The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Huskerguy

Looking for some 223 reloading data

I have searched high and low for data on a couple of bullets I have - to no avail. I have some books ordered in addition to what I already have but like everything else they are "backordered." I have searched the net with no luck either. The Winchester site gives me nothing that I find anyway.

Using Varget powder and 55 grain, FMJ/BT Winchester Bullet
I have found Nosler and Speer data ranging from 23 to 27.5 for starting loads

I would like to start at 23/23.5 grains and work up from there

The other bullet is a Winchester 55 grain SP - Speer has Spire Point data ranging from 25.5 to 27.5 - but I cannot find Soft Point data.

Anyone else use these bullets or can direct me to a site that has some data on these bullets? Thanks for the help.
Old April 25, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Sevens

Hodgdon markets all Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders.

As powder manufacturers' go, Hodgdon's website ("reloading data center") is the best one out there. It's flexible, has a lot of data, and IMO, it's better than anyone else who makes powder.

Try www.hodgdon.com
Old April 25, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Huskerguy

I love that site as well but still can't find the data for the exact bullets I am reloading. I know there is a different in pressures for a straight bullet and a boat tail. If all sites were as user friendly as the Hodgdon site it would be a breeze.
Old April 25, 2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Sevens

IMO, the difference between a FMJ / boat tail / flat base bullet when loading rifle is not significant in the same way that it is when talking about the difference between FMJ and, say, JHP in a handgun round.

If you must have specific data for a specific round, contact the bullet maker. In this case, send an e-mail to Winchester.

But I'd just go with the data on the Hodgdon site.
If I used Varget, I'd be happy to tell you my pet loads, but I don't have that powder. The printed Hodgdon guide that I have handy (2008) suggests that with a 55 grain bullet, 27.5 grains of Varget (MAX loads, and compressed) develops 3,384 fps and 49,700 CUP.

I'd start at 24.5 grains and work up from there. So far, there's three sources that are calling 27.5 grains max. That's a big green light, as far as I'm concerned.
Old April 25, 2009, 08:19 AM   #5
steve4102

Use data from any 55gr bullet of similar design.

Load data is not a recipe and should not be treated as such. You will NEVER be able to match load data to the exact components listed. To many variables like lot numbers, temp, altitude etc. After all you are not using the exact rifle or test chamber used in published load data either.

Find some 55gr data and go for it. Just remember to "start low and work up".
Old April 25, 2009, 11:28 AM   #6
mkl

Quote:
Find some 55gr data and go for it. Just remember to "start low and work up".
+1

Although I may get some flak from this: IMO it does not matter who makes the bullet or what the exact ogive curve is as long as the weight is the same as the load data you want to use.

I've been reloading for over 40 years, and I only worry about the bullet weight when I look up a "start" load in the books. I do keep the jacketed and cast load data separate, but as far as who make the bullet or its shape, I could care less.

I have started low, and worked up for almost 50 years so far and have yet to blow myself up by using bullet weight and jacketed/cast as the only criteria for selecting my powder charges from the loading books.