The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Just finished my Pistol Case

Just finished my pistol case. Hung it in the bedroom. (My wife it too tolerant for her own good.)

On left from top is 1960NMA then three Colts. ON the right is ASP 1860 in the white, ASM 1860 (brass!?) Pietta 1851 pattern Lawman in .44 and the C.O.M. Sheriff's model with the loose arbor.
Old August 8, 2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Slowhand

Display Case

Nicely done. Your wife has a lot of tolerance. I have 3 wall hangers in the den or man cave and an old spanish pistol sitting on the mantle, in the living room. Great job on the choice of colors and other decor.

Last edited by Slowhand; August 8, 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling of course
Old August 8, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

We have an agreement

I don't make her go shooting with me and she does not make me go to church with her.

Oh...and she leaves my beer alone.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Hardcase

A fine job, Doc. And you are a fortunate man, indeed!
Old August 8, 2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

HC

Thanks, Friend.
Old August 8, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Slowhand

Speaking about the wife

My last wife objected to my last firearm purchase. She gave the impression that it was either the gun or her. I told her I would miss her. My lawyer is sorting it all out.
Old August 8, 2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

On a serious side

Not that you were not serious about the lawyer, Slowhand but....

My first wife, who I refer to as my Thankfully Ex wife was the reason for my getting rid of my first group of BP pistols. She is somewhere in Washington state trying unsuccessfully to control my two sons now. It is nice to have her at the opposite end of the continent.

My second and present wife is more educated, more reasonable, harder working, more likable, more understanding, and better looking. I don't deserve her and spend most of my time trying to keep her in the dark about how completely useless I am.
Old August 8, 2010, 07:21 PM   #8
PetahW

Nice - Shadow box displays aren't seen very often, these days, what with everything locked away in gunsafes....................

Old August 8, 2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Slowhand

Shadow Box Displays

Seeing as how they are in a bedroom and no doubt he has an alarm system they might be safe. I doubt the average burglar is going to know how to load and use a black powder pistol. I also would bet the guy at the pawn shop wouldn't be impressed either. I keep all mine in a safe, except for 3 non-firing replicas and the Spanish Lady Dueling Pistol I have. She sits on the mantle.

Besides I have two killer watch cats.

I wasn't joking about the soon to be ex-wife. It was of course only one of several disagreements. But as of June, it's a whole new ball game. Of course at 60, I've taken the blood oath and swear ever to do it again. I have a couple of would be replacements lining up for the vacancy but I'm not playing any reindeer games.

Last edited by Slowhand; August 8, 2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: usual errors
Old August 8, 2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
My first wife, who I refer to as my Thankfully Ex wife was the reason for my getting rid of my first group of BP pistols. She is somewhere in Washington state trying unsuccessfully to control my two sons now. It is nice to have her at the opposite end of the continent.

My second and present wife is more educated, more reasonable, harder working, more likable, more understanding, and better looking. I don't deserve her and spend most of my time trying to keep her in the dark about how completely useless I am.
Boy Doc, we sure do have a lot in common. BTW, love your idea of bedroom decor too.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 8, 2010, 10:56 PM   #11
Rampant_Colt

Very cosmopolitan, Doc

Blackpowder cartridge board next..?
Old August 9, 2010, 05:47 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Alarm System

Yes we have a system but we use it little since our schedules generally have someone in the house pretty much all of the time.

It only takes five mintes for tragedy to strike. And leaving an alarm system turned off is a little dumb.

Right now I have a failed door sensor so the primary point of entry is unprotected anyway. I ordered the switch last Friday and will put it in when it comes in.

The security company wanted 105.00 to come out and service the system. The switch was 7.99 plus five bucks priority shipping. Note: FIVE BUCKS PRIORITY SHIPPING. I like a company that does not try to make a profit on shipping and handling.
Old August 9, 2010, 05:53 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

Rampant Colt

Would a black powder cartridge board be a pile of 17 grains of fffg, a cap and a .36 ball next to a pile of 25 grains of fffg with a cap and a .44 ball?

Old August 9, 2010, 07:03 AM   #14
ClemBert

Beautifully done Doc!

The only problem I'd have with that display in my house is the constant urge to fondle them everytime I walked by. I'd never get anything done around here. You know, outta sight outta mind.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:43 AM   #15
Doc Hoy

Fondle them!? Fondle them!?

Before I put these pistols up, I kept them in woolen socks. The woolen socks are worn out from taking the pistols out and putting them away. I put the shadow box up four days ago and I have already saved $13.00 on socks.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:32 AM   #16
Slowhand

Tell me... you're not a shrink?
Old August 9, 2010, 10:37 AM   #17
Doc Hoy

Well no, but...

...one of the classes I teach is PSYC305.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:40 AM   #18
Rampant_Colt

<Marty McFly> Doc, Doc! Ever heard of cartridge conversions?

I think a BP handgun cartridge board would be a nice addition to your fine six-shooter display case

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dexId=cat20913
Old August 9, 2010, 12:48 PM   #19
Doc Hoy

RC

Yes,

I pretty much knew what you were referring to.

One of my faults is that I don't make a point of telling folks when I am kidding on this forum. It has gotten me into hot water on more than one occassion. You would think I would learn.....I mean I even drink a smart man's beer....(Genius Stout)

By the way, I do agree that a cartridge board for BP cartridges would be an interesting addition.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; August 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old August 9, 2010, 01:05 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

Doc - beautiful job on the display case! I hope you made two of them . . . one for your shootin' irons and one for the Mrs. to hang and display her jewelry in? After all . . . when a lady puts up with a hobby like ours, there is eventually going to be some "baubles" that she wants too! Again . . . it looks terrific!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 9, 2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Doc Hoy

Thanks BBB

But let me ask a question of folks in the group.

Please understand, BBB I am not complaining or criticizing. This really is a question I have been wanting to address. I will raise the issue even though it has nothing to do with shadow boxes. (Don't ask me why that should matter now...I have hijacked more threads in the last two years than Carter has Little Liver Pills.) If it appears to have legs, it can be moved to a new thread.

I have shot BP off and on for quite some time, but I never really thought of it as a hobby. It seems to engender a devotion which rises above being a hobby but does not quite make it to the "way-of-life" level.

So what is it? A hobby? A pursuit? An interest? Or maybe it doesn't matter.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:12 PM   #22
mykeal

All of the above, depending on the individual.

For me it's a bit more than a hobby, but certainly not a way of life. Perhaps a 'serious pastime', or maybe an 'earnest pursuit'.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:51 PM   #23
Doc Hoy

Yeah....Yeah....Thats the ticket

I like both of those and I must admit that I get my nose a little out of joint if I hear it referred to as hobby.

I am kind of a quirky guy and these things weigh heavily upon my mind.

I am at lisk of unsulting or offending Bedbug here and, the Lord knows, Billy, I do not mean to. Your devotion is clearly beyond question.
Old August 9, 2010, 03:08 PM   #24
Rampant_Colt

Do you ever take them out of the case and quick-draw while wearing a cowboy hat and holster in front of the mirror when movies like The Good, Bad and Ugly or Josie Wales comes on?
Old August 9, 2010, 04:09 PM   #25
Hardcase

Doc:

Somebody asked me if I was a "collector" or an "accumulator". Well, I figured that if I was a collector, that would mean that I had some sort of plan or goal in mind for the guns that I bought. But if I was an accumulator, then I'd just be picking up any old thing that came by.

I know that there's some kind of theme that a person could detect if he were to give all the guns a look-see.

So I decided that I was an accumulector. Or maybe a collumulator. Anyway, it seems to me like there's an analogy here that I'm trying to make.