The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 20, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Rob228

Youth Model 1100 Stock

I'm looking to get an 1100 in 20 gauge for my wife (She shot my dads old skeet model last christmas and fell in love) but the length of pull is too long on all that I have seen. Does anyone know of someone that sells youth sized stocks in a mid to high grade walnut? (She doesn't care about the wood, but I can't have my better half shooting something ugly)
Old July 21, 2010, 11:18 AM   #2
zippy13

Why buy a youth stock? Your best bet is to have a stock custom fit to your wife's exact requirements. Any number of sources can provide 1100 wood -- the Remington Country Store often has close-out deals on factory stocks. Be advised there are two different 20-ga 1100 actions and they use different stocks.

The big question isn't where to get a stock, but why consider a 20-ga? IMHO, your wife would be better served with a more versatile 12-ga. With today's ammo, a 12-ga can be down loaded to match a 20, but a 20-ga can't be uploaded for 12-ga performance.
Old July 21, 2010, 11:29 AM   #3
oneounceload

I agree with Zippy's comments. I have downloaded 12 gauge to 28 gauge levels and they successfully worked a borrowed Beretta X-plor, which is set up to handle 2-3/4 light loads to 3-1/2' goose killers. Feels like you're shooting a .22. With the new light target loads out today, the versatility of the 12 is at a point where sub gauges can be matched in low recoil and reduced payloads very easily.

Wenig's has a great reputation for stocks.

Quote:
Wenig Ladies Stock - Our new Ladies Stocks are basically a "more extreme" version of our New American Style and are designed (down pitch & parallel comb) to help reduce the recoil. The Wenig Ladies Stock provides for a deeper Monte Carlo, more offset in the comb, an even closer grip, shorter length of pull, and an exaggerated toe out. With approximate dimensions of 1-5/8 x 1-5/8 x 3 x 13-1/4, an offset comb of 1/8", and a toe out of 1/2", this stock works great for both women and beginning youth shooters. You may also order our "High Comb" Ladies Stock, which features a 1/4" higher comb, making approximate dimensions 1-3/8 x 1-3/8 x 3 x 13-1/4. Click here to view our catalog insert on the Wenig Ladies Stock.
http://www.wenig.com/
Old July 21, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

FYI, a couple of gals I know sing the praises of that Wenig stock,properly fitted. They shoot well. Both use 12s and are not Amazons.

Amen to Zippy. A PROPERLY fitted stock will greatly add to your spouse's comfort and aid her shooting immensely.
Old July 21, 2010, 03:24 PM   #5
BigJimP

+1 on what our learned colleagues said ...

Gun Fit is really a big deal ...especially to a new shooter.

I wouldn't presume / or recommend you just buy an 1100 that you think will fit your wife ( anymore than you probably want your wife picking out your shotguns for you ..).

I would really try and find a certified NSCA / NSSA instructor in your area ...buy her some lessons ....and then take her gun shopping and let her buy what she really wants. Just cut the check / don't pick her gun for her ...or her car ....or her wardrobe ....( she'll be more impressed that you wanted to spend the time with her to help her, when she wants your opinion, and let her pick out a nice gun for herself / than if you just buy one for her ).

My wife doesn't shoot ....but I've quit trying to predict which shotguns people will really like. There was a discussion about a "yellow" Browning Cynergy O/U on here a few weeks back ....what was interesting, I showed the photo to my 19yr old grandson and he thought it was pretty cool. His dad thought it was ugly / but the kid still liked it. Same kid really likes my Benelli Super Sport 12ga as well. I purchased another Benelli 12ga Super Sport / offered it to one of my boys - and he said he'd much rather have one of my Browning O/U's - scratches and all. One of my granddaughters has really taking a liking to a 20ga Benelli Super Sport I have as well - and while she has the choice of shooting it - or a very nice Browning 20ga O/U ....or a nice Browning 28ga O/U ....she picks the Benelli every time....

Let her pick her own gun ... / and spend the money to get it fit just right !
Old July 21, 2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Rob228

So far I've taught her to shoot pistol and rifle, however you are all bringing up some very good points about having a pro teach the shotgunning. We are on a budget, But I can see her getting a lot more out of a few sessions with a pro than me, and she'll at least listen to what he has to say.

I don't want her to get discouraged, as she enjoys rifle and pistol shooting, and had a blast shooting shotguns last christmas when we went home for the holidays (that was when she was using my dads 1100, which did not even come close to fitting her).

The only way I could make it work by taking her shopping would be to not ever let her see the price. My logic with the 1100 with a youth model stock is that the youth model 870 I gave her a year ago (it was my first gun, when I was 12) comes very close to being what I interpret as a great fit.

Everyone has some very good points to ponder, now I am kicking myself for seeing that youth model 1100 LT20 on gunsamerica, seems like too good a deal to pass up, unless it doesn't actually work for her, in which case I'll have a very small shotgun that doesn't fit anyone.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:00 PM   #7
BigJimP

Ask around at your local club .....a lot of us have guns that we only bring out for new shooters ( the boy scouts day at the club, etc ) or we use for new shooters ...

Many of us have guns we've cut down for grandkids ( they grow 3" every year / so I'm not going to have a gun custom fit to a 13 yr old ..) ....or guns we've just picked up at a gun show ...etc

and a lot of guys will bring them in / let her or you both --- try them out. That way she can refine this idea of "fit" a lot more / and try a lot of different guns. There are a lot of ways to adjust a gun to fit / comb pads, different recoil pads, cutting a stock, etc ....

You don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money. One of my local clubs even has a dozen or so 1100's for rent / and a couple in "youth sizes" ....and there are lots of 1100's , 11-87's etc on the used market --- especially if you learn to "gun smith" them a little. You might find one that won't cycle ----and all it needs is a few dollars in parts and some TLC .../and sand and refinish the stock for her ...
Old July 21, 2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Rob228

One of the problems I am having is that I live in Southern California (Not by choice, by orders) so clubs are few and far between. I know that MCCS runs a skeet range here on base on the weekends, but I was leaning toward a different route.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:44 PM   #9
oneounceload

You might want to PM Zippy13 -he lives in that area, he might have some places to shoot you might like.........good luck
Old July 21, 2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Rob228

Thanks, my next step is making sure that I don't take her comments of how much she enjoyed and make her lose interest, so as suggested I am going to approach her about lessons before I start to put any serious money into what might just go to waste.
Old July 22, 2010, 10:48 AM   #11
BigJimP

I'm pretty sure that Skeet range is still closed - but talk to Zippy13 - he will know all the ranges in your area.