will happen when this crap is over.
Old February 22, 2014, 02:44 PM   #812
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
10 cents a round is what I think it will settle down to. I hope not but I got a feeling that is what will happen when this crap is over.
I hope it's not that high, but it's almost certain that, because the panic drove the prices so high and kept them high for so long, the prices won't relax all the way back down to the pre-panic prices.

I do my best to keep a good stock of ammunition on hand at all times to minimize the effect of these panics on my shooting. The problem is that even though I don't have to buy during the shortages, they always leave the prices higher than they were pre-panic. So when things calm down and I can restock, I have to restock at progressively higher prices.
Old February 22, 2014, 03:16 PM   #813
RJLII

Purchase Limits Lifted at Walmart

Wal-Mart here in Hoosierville has been adhering to a strict three box limit for the last year, if they had any ammo at all. The last couple of months supplies have been better, but they still had a limit. As of today there were no limits and ample supply of most calibers except 22LR. Those sold out quick. Range day tomorrow!
Old February 22, 2014, 03:33 PM   #814
BandOfBrothers2717

warranty question?

hey guys,

new guy here with a question. How much should I factor in the warranty provided by a manufacturer in the purchase of a handgun or any gun for that matter? I ask this because I have been doing alot of research and shopping for my first semi-auto pistol, reading tons of reviews and forum chatter over the last couple months, (nail biting the whole time, cuz i cant wait to get the darn thing already) and I have read a lot of mixed reviews.

i.e. Beretta provides a One-year parts/service/functionality warranty on all there guns, and a added free two year warranty for registering your gun with them.

Smith & Wesson provides a lifetime warranty that covers the same stuff.

I've read, reviewed and heard so many good/bad/ ugly and indifferent experiences from ppl sending in their guns for mods, repair etc to these two manufacturers as well as every other manufacturer under the son. this is a lot more long winded then ever intended. my apologies.

please! any and all reply with your opinions, advice and wisdom
Old February 22, 2014, 06:54 PM   #815
StukaJU87

Quote:
10 cents a round is what I think it will settle down to. I hope not but I got a feeling that is what will happen when this crap is over.
Uh no!

Where the heck have you been buying your ammo? 525 boxes of 22lr can be had regularly between $20-$30 a box. If you're paying more than that then you're the one to blame for keeping the price around 10 cents a round.

I was paying .03 per round before the panic and haven't paid more than .05 per round during. So I don't know where you guys are buying your ammo but I'd suggest you get it somewhere else. There's no need to pay .10 or more per round.
Old February 23, 2014, 07:21 AM   #816
VaPlinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandOfBrothers2717 View Post
hey guys,

new guy here with a question. How much should I factor in the warranty provided by a manufacturer in the purchase of a handgun or any gun for that matter?
I am also researching the purchase of my first non-rimfire piece (and I am also a new be here). Instead of factoring in warranty, I am looking into reliability. Although I appreciate a manufacturer that stands behind their merchandise, I value not having to avail myself of warranty service in the first place.
Old February 24, 2014, 11:14 AM   #817
Tortuga12

Powder now on the shortage list????

Went to Bass Pro the other day, looking to pick up a bottle of 2400. While they were fully stocked with primers, there was no powder available of any type! Not even Pyrodex! Looking online, it appears this not an isolated incident. Which is kind of strange, since even during the height of the panic, I generally saw powder on the shelves. Is this the latest wave in the shortage, or did a factory blow up?
Old February 24, 2014, 02:57 PM   #818
Ridge_Runner_5

A shooting range/gun shop near me with the same name as this forum has tons of .22, and at fair prices, even!
Old February 24, 2014, 06:03 PM   #819
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga12 View Post
Went to Bass Pro the other day, looking to pick up a bottle of 2400. While they were fully stocked with primers, there was no powder available of any type! Not even Pyrodex! Looking online, it appears this not an isolated incident. Which is kind of strange, since even during the height of the panic, I generally saw powder on the shelves. Is this the latest wave in the shortage, or did a factory blow up?

