The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 29, 2008, 10:40 PM   #51
The Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreacherUp!
"Short-stocking" (buttstock over the shoulder), was common years ago when using a 20" service rifle for MOUT. I believe it has very limited utility.
With the wider usage of 10"-14" rifles for MOUT/CQB, short-stocking is not seen nearly as much. Units today tend to teach keeping the butt in your shoulder, and thus, your sights where they should be.

I love it when combat experience nullifies TTPs created in peacetime.
Tell me about it. Our Infantry still don't get many carbines, but we did throw (in 2005) a 4-pos stock on our rifles!
Old February 29, 2008, 10:48 PM   #52
The Canuck

The Tourist,

I still have my original 8" long straight steel fighting knife with the serations along the last two inches or so. It was great to use, it has simple rubber grips and no guard, cost me twenty bucks. A buddy of mine bought a $200.00 Gerber and lost it the second river we crossed!

The one thing I have observed is that when it comes to application, the stuff that works never dies.
Old February 29, 2008, 11:34 PM   #53
David Armstrong

Quote:
Discouraging or not, it's true. Nor does that diminish your points about physical fitness. I'm not saying that some of the training isn't good. I'm saying it's not applicable. You can have the best training system in the world, but if your students won't follow it, it can be worse than no training at all. So, it makes more sense to realistically assess your students and develop a program/philosophy that will work for their lifestyle.
Agreed, big time! In fact, it was moving into the CCW training field that caused me to have a bit of an awakening, and changed so much of my philosophy to "what will work best for the common gun owner" instead of "what is the latest and greatest for the high-speed low-drag performer" when it comes to training. Too many tend to think only in the context of the highly dedicated gun carrier, much to the detriment of the more common and typical gun owner.
Old March 1, 2008, 12:53 AM   #54
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck
the stuff that works never dies.
I agree. Here's what I've been carrying lately:

The top knife is my EDC, an Emerson HD-7. The one below is just inventory left over from reselling. As you can see, I've polished both of the edges. My intent was to use the little knife for opening things like those blister packs. I don't know what they use for plastic, but they are truly hard on a good edge.

However, Emerson's design is one of those that will undoubtedly be a classic. I carry one knife clipped to my right pocket, and the other on my left. I should always be able to get to at least one of them.

My belief is that no matter what your fighting discipline, any place you grab me will be sharp...