The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 28, 2005, 08:29 PM   #26
NukemJim

Quote:
had a specially designed Glaser with a black tip made for them
Rumor only, not verified but I was informed that the black tip glasers were capable of going through soft body armour. I repeat rumor only.

NukemJim

"Guns shoot bullets.
People shoot people."
Old October 28, 2005, 09:04 PM   #27
blackmind

If it were still a blunt-tip, why would a claim that it would penetrate soft body armor be credible? I thought a pointed-nosed bullet was necessary for that. Was there supposed to be something special that would happen with the bullet on impact?

-blackmind
Old October 28, 2005, 09:11 PM   #28
blackmind

Quote:
blackmind, you better knock on wood...

What's it to you if Ledbetter feels safer with a Glaser in the chamber? He's not necessarily planning for an ND, any more than someone who carries a DA/SA decocked and safety on is planning to put themselves at a disadvantage. For some people, it's a peace of mind thing.

Well, any person could be the recipient of any other person's negligent discharge, speaking in the loosest sense. (As in, I could be at a range where he is operating his weapon and he has his ND while I'm proximate, and I get hit.)

So that's "what it is to me" if he wants to rely on the "harmlessness" of a less penetrating round. It just sounded to me as though he were copping out, saying that it's not so bad to have an ND because that one first round won't go very far or through much material. I think that's a flawed line of reasoning.

The best defense against an ND is to keep your finger off the trigger until it's time to shoot; and for cryin' out loud, don't pull the trigger on a supposedly "empty" gun unless you have JUST MOMENTS BEFORE visually and manually verified an empty chamber.

How freakin' hard is THAT?

People make this seem like it's rocket science combined with luck, to never have an ND. I say it should be plain ol' common sense.

-blackmind
Old October 29, 2005, 02:40 AM   #29
Ledbetter

Actual experience

I have fired Glaser Blues through a few things out at the "free range" in the national forest.

They will not go through a TV. They will not go through a computer. They will not go through a bad guy. From my viewpoint, they are the ideal FIRST round in the magazine. Especially in .45 Cal.

Just my opinion, you do what you want, balls and all.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old October 29, 2005, 03:04 AM   #30
stratus

Well, any person could be the recipient of any other person's negligent discharge, speaking in the loosest sense. (As in, I could be at a range where he is operating his weapon and he has his ND while I'm proximate, and I get hit.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmind
So that's "what it is to me" if he wants to rely on the "harmlessness" of a less penetrating round. It just sounded to me as though he were copping out, saying that it's not so bad to have an ND because that one first round won't go very far or through much material. I think that's a flawed line of reasoning.

The best defense against an ND is to keep your finger off the trigger until it's time to shoot; and for cryin' out loud, don't pull the trigger on a supposedly "empty" gun unless you have JUST MOMENTS BEFORE visually and manually verified an empty chamber.

People make this seem like it's rocket science combined with luck, to never have an ND. I say it should be plain ol' common sense.
While keeping one Glaser in the chamber and JHP ammo in the magazine might seem like an unnecessary measure to you and I (no offense to the person who posted about this practice), I doubt it will cause him to be notoriously unsafe in his practice of handgun safety. That's all that matters, really.
Old October 29, 2005, 03:49 AM   #31
Lord_Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmind
Ask almost any experienced shooter. If they haven't had an ND, they most likely know someone, who they would rate as competent, who has. And anyway, that was no retort to my question. I asked why you care if he feels safer having an extra layer of (admittedly minimal) security. I'm pretty confident he doesn't just walk around, finger on trigger, safety off, waiting for an ND.
Old October 29, 2005, 09:24 AM   #32
Edward429451

Glasers are not safe in any sense of the word.I've shot hundreds & hundreds of them.

When Glasers penetrate wood, drywall, 2 x 4's...the kind of fold in upon themselves and stay together, thus not apartment safe. They have plenty of penetration for their weight. When they hit something soft (tissue) they frag real good. If they hit something hard like rock, marble, steel, then they shatter so there's your ricochet proof feature.

