The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Dalton

How to Clean Anodized Aluminum Frame

Hey guys

I have a Beretta 92fs that was a police trade in. It has very minimal wear, but it does have some dark patches, especially where the crotch of your hand would rest on the back of the grip.

How can I clean the anodized aluminum frame of the gun as best as I can without damaging the finish. I've heard various things, like one site said to not use heat while cleaning. It said if you were using water on it, to use cool water. I'd heard that Taurus cleans similar finish with WD-40, but Beretta specifically says not to use that. My thought now is Hoppe's #9 and maybe dawn and cool water.

Thanks for any help or tips you guys can give me.
Old September 19, 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Niner4Tango

I am wondering how a dark patch could show up on a black 92FS frame They're already as dark as they can get.

You're on the right track for cleaning it though. I would use lighter fluid, then WD40, then soapy water. Use a toothbrush and work on it slowly. If none of those get it, maybe your finish is damaged? Good luck.
Old September 19, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3
ShootingNut

Niner,
The frame (unusual for police trade-in) may be like a Inox?
Old September 19, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

It's more likely the dark areas are simply wear of the anodized finish, in which case there's nothing to be done short of a total refinish of the frame.
When an anodized silver aluminum finish wears it gets a dark blotchy color.

To clean, you can use most solvents like lacquer thinner or paint thinner, or a ordinary kitchen spray cleaner like 409, but NOT a strong degreaser like Simply Green or Greased Lightning.
These strong cleaners attack and damage aluminum.

You could also coat the area with some CLP Breakfree and let soak overnight, then wipe it off.
A bore solvent like Hoppe's #9 on a patch with some gently rubbing will work.
Neither of these can harm the finish.

If after whatever cleaning method the dark areas are still there, it's worn finish and nothing can be done without refinishing the entire frame.
Old September 19, 2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
The frame (unusual for police trade-in) may be like a Inox?
Even the Inox models have an aluminum frame -- which explains the slightly different "look" of the two shades of silver (stainless and aluminum).
Old September 19, 2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Coach Z

If it's just a minor cleanup that is needed FLITZ polish should take care of it. If it is actually wear through the finish of the gun then you'll need to consider having the frame refinished if you want to solve the "issue" If you go that route Robar is a great company for refinishing.

Tags
anodized , clean , cleaning