The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Matthew1973

870 Red dot sights

Im new to this site and i had a question on Red dot sights. I built up a 870 Express for home Defense, then found myself going crazy online buying Tactical Accesories for it. It turned out quite good. Credit card Bill... not so good But it was A hit at the Local Range. Anyway I was wondering if Anyone had a opinion on a good sight for it, i was on a bunch of sites online and saw the ones i like, but the reader reviews were horrible. im looking for something larger cause my wife is blind as a bat. I didnt want to spend a whole Bunch 100 to 150 bucks but i know you get what you pay for.Thanks for any Help. I know you all Know your stuff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870 Black Heat 2.jpg (211.0 KB, 112 views)
Old March 20, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Burris Fastfire, even comes with a mount that goes between the receiver and the stock on the 870.

Or you could get a top rail and mount a red dot on it that way (but the cheaper ones might not be able to withstand 12ga recoil...)

Old March 20, 2011, 11:47 PM   #3
trg42wraglefragle

Do you want a red dot scope or a holographic/reflex style sight?
If you want a red dot scope, Bushnell make one with 4 different reticule options which seems to have good reviews, I intend on getting one at some stage.

You can also get a saddle mount that fits over the top of the receiver, that way you want have to get it drilled and tapped for a base.
Old March 21, 2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Matthew1973

Thanks for the Feedback, I was thinking going Saddle type Mount with a TRUGLO 30mm but i kinda wanted a 40mm or above, I saw a BSA shadow 42mm that looked about right but for around 50bucks i was worried about the quality. The Shotgun is my Workhorse so something good for Range , Plinking and Home Defense. My other guns either dont need any optics or have High Power scopes, i never messed with red dots optics before.

Thanks
Matt
Old March 21, 2011, 10:25 AM   #5
zippy13

Greetings Matt, and welcome aboard.

I don't want to hijack your thread with a discussion on pointing vs. aiming a shotgun in a HD situation, but...

I've assisted several non-shooters with shotgun training and the purchase of their first gun, one for HD. They acknowledge that having a HD gun includes the commitment to maintain the gun and a reasonable level of proficiency with periodic training. The next thing I know, several years have passed, and I get a call: The gun's been in the back of the closet all this time, but it's now rusty -- what to do?

After the initial infatuation wears off, HD guns may be stored for long periods without attention. Because of this, if it were my gun, I wouldn't have any accessory that uses a battery. YMMV
Old March 21, 2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Technosavant

The thing you'll have to keep in mind is that there's a rather significant amount of recoil, and that's going to mess with the cheap optics. I'd go absolutely no lower than the Burris ones, but an Aimpoint H-1 would definitely be worth the money for a pump gun.

Still, I would recommend just practice. Shoot some skeet or trap with it; it will help you built familiarity with the shotgun, and as you do that, you'll find that an optic really isn't that necessary; if you have the gun mounted up properly, you don't need to align much of anything to hit a target at standard defensive ranges (inside 15 yards).
Old March 21, 2011, 03:09 PM   #7
carpshooter

Here's what I think !

I have had a BSA red dot on my Mossberg 590 for years .I was using them on my bows where they vibrate to pieces . The one on my 590 lasted a while as I always turned it off to save on the battery , getting about 6 hours life out of each battery .Well it quit after about 3 years , lasted longer than the ones on my bows .

I'll buy a better one next time , but really it has it's place but would go will a low power scope next time and stay clear of any batteries if possible !
Old March 21, 2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Technosavant

I wouldn't judge all battery powered optics by the made in China BSA stuff.

Battery life is another place where quality shines through. Buy cheap and keep spare power cells on hand, assuming the optic itself doesn't break. Buy quality, and it will be there when you need it- the Aimpoint Micros are good for what, 5 years of continuous run time on a CR2032 cell? A CompM4 is pushing 8 years out of a single AA. EOTechs are nowhere near as efficient, but that's the difference between LED technology and the holographic models.

Not everybody has the desire for that kind of quality, but there's a reason the BSA, Truglo, and Famous Makers cost $50-80 and the Aimpoints start at about $400 or so. It isn't because the Aimpoint secretaries have chauffeured limousines to work. It's because the optics themselves use expensive technology, and that pays returns in actual use.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:18 PM   #9
seansean1444

not sure about a sight but thats one mean gun haha
Old March 21, 2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Matthew1973

Thanks for having me aboard Everyone ,Now see this is why i love the internet. You all came up with what i was looking for . a nice Variety of Answers. Im the type of guy who Hates the made in China S@#t.. So that was a sound point.You get what you pay for. My other Guns are a Early 60's Marlin Model 99 M1 22. all original with sling and great old school Westernfield 4x20 scope and a Remington 700 SPS with a Bushnell Elite scope. the Red dot was a idea but to be honest now i wonder if i really need it to be honest. 00 Buck isnt exactly a pinpoint shot. lol. Im thinking at the most it would just be a cool Gadget. And as you can see with the Pic i dont think the 870 needs anymore, i went a little tactical with the credit card. But I thank you guys for taking the time to respond . im actually restoring the Marlins stock as we speak it was showing some age . Cant wait to take the little guy to the Range this weekend to plink.