The blacktip Glasers use a heavier than lead tungsten shot (and a smaller tip IIRC) with a larger shot / smaller payload to increase penetration while keeping them able to retain velocity. I've not shot any of these ones but read about them. Supposedly they will penetrate soft armor.

I shot my Chrony with a (homemade) Glaser. It went through the front and hit the dividing metal plate and pretty much folded it over 90 deg. It landed about 10 or 15 ft downrange. The tip, mangled jacket and loose bb's were in the Chrony.

Early Glasers were TC flat points with non compressed shot. Typically #12 shot is in them. Todays Glasers are RN and the shot is compressed. They started compressing the shot in them for two reasons. To get a bigger payload in them and stabilization. Seems the non compressed ones would destabilize and weren't very accurate from the loose shifting shot.

I've made (safety slugs) in many weights from 140, 160, 185, 190, 200, and 225's. Their very easy to make, just two pulls on the swaging press. The little blue balls are freakin expensive at 4.5 cents apiece though so I've taken to capping them with a single OO buck which are much cheaper.

I bought the tooling to make them for the wonder bullet syndrome and I'm cheap. As it turns out, I care less for the wonder bullet angle and continue to make them because they are scary accurate as a handload and easy to make. Who cares if it frags but I can hit with these babys like no other. So they're like a JSP. If it don't frag, its like ball 45 and if it does frag, woe to them hehe. I don't carry them for SD though prefering to stick with a conventional HP. I like shooting steel with them at the range because they make me look (sound?) good and do break up on steel giving a mediocre assurance of no fly backs. Eh.

I've made a few guys gawk at the range at my full trays of 'Glasers' When capped with the blue tips, they are indistinguishable from the factory ones.
Old October 29, 2005, 09:45 AM   #33
ms101

I don't know the answer to your question, but are you talking about incendiary rounds? A buddy of mine gave me a handful of .223 blue-tipped rounds which he said were incendiary. I shot one into a stump and it gave off about a one foot diameter flash on impact and a bit of smoldering. Not sure what I'll use them for, but pretty cool regardless. I'd like to find some more....

Last edited by ms101; October 29, 2005 at 09:46 AM. Reason: mispost
Old October 29, 2005, 11:52 AM   #34
Edward429451

Blue tip .223's?

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

ABout half way down the page.
Old October 29, 2005, 12:02 PM   #35
pax

A year or so back, some friends and I built a mock-up of an outside wall: panelling, sheetrock, plywood, & siding. We built a shelf behind the wall and put gallon jugs of water on the shelf. Then we shot at the wall with a bunch of different stuff, various calibers etc. from a typical room distance of 15 to 20 feet.

Everything went through. Including the blue nose Glasers.

I wouldn't rely on it not to shoot someone in the room next door.

pax
Old October 31, 2005, 11:14 PM   #36
blackmind

Then that makes two reasons.

I mean, if you're hoping that the choice of first round might make the difference between life and death, might as well make it a freakin' snap cap! :barf:

NO one has ever been killed by one of those, unless maybe they choked on one.

But I really protest the idea of choosing your first round based on what might not do so much damage or penetration if it's fired as an ND. Really bad thinking there.

-blackmind
Old November 5, 2005, 04:33 AM   #37
SJRTX

I would not carry Glaser's if someone paid me too. Magsafe either for that matter. BTW-the pictures on that one site someone posted are of a temporary cavity, and in dealing with handgun calibers, has no effect. The permanent cavity is what matters, and so does penetration. Frangible rounds lack both of whats needed to be good terminal performers. Ill just say it flat out-they suck. And over penetration is not an issue with the top performing HP's on the market today either.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs5.htm

And good info here @ http://www.tacticalforums.com in the terminal effects forum
Old November 5, 2005, 07:58 AM   #38
Marko Kloos

Quote:
Glazers are rounds that penetrate into people and things and explode.
No, they are not.

the munchkin wrangler.