The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 5, 2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Inspector3711

Legal places to shoot in the woods in WA

I live in South King County in Washington state. 15 years ago I could head southeast of Maple Valley, pull off and walk into the woods to shoot. I got away from shooting for 10 years or so. Nowdays I see "no shooting" signs everywhere (often for good reason as house after house is built). I think of joining up with one of the local ranges but that costs money (No I'm not a Microsoft millionaire). Anyone have a favorite place to shoot thats legal, safe, and not a two hour drive from civilization (3.50 a gallon and rising fast)? Is it legal to shoot on the east side of Hwy18 between Tiger Mountain and I90 for example? I seen some guys parked along there during deer season last fall.
Old March 5, 2008, 10:20 AM   #2
JaserST4

I used to do it locally myself in a quarry on state land but it wasn't quite legal. I saw sheriff vehicles around and they ignored it. couldn't do it now though as the rec vehicles took it over. Actually had one stubborn quad guy riding up and down the hill BEHIND the targets WHILE we were shooting. My companion was an off duty cop and he ignored her advice as well.

Bottom line for me is it's too dangerous these days, there's something wrong going on in the minds of some people and the risk isn't worth it so I go to the gun club and pays my fees.
Old March 5, 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
PointOneSeven

It's waaaaay to crowded Seattle side for shooting. Up on the Olympic peninsula you can pull off onto logging roads and have at it. Also in Eastern Washington I've gone on hiking trails, then veered off for a half mile or so to get away from people and assaulted a sand dune or two.

There may be places if you head east and get out of the county. Maybe toward Mt. Rainier past Buckley or Eatonville
Old March 5, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
OPC

Be advised, there was an NRA Alert about shooting on WDFW lands in WA state:

Quote:
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW)
Adopts Restrictions on Recreational Shooting;
Disregards Concerns of NRA Members
Monday, January 14, 2008
At a public meeting last month, the nine-member Washington Fish & Wildlife Commission unanimously adopted rules that will make it easier to prohibit recreational shooting on all state land controlled by the Department of Fish & Wildlife (DFW) and that imposes other restrictions on shooters.
Ignoring the concerns raised by NRA members, including testimony provided by NRA staff at the meeting, the Commission unanimously rubberstamped the proposal that was before it. The new rules, WAC 232-13-130 (1) (b), authorize the DFW to prohibit the discharge of firearms on any or all portions of Department land at any time and for any (or no) reason. Without public notice or input, DFW will be able to prohibit recreational shooting on any state land by merely posting signs. In turn, it may designate limited areas open for limited shooting under WAC 232-13-130 (2).
Further, the rules create an arbitrary 1000-foot diameter "no-shooting area" around every designated campground (500 feet out in all directions). It was clearly conveyed to the Commission that one individual could be "illegally" shooting 100 feet away from a campground and be entirely safe while another could be "legally" shooting 501 feet away and be unsafe. Specific local conditions such as topography and variables such as campground usage and the direction of the shooting should be the relevant factors. Essentially, all nine commissioners went along with the argument made by the DFW Chief of Enforcement that campgrounds should be covered by the same standards already in state law that apply a 500 foot buffer around schools and homes. They ignored the NRA arguments that there are very basic differences between schools and homes in populated areas and campgrounds in the middle of rural, forested land where recreational shooting has occurred safely for generations.
Incredibly, the Commission even refused to add language that would exempt the discharge of a firearm for self-defense in campgrounds. As NRA pointed out during the public meeting, the new blanket prohibition violates Article I, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution.
Finally, WAC 232-13-130 (1) (c) now makes it unlawful to fail to remove expended shell casings and other target shooting debris after shooting activities. Another NRA suggestion that a "good faith effort" or "due diligence" standard be added to the language was ignored. What this means in practical terms is that a conscientious shooter who makes a legitimate attempt to clean up after his target practice session, but recovers only 99 percent of the shell casings he fired, is subject to sanctions for "littering."
It is important to note that there were four sections of the proposed rules that were very controversial. In addition to the section on firearms and shooting, there were sections regarding vehicle use, livestock and resource removal. The Commission acknowledged the concerns of the other user groups by voting to defer action on those issues but ignored the concerns of shooters when adopting the restrictive language outlined above. This action is a clear indication of how commissioners feel about the concerns of shooters as compared to those of other public land users. Firearm owners and recreational shooters need to stand up and take note of how this policy-setting body and its individual members feel about your interests and rights!
Unfortunately, the vote has been taken and, for now, the damage has been done. However, amendments to the section on firearms could be made in the future.
Old March 5, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
JaserST4

I can't shoot fish at the trout farm anymore? These people are out of control!
Old March 5, 2008, 04:09 PM   #6
OPC

JaserST4 wrote:
Quote:
I can't shoot fish at the trout farm anymore? These people are out of control!
Come on, now. Everyone knows you are supposed to shoot trout with a bow, not a gun.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:40 PM   #7
badmuther

I used to go on National Forest land down near Greenwater/Mt. Rainier off of highway 18.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:47 PM   #8
support_six

In trying to decide what to do here make sure you purchase a good map of the state that indicates what is private, state owned, BLM, US Forest Service, etc. There are different rules for each type of land ownership and knowing who owns what is very helpful, especially when a guy yells at you for shooting on his property when you can show him you are on BLM land.

I moved to Washington from Idaho five years ago so don't know myself what is what, but over here in South Central Washington we have lots of sage brush where you can shoot to your heart's content.