Matt
Old March 22, 2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
the Red dot was a idea but to be honest now i wonder if i really need it to be honest. 00 Buck isnt exactly a pinpoint shot. lol. Im thinking at the most it would just be a cool Gadget.
I think that's the case- a red dot might be useful for turkey hunting, but for self defense, it's overkill on a shotgun. I have a Kobra optic on my Saiga 12, but that was more the result of having the thing laying around and decided to put it on there (if I ever get an AK rifle again, I'll move it over). It doesn't really lend much to the effort (but then again, the S12 is about #4 on the list of long guns I'd grab to repel boarders, so it isn't really for serious work).
Old March 22, 2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Deerhunter

If you decide you want one here you go.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/sp-series-red-dot/

I had one of these on my M-16 in Iraq. Beat the crap out of it for a year. When I got home I put it on my 870 for deer hunting. Still beat the crap out of it. Mine is 8 years old and still going strong.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:57 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of us are pretty darned effective using just a bead, open sights or a peep setup. And we don't have to worry about battery life.

In fact, chances are you'd be more effective with a bead than some red dot thing.

Try that out before further straining your cash flow.

Effective HD shotguns are made more by round count than gadgets......
Old March 22, 2011, 04:26 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

Dave, Does it make much difference that his wife is "blind as a bat" and I imagine that depends on just how blind is she.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Of course.

But a legally blind person is probably not doing much shooting. For someone with somewhat impaired vision, I'd be more inclined to try out a bright F/O bead or a BIG bead daubed with bright yellow paint.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:49 PM   #16
Matthew1973

Well I figure she has selected sight. Like when i ask her if she likes this gun or Lightbar for my truck she cant see it. but if its a new purse or a Tacky thing for our house she Zero's right in on it. lol, She does ok with the old Scope on the Marlin so thats a start. She is scared of the Remingtons. But hey she like's to hit the Range with me on weekends so i guess ill keep her around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Noelle with MP5.jpg (228.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Matthew1973; March 24, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old March 24, 2011, 11:38 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

I hear you about selective vision. Mine also has selective hearing. I have been trying to get the women to pay attention to the very fudamentals and it is one ear out the other. Finally yeaterday, my wife was actually trying to shoulder the 870 with the 18.5" barrel. It is too big for her but she could do it. Anyway my son came home just then and the wive immediatley aims at him for fun. We both screamed at her and now her feelings are hurt. She goes it isn't loaded is it and claims I never told her that you treat them all as though they are loaded. Now she won't come near the 870 for at least another month.
Old March 25, 2011, 06:41 AM   #18
Matthew1973

My wife We call her lightning. Never hits the same Spot twice, does the finger the whole time on the trigger deal. it makes me go mad. i shot a mellon at 15 feet with my 870 it seemed to get the message through. I think it was the happy face i put on it.
Old March 25, 2011, 10:49 AM   #19
ET.

I've toyed with using a red dot sight on my 870 express. I went so far as to buy & install the saddle mount on the gun. The red dot scope looks good on the gun but I haven't actually shot the gun with it mounted. I guess I know it won't last very long if I do. The concept is a good one but to get a red dot unit that will last I will have to spend more for it than I spent on the shotgun. I can't make myself do that. I'd rather set my sights on a new handgun. I still need a good 1911, a Glock 35, a Glock 20, a 357 magnum, an AR... Well you get the picture.
Old March 25, 2011, 10:56 AM   #20
ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlawMan:
We both screamed at her and now her feelings are hurt.
Yeah, something about screaming at them tends to hurt their feelings...Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew1973:
...it makes me go mad. i shot a mellon at 15 feet with my 870 it seemed to get the message through. I think it was the happy face i put on it.
I'm not real sure what message you were portraying here, but it doesn't leave a warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach.
Old March 25, 2011, 05:15 PM   #21
Matthew1973

Message..Hmm Well she needed to see that the Gun isnt a toy and must be respected. dont finger the trigger till you are ready to fire, the Mellon with Happy face..Well that was a pure power demonstration. Ok im not foolin anyone i wanted to blast a mellon.
Old March 25, 2011, 05:38 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

"Yeah, something about screaming at them tends to hurt their feelings...Who knew?"

I guess the screaming didn't make her feel good, but for an instant it was what if I didn't clear the chamber.

Some people keep trigger locks on their guns becasue of little kids, mine are there for my wife and adult daughter.
Old March 25, 2011, 11:30 PM   #23
Matthew1973

Cheers i heard that...My wife said she will go with me tommorow to the range. She wont shoot either Remingtons but the guy there has this MP5 Knockoff, 22cal. she fires atleast 300 rounds plus through it each time we go so im thinking of picking one up this month. There goes my Smith and Wesson M&P .. But I actually fired it last time it was a cool little deal. Wow Were so off base from Red dot scopes now. Let me flip this i think ill put one on the
MP5 Clone. and a ATI Stock, Single point Harness. see this is why i have to be supervised at all times.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:35 PM   #24
Ridge_Runner_5

The GSG-5 is a fun gun

Old March 26, 2011, 11:10 PM   #25
Matthew1973

Nice! there she is. That is a Very Fun Gun . Great pic Too. Ty Ridge Runner!