This is very commonplace right now. I was in Midsouth earlier today. They had a total of seven powders in stock - all very slow burning rifle powders. They are one of the largest wholesalers of powder in the US, supplying many, many LGSs. When their shelves are empty, most of the LGSs' will be also. Needless to say, this does not bode well for near-term supplies easing anytime soon.
Old February 25, 2014, 12:01 PM   #820
rlc323

Wal-Mart here had a selection of .22 LR, a few Federal bulk packs, a lot of CCI Velocitor, and Blazer .22LR. I had never shot any Blazer before so I bought a box of 50. Plenty of 9mm, .45, and even a little bit of WWB .380.

Primers are steady in the bigger towns. Powder hit and miss for pistol and shotgun. Lots of rifle powder in stock and I believe that is because .223 ammo is overflowing the shelves, and starting to go on sale here and there.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:45 PM   #821
ghbucky01

Quote:
Quote:
Uh no!

Where the heck have you been buying your ammo? 525 boxes of 22lr can be had regularly between $20-$30 a box. If you're paying more than that then you're the one to blame for keeping the price around 10 cents a round.

I was paying .03 per round before the panic and haven't paid more than .05 per round during. So I don't know where you guys are buying your ammo but I'd suggest you get it somewhere else. There's no need to pay .10 or more per round.
I would dearly love to know where you are getting .22 for those prices.

Ammoseek and gunbot, are both starting at .16/rnd for 22lr. Cheaperthandirt STARTS at .36/rnd and Cabelas doesn't have any.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:26 AM   #822
gyvel

I don't know if this is a widespread problem, but I do know that one of our local dealers who is a complete dirtbag sends several of his cronies in to Walmart to line up and buy the ammo, then resells it at a tremendous markup.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:29 PM   #823
mnoirot64

The Outpost Armory, in Christiana, TN, has 1400 round kegs of Remington 22LR for $79.99. It's not something I shoot often, so I did not buy any. Still no pistol powder , except for a small quantity of Blue Dot.
Old February 27, 2014, 01:44 AM   #824
StukaJU87

Quote:
I would dearly love to know where you are getting .22 for those prices.
Local Walmarts and a store in Ohio I visit when I'm passing through called Fin Feather Fur. Last time I was there, they're shelves were full of 22lr bulk packs for $29.99. I thought the price was too high so I passed on it. Another store called Hunters Den had winchester 333 boxes for $18.

It's not rocket science people. Refuse to pay inflated prices, shop around, only buy when you see a real deal, and the prices will come back down.

Quote:
Ammoseek and gunbot, are both starting at .16/rnd for 22lr. Cheaperthandirt STARTS at .36/rnd and Cabelas doesn't have any.
None of the deals I regularly find have been on those sites plus I don't buy my ammo off the Internet. S&H will ruin any "deals", (if you can call them that), you'll find. I buy everything locally or I'll check out stores while traveling but I never pay panic prices. Everything I've bought has been at or below pre-panic prices.

Quote:
I don't know if this is a widespread problem, but I do know that one of our local dealers who is a complete dirtbag sends several of his cronies in to Walmart to line up and buy the ammo, then resells it at a tremendous markup.
I know a few local dealers that brag about doing that. The smart people buy their ammo elsewhere but they do take advantage of the less educated. Remeber, they can't sell it unless someone is wiling to over pay for it.
Old February 28, 2014, 10:49 PM   #825
StukaJU87

Stopped by Walmart. They had several 100 round boxes of 9mm 115 gr for $24 and 100 round boxes of 45acp for $39.

Looks like the shortage is over for 223, 9mm, and 45acp, I can find them everywhere I go and at pre-panic prices.

Now if I could just find some .308 and 45 Colt at a reasonable price. I can find it, I just can't find it at a price I'm willing to pay.
Closed Thread