I used to hunt big game in the Owyhee mountains of Idaho. Much of the BLM land there was duel use (leased for cattle feeding yet still available for hunting). Many ranchers there padlocked their gates with no trespassing signs to keep hunters out. Hunters were not precluded by law to hunt there but the farmers didn't want their steers shot by accident. Lot's of hunters and dirt riders knew the law and just cut the locks. Lot's of confrontations happened but the ranchers were not in the right.
Old March 6, 2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Inspector3711

Yeah i'll check into it. pretty sure it's okay east of HWY18 between Tiger Mountain and I90 though. Saw some guys pulling a big buck outta there one morning last fall. I've seen others there during deer season with rifles. But I'll make sure. There was a time.. I used to shoot rats at the dump(in Oregon) for something to do... The guy that owned it loved us.
Old March 6, 2008, 11:21 AM   #10
PaulBk

Maple Valley checking in

Actually unincorporated King Co., but Maple Valley mailing address.

Quote:
15 years ago I could head southeast of Maple Valley, pull off and walk into the woods to shoot
Those days are long gone. You might want to consider Black Diamond Gun Club http://www.blackdiamondgunclub.org/index.html

Rates are reasonable, range is decent. Cascade range also just re-opened in Ravensdale.

HTH.

-Paul
Old March 6, 2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Inspector3711

Thanks PaulB... I live near Lake Wilderness inside the city limits. Anyway, I know a guy that shoots at Black Diamond. Big into the shotgun scene, I think he used to be an officer in the club. I'll talk to him next time he comes by. First I need to rejoin the NRA. With gas prices it may be cheaper not to drive to the woods!
Old April 3, 2008, 10:53 PM   #12
Inspector3711

Black Diamond gun club has a $150 "orientation" fee. I'll have to see if they will let me make payments, 150 is too much with the other stuff I'm trying to buy (reloading equipment and such). After that it's a much more reasonable $75 per year. Someone up the thread mentioned BLM maps. I looked one over at the book store last week and there just isn't tons of BLM land in Washington state for some reason. What is there is a very long drive from Seattle (maybe 200 mile or more). I would really like to go shoot Saturday...
Old April 6, 2008, 01:49 PM   #13
NWdude83

I heard you can still shoot in rural areas in Pierce county. The liberals in Seattle who run all of King county have made it hard to shoot anywhere decent on public lands in King county.
Old April 23, 2008, 01:32 PM   #14
dfelt

Shooting in unincorporated east King County

I was recently informed by a local sheriff's deputy that although I 'do not' live in a 'no shooting area' and I am shooting into an enbankment on my 5 acres, that I "cannot shoot anywhere in unincorporated King County when I am within 500 yards of a residential structure". This encounter came about because a recently moved in neighbor (roughly 350-400 yrds away) called 911 when he heard me shooting and the sheriff was dispatched to investigate. Does anyone know where I can find the actual RCW or WAC that details this regulation???
Old April 23, 2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Inspector3711

King County's website has the RCW's.... Might take awhile to find it but this sounds familiar.
Old April 23, 2008, 04:59 PM   #16
dfelt

'Familiar' as in this 500yrd rule sounds familiar, or familiar as in you keep hearing about BS instances like this? Neighbor files complaint and shuts down my right to use a firearm on my own private property?
Old April 23, 2008, 08:17 PM   #17
deanf

Quote:
"cannot shoot anywhere in unincorporated King County when I am within 500 yards of a residential structure".
Sounds like it might be a King County ordinance. That's where I'd start.
Old May 1, 2009, 03:55 PM   #18
kozaswmr

HWY-18 and I-90

Hi, I am new to this post but I have a question about the land east of HWY-18 and I-90. I called the Sheriff in that district, and she said that as long as it is not private property, that area is marked as an "OK SHOOT" area. Is anyone familiar with the roads around Rattlesnake road in that area? Is that all public land? If it is, sounds like it is ok to shoot in that area.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2009, 09:01 PM   #19
Jazen

I would be interested in a reply to this question as well.
Don't like ranges.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:53 AM   #20
Funeralfog

theres a ton of places here around Vancouver WA. it will be gone when im older though, so i enjoy it while i can
Old August 11, 2009, 12:31 AM   #21
AAN

Can anyone explain how to get to that spot, the land east of HWY-18 and I-90 ? ...is it still legal to shoot there?
Old August 13, 2009, 11:00 AM   #22
AAN

...or please point to any other outdoor wild places in the Seattle area...???
Old January 26, 2010, 12:50 AM   #23
jrsaw27

500 yrd rule?

this 500 yrd rule include homes? can i shoot on state owned land? whats a BLM land? has anyone found anything else out since 2008 when this thread ended?
Old January 27, 2010, 11:57 PM   #24
kilimanjaro

Not much BLM land in King County. Go to the North Bend or Enumclaw offices of the Forest Service, and get a Forest Map. Also talk to the folks there about what National Forest land is not closed by order to recreational shooting, you can reach most of the local federal public land from Lake Wilderness in an hour.

Police up your brass, don't leave any trash, and don't shoot bottles. Don't shoot the trees, and have a good backstop. Don't shoot from a road or over or at water, that's illegal.

Find a good place, keep it clean, and enjoy it.
Old January 31, 2010, 02:13 PM   #25
nickybh

How to get there...

So, I'm new to this thread but I know the area pretty well.

To get there you can go 1 of 2 ways. From Seattle (I-90) head east to the HWY18 exit (I think it's 32). Proceed west on HWY 18. Within 1-3 miles of starting out on 18 you will see open range area on the right hand side of the road, possibly even some trucks parked there. That's your spot. If it's hunting season be sure to wear your colors. If you start the climb up to Tiger Summit you have gone too far.

From the South End take HWY18 East and once you have made the descent from Tiger Summit the road will bend to the left and flatten out. The open range area will be on your left. If you get to the I90 interchange you have gone too far.

Also if anyone knows of areas in Pierce county out towards Mt. Rainier please share.