The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 23, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
PatientWolf

Still need 1911 recommendation for $750

I'm still on the fence on which 1911 to buy. I saw a Sig 1911 RCS used on consignment for about 850, but they wouldn't budge on price and since the original receipt in the box says $890, I think my offer was good. Regardless, I am still looking for a 1911, and would like suggestions.

I've seen in the last couple days:
Ruger SR1911 (full size) for $700
Remington R1S for $725
Colt series 80 for $999, out of my desired range, but it's a Colt. I didn't like the low profile pinned sights that could not be easily replaced though.
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for $569
RIA Tactical II for $589

I loved the Officer frame and Commander slide/barrel format, but don't seem to be able to find what I want in my range. Thinking I may have to go to the full size format or be REALLY patient until I stumble across a used RCS, C3, CCO or similar.

Last edited by PatientWolf; March 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:22 AM   #2
KyJim

Between the ones you listed, I would get the Ruger. If there is a problem, Ruger will fix it. Buying a used 1911 means you are the one who fixes it. I've mostly had good luck buying used but the Ruger is a very good pistol, by all accounts.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Lanzelot

Re: Still need 1911 recommendation for $750

I like the Remington, I have a R1 and it's a great gun.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
thedudeabides

Get the Colt.

It has much nicer parts and will outlast the others.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:16 PM   #5
ET.

Of the ones you've listed, I personally would buy the Ruger also. I wanted one in 2011 when they first came out, but couldn't find one anywhere, so I bought a Springfield Range Officer instead. My neighbor invited a friend of his along on our last range trip whom had purchased an SR1911 before Chirstmas & had not shot it yet. We broke it in for him by shooting 200 rounds without a single failure. It might not be the best 1911 on the market, but it is good enough to have as a carry or self defense pistol in my opinion. I'm not an expert, so take this for what it's worth. At last check I think my thoughts were worth about a penny...at least that is what was being offered.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:50 PM   #6
-Xero-

Quote:
Buying a used 1911 means you are the one who fixes it. I've mostly had good luck buying used but the Ruger is a very good pistol, by all accounts.
Ruger, Springfield, Leupold, and some other mfg's will warrant the item if it has their name on it.

I have several Rugers, but for 1911 Springfield builds them the way they're supposed to be built. You should be able to find a Springfield Mil-Spec used in your price range. Used is still covered by warranty.

I've purchased dozens of used firearms, from pawn shops, gun shops, etc. Mil-Surp from Big 5. I've never had a problem with any of them, save some war rifles that I knew were a project when I bought them.

I have a Springfield Mil-Spec, and Ultra-Compact, both purchased used and both warranted by Springfield -- although I've never had a problem with either, not in 20 years.

1911 is an inherently $$$ choice. They're also a long-term investment and a good one is only going to increase in value. I think better to shell out some extra for quality and then have it for decades to come.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Uncle Malice

Ruger or Springfield for sure. I wouldn't have any concerns about buying either one of them used. Ruger will take care of you and so will Springfield.

I'm wanting to pick up the Ruger commander, myself. Such a good looking gun. Ruger also makes some custom designed redwood grips in their online store too if you really want to make it pop.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Topthis

Honestly...I would say that any one of those 1911's will do you just fine!! Having owned or currently owning 1911's from Rock Island's to Nighthawks and Ed Browns and pretty much shot every make of 1911 out there, I can't say that I have had any issues with owning any of them.
How do they feel in your hands, what are you going to be using it for...that should be the criteria for your purchase, because I'm pretty sure that they will all go Bang when you pull the trigger. Good luck on your decision.
Old March 23, 2013, 05:03 PM   #9
JWT

I have both the commander and military sized Ruger SR1911s as well as a Dan Wesson, Colt, and Kimber. For the price the Ruger is probably the best buy of the lot.

They're all very good guns. The DW and Kimber are nicer than the Rugers or the Colt (Series 8) but they also cost almost twice as much. i don't think you'll find a better 1911 in your price range than the Ruger.
Old March 23, 2013, 05:43 PM   #10
larryf1952

Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911G. For a mid price 1911, they exhibit incredible build quality, fit and finish, and the trigger and accuracy are to be experienced to be believed.

I also own or have owned Colt, Springfield, and Kimber, and I have fired the Ruger. The DE bows down to none of them. The Commander sized model is the 1911C.
Old March 23, 2013, 05:48 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Buying a used 1911 means you are the one who fixes it.
Rock Island has a lifetime warranty no matter who originally bought it.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Pud

My vote...the Ruger.
I picked up the SR1911 CMD in Jan...love it!
EXCELLENT firearm, now going to be my EDC...
PUD
Ruger P97 / Ruger SR1911 CMD / Ruger SR9c / S&M M&P 15 Sport/Ruger Mk 3 22/45./ S&W PC Shield
Old March 23, 2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

All of the 1911s you've narrowed down are valid choices in their own right. It depends on what's the purpose of the purchase, what's important to you in how it's built, what materials are used, finish preferences, features you want, etc.

