The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 10, 2012, 10:20 AM   #26
MLeake

AB, I stand no longer corrected. I had thought Philly was may issue, unlike the rest of PA, and ChuckS just confirmed that.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:28 AM   #27
RedBowTies88

It amazes me how naive some people are when it comes to the law in anti gun locations.

Just becuase the law says one thing doesnt mean that everything in their power wont be done to keep the law abiding citizen from buy or carrying a gun or weapon of any type.

Some say,.."well it's the law they have to do it" but they do not realize that in essence people in positions of power or authority basically do what they want until challenged. Even then they often come out on top because the judical system in their area shares the same view as they do.

Places like FL and UT help out greatly those who are oppressed buy their state or municipality. Granted bypassing the system isn't going to help change it for the better..but until we come together as a national group to the aid of those in such anti-freedom locations nothing will be changed
Old September 10, 2012, 11:51 AM   #28
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
AB, I stand no longer corrected. I had thought Philly was may issue, unlike the rest of PA, and ChuckS just confirmed that.
May issue by practice, but not by law. If you can find $5-10,000 maybe we can get Philly to follow the rule of law (in this situation).

To reiterate, the only differences Philly has (by statute) is that the issuance is by the Chief of Police (instead of by county sheriff) and you must have an LTCF to openly carry (city of the 1st class). So "shall issue" is the law, but Philly just doesn't practice it and nobody wants to spend the money to challenege it when there are more viable options.

Despite attempts at correction, the application and issuance of PA LTCF is not uniform throughout the state.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:14 PM   #29
Willie D

As a PA resident I have mixed feelings on the issue. The local Sheriff's depts. are granted far too much leeway so getting a permit can be far more cumbersome in one county than the next one over (and not just in Philly). Local Sheriffs seeming make up the rules as they see fit and those rules may even change in one county depending upon who is in the Sheriff's office. Also I've heard of permits being revoked for extremely tenuous circumstances.

There should be a uniform process and a law-abiding citizen shouldn't have to worry about where he lives when getting a permit. I almost considered doing the Utah permit class because it would have been easier.

That said, because of the way records are (not) shared between states, just about the only thing that can keep you from getting a FL permit would be felony convictions. So you may have someone PA knows to be mentally defective or has weaseled out of half a dozen drug/assault/etc. charges and still be able to get a permit. That bothers me a bit.