The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

In memoriam: my PACT BBK is dead

A crappy haiku for my now deceased PACT BBK:

New nine volt fails you
warranty cannot cover
your broken load cell

I'm going to call PACT, but I doubt they'll cover it. Since the load cell is pretty much the only thing that ever breaks on these,and happens to be the only thing NOT covered by the warranty, I have little faith.
Thank God for balance beams. After years of voodoo like preparations to avoid fluorescent lights, breaths of wind, gravity related traumas and other hazards of the reloading bench disrupting its fragile constitution, I can finally settle back to using my 15 year old Lyman balance beam scale.
Old November 15, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
That'll Do

That stinks that the PACT bit the dust. I have an el-cheapo $35 dollar digital Frankford Arsenal scale that hasn't failed me yet, knock on wood.

I've thought about upgrading to a digital RCBS model, but if it isn't broke, why fix it?
Old November 15, 2010, 04:50 PM   #3
k4swb

PACT

I dropped my original PACT scale a couple of years ago and it went berserk. I called to see if I could send it back and the tech asked me if I had a good BB scale. I told him I did and he proceeded to walk me through some settings and in about 10 minutes we had the PACT working once again. He told me to keep an eye on it and call back if I needed to, but i probably wouldn't need to. He was correct. Good luck with yours.
Old November 15, 2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Well, I called support. I pay my mailing cost to send it in to PACT, + $14.95 for return shipping. If the load cell failed, it's another $20. Anything else is covered. So conceivably $25-40 to repair it and get it back to me.
If I don't get it repaired,I suppose I can leave my fluorescent lights on and breathe at a normal pace near the reloading bench.
Old November 15, 2010, 08:10 PM   #5
rogn

Not trying to hijack the thread, but afetr hearing your lament about flourescent lights and breatheing, I just wanted to mention That I spent a lot of time researching scales after my FA supercheap died without provacation. I wasnt in a hurry to replace it, and whe I did I wanted to keep it for a while. After several months I found that the Dillon scale had nothing but possitive feedback. No issues w/ lights, static electricity, wandering, stacking and all the other VooDoo. . Now its just a scale and nothing more but it works in a trustworthy manner.
Old November 16, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Poodleshooter

Honestly, I'm pretty happy just using a balance beam. My old Lyman works pretty good, and so do all of the RCBS 5-0-5 units that I've used. Even the Lee safety scale isn't too bad.
The only virtue that electronic scales have for me is pure speed, but since I don't weigh every charge, it's often a moot point. I just used it as a check for my balance beam.

I think I'll get it fixed anyway. Seems a shame to waste a scale.
Old November 16, 2010, 12:06 PM   #7
CowTowner

IMHO, being a recycler (read reloader) means fixing the old one should have been the first choice as long as budget allowed.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy