The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 19, 2016, 03:54 PM   #1
HughScot

A suggestion when shipping from AIM

Just got a BCG from Aim Surplus. The shipping was free and while mine did arrive okay it was shipped in a lightly padded envelope. It was almost coming through the package at one end. If they will, ask them to send in a box and pay a little extra.
Old September 19, 2016, 10:00 PM   #2
MagnumWill

I prefer the PSA Premium M16 carriers, and they come in a nifty thick-walled cardboard message tube. I've forgotten all about AIM, they're always out of stock when I check for things.
Old September 20, 2016, 07:50 AM   #3
Mobuck

I would suggest letting AIM know about the potential problem. Most companies are looking for the cheapest alternative in packaging and shipping but may not be getting the feedback from experiences such as yours.
A "lost" $100 part would go a long way against saving a few pennies on inadequate packaging.
Old September 20, 2016, 08:03 AM   #4
stagpanther

It's probably the USPS $5 "if it fits, it ships" packing--I've had even rifle barrels come shipped this way (funny enough, you might get charged more than $5 for the shipping by the shipper).
Old September 21, 2016, 12:05 AM   #5
Ibmikey

I have purchased at least two dozen BCG's from Aim, really trust their ni boron unit for $99. Each arrived in a rolled up envelope with the carrier padded and so much tape bullets would bounce off , sounds like the OP's was packed just before coffee break. When items go missing at Aim they seem to restock quickly.
Old September 21, 2016, 07:06 AM   #6
deerslayer303

A few days ago I received one of AIM's Nitrided BCG'S as well and mine too was packed in a lightly padded envelope. While it made it here without a scratch, I too thought the packaging was a little lax. The hard cardboard tube PSA sends theirs in can't be much more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old September 21, 2016, 09:45 AM   #7
marine6680

Check the gas key, I have had a BCG get to me and looked great, but for the dent in the gas key.
Old September 22, 2016, 04:34 AM   #8
peggysue

I need a light weight BCG from AIM but been out of stock. $ 119-129. I keep checking.
Old September 22, 2016, 02:28 PM   #9
SamNavy

As an alternative to AIM (which I've bought from twice) for BCG's, I purchased from TomsTactical because they accept Paypal and I had some money from a deal that had been sitting in there for months.

I bought their NIB EXO BCG and a Nitride version. Marketing says the EXO coat is done by FailZero and they have free shipping. USPS says the parts are on my porch right now... will letcha know about packaging when I get home.

http://www.tomstactical.com/bolt-carrier-groups

MBUS sets for $70 shipped are also as low as I've seen... anybody who knows lower, please let me know.
Old September 22, 2016, 06:32 PM   #10
SamNavy

My stuff from Toms arrived fine... small flat-rate box and bubble-wrapped. Coatings look great, although my frames of reference are limited... bolts had MPI stamps, everything in order as expected. The action works much smoother than the PSA phosphate BCG's these replaced.

I will be looking to Toms whenever I've got some Paypal money sitting around.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160922_163502_resized_1 (Large).jpg (116.1 KB, 289 views)
Old October 4, 2016, 10:20 AM   #11
Ibmikey

The drums are rolling....what condition will my latest BCG ordered from Aim be in ? ( a dozen or so others made it just fine) Will it be in all that bullet proof wrapping that they always have been in and arrived in perfect condition, or will it look like a pretzel? Tomorrow will provide the answer to this most intrigueing question. Major report to follow as a BCG is also due from Aero Precision...how will the shipping containers differ? Will either be damaged beyond repair? Can either survive the US Postal System? Boy am I excited awaiting the outcome
Old October 4, 2016, 12:52 PM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
The drums are rolling....what condition will my latest BCG ordered from Aim be in ? ( a dozen or so others made it just fine) Will it be in all that bullet proof wrapping that they always have been in and arrived in perfect condition, or will it look like a pretzel? Tomorrow will provide the answer to this most intrigueing question. Major report to follow as a BCG is also due from Aero Precision...how will the shipping containers differ? Will either be damaged beyond repair? Can either survive the US Postal System? Boy am I excited awaiting the outcome
You always seem to have good luck!
Old October 4, 2016, 01:50 PM   #13
rickyrick

PayPal you say.....