In short, more information is needed before actual sound advice can be given. Example of something so miniscule yet is a game changer? After giving time for Ruger to circulate long enough to the masses to make sure their SR1911 doesn't have any hangups, I could very well tell you I'd recommend it. I really like mine. But that's a real crappy suggestion if you're adamant on having a blued 1911....since Ruger doesn't make one blued yet.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 23, 2013, 07:51 PM   #14
PatientWolf

Thanks for the recommendations

More information per Shane's post...
As I said, I love the officer frame format with the commander length slide barrel. For me, it would be semi-usable as a CCW (at least that's what I am telling myself). I'm still noodling that Sig 1911 RCS used @ 850.

Blue would be a new finish for me, but a Stainless is not a deal killer (I'd love the corrosion resistance of stainless with a blued or black finish).

A rail is probably a deal killer for me. To me, it just isn't a 1911 with the rail.

I like anti-snag sights that are easy to aquire and would prefer night sights. The low profile sights on the Colt I thought would be too difficult to acquire and would not be easy to replace.

I prefer a beaver tail safety and a loop hammer.
Ambi controls are not a requirement for me, but a decent trigger and reliability are.

When I buy firearms, I generally cannot afford the best (hence the budget) but I always try to buy very good quality, reliability and accuracy for my hard earned money.

This will most likely be my next, but not my last 1911.

Last edited by PatientWolf; March 23, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:16 PM   #15
Joe_Pike

I think you'll have a difficult time finding a SA Mil-Spec for $569. At least you would where I live. The last one I saw was $699 and that's the only one I have seen in a very long time. I think I would buy one at $569 if I ran across one even though I can't afford it at the moment.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:20 PM   #16
PatientWolf

Oops. Sorry, you are correct. It was a typo. The price was $659 on the Mil-Spec.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:48 PM   #17
lamarw

This was a very informative thread I read recently. You might want to take a gander at it.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts

If you have looked at and handled all the pistols in your post but still like the Sig best of all. Then I say save your bucks and get what you really want. You will never be satisfied with anything less than what you first fell in love with.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #18

I really like the Ruger SR 1911, but an option that's not on your list that should be around the $750 price point is the SA Range Officer, but it does have adjustable sights that won't be as snag free as the Novak's that are on the SR 1911.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:35 PM   #19
lamarw

There is an active thread going on the Sig Forum about recent new SR1911's with the front sight shearing off. So far, there does not seem to be an explanation as to why.

Potential Ruger 1911 buyers might want to check out and follow that thread.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:43 PM   #20
AK71

Great Stuff!

lamarw, thank you for that link! I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm very interested to hear if others agree with his assessment of the STI Trojan. In case you don't want to filter thru, he says:

"Next up is, by far, my favorite 1911 in this category, the STI Trojan. It’s got the smoothest controls, the best trigger, and, frankly, just the best build quality of any I’ve experienced at its price. The Trojan’s frame is cast and offers a very high grip, due to the cut out under the trigger guard. The front strap uses the popular chain link pattern for a secure grip. Though it works well for me, I do prefer checkering. The slide serrations are large and a bit unsightly, but very easy to grip. The trigger and mainspring housing are plastic, which is a downside to an otherwise excellent pistol. Mine has a few options, such as a hard chrome finish, an ambi safety, and a red fiber optic front sight. This 1911 is a pleasure to shoot at the range and does everything exceptionally well. The cocobolo grips with the logo are a nice touch. Keep in mind that the Trojan comes standard with thin grips, but mine has the ambi option, so standard thickness grips had to be used. Roll markings are large with the left side sporting a horse that looks to have been drawn by a preschooler. Fortunately, new production Trojans have this design omitted. If you want the best $1000 1911 on the market, look no further. I’ve been pushing this 1911 on potential buyers for years now and will continue to do so."
Old March 24, 2013, 07:30 PM   #21
ms6852

As an owner of 2 springfield 1911, in the GI series within your prize range and in the target series I would recommend Springfield for two reasons. Very reliable and quality product, and secondly the customer service is fantastic.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:28 AM   #22
timpierce

I just picked up a new Desert Eagle 1991G. I can't believe how well the slide is fit to the frame. I have Dan Wessons too, and the DE is fit as well or better. It has a great trigger too. Fantastic gun for the money.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #23
fragtagninja

I don't know much about the 1911 as I don't much care for the platform, but I have seen the Ruger SR 1911 in person. It is a stunning firearm to say the least. Simple and elegant. However if the dealer is obviously price gouging I would go elsewhere. I refuse to give my money to someone who conducts business in such a manner.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:01 PM   #24
loose_holster_dan

sti spartan v
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 25, 2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Water-Man

^^This^^