I don't have to pay for two weeks with PayPal....
Old October 5, 2016, 06:48 AM   #14
Ibmikey

Stag, Not good luck, I could not win off of a raffle with all the tickets---but items I have bought, firearms, accessories etc seem to be just what I. Expected or better.
Now the postal system is different, I have about ten percent of my packages go elsewhere before making it to me. Pistols mailed to me on my C& R have gone to both Honolulu and Anchorage before finally making it to Spokane Wa, then it is another crap shoot if the distribution center can get it to my town or send it out to visit others first.
At least they eventually get to me as I have never lost a mailing yet. Today the Aim BCG is due if it is not destined for a visit to another local PO first..also have an Aero BCG due today...I will compare wrapping.
Old October 5, 2016, 03:15 PM   #15
rickyrick

The post office sadly has taken a turn for the worst. I get a few packages a month that aren't mine, so I deliver them myself if they are in my neighborhood.

Not sure how much of my mail suffers the same fate, I've had to file some missing. I get my critical gun stuff sent to ups stores.
Old October 25, 2016, 06:30 AM   #16
Ibmikey

After all the noise i made about BCG packaging I forgot to post my findings with the arrival of two BCG's from different sources. I am happy to report that both managed to arrive in pristine condition. A third BCG from PSA was packed in a box along with a box of 120 65 gr cartridges ( one of their promotions) the box arrived from UPS still square and the carrier was in a tube inside , even the ammo was still in it's box instead of scattered about the shipping container. Oh well! Nothing else worthy of continuing other than to say none of the three packages went to Anchorage or some other miss-directedd place before coming here.
Old October 25, 2016, 07:37 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The post office sadly has taken a turn for the worst. I get a few packages a month that aren't mine, so I deliver them myself if they are in my neighborhood.
A lot depends on your carrier. There is a chain of human driven activities that gets a package to your door. Weakest link...

I haven't had service as reliable as I do today at any point in my life, and for a non-commercial user I have a lot of packages delivered as I do most of my shopping online and have for 15+ years. Saying hello to my postman and his substitutes doesn't seem to hurt.
Old October 25, 2016, 04:48 PM   #18
peggysue

Carriers are Government Union and they can be butts and follow their rules to the letter. Some are above the law.
Old October 27, 2016, 07:28 AM   #19
Ibmikey

My carrier is a sweetheart, she will drive into the driveway and leave packages along with other mail in the air lock between front doors ( this is the Great Frozen NW at times) or mud room if you wish. When at the PO if she has not left on her route and recognizes my voice she will deliver my mail at the counter. At my request she calls me if package is super heavy and i go to PO and pick up. When my neighbir's mail started to back up my carrier left a note to check on the old gal to see that she was ok. I left a reply the neighbotr would be back the next day and apparently forgot to stop mail. This is a small community and people are still nice.
Kind of got off the topic but my Aim BCG that arrived yesterday was packed differently, in a rolled up padded envelope scrounged from the PO.
Old October 27, 2016, 09:47 AM   #20
HughScot

"My carrier is a sweetheart, she will drive into the driveway and leave packages along with other mail in the air lock between front doors ( this is the Great Frozen NW at times) or mud room if you wish. When at the PO if she has not left on her route and recognizes my voice she will deliver my mail at the counter. At my request she calls me if package is super heavy and i go to PO and pick up. When my neighbir's mail started to back up my carrier left a note to check on the old gal to see that she was ok. I left a reply the neighbotr would be back the next day and apparently forgot to stop mail. This is a small community and people are still nice.
Kind of got off the topic but my Aim BCG that arrived yesterday was packed differently, in a rolled up padded envelope scrounged from the PO.
October 25, 2016 05:48 PM"

Sounds like my UPS guy, he's an old guy and goes out of his way to do a great job.