The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 7, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Gunnut17

Finest Example of a Mall Ninja You've Met.

Something that someone said, did, or even wore that screamed, "mall ninja", to you.

Unfortunately, I'm the best example of a "Mall ninja" comment I know. A month or two after I joined TFL, I talked about how carrying 91 rounds of 9mm would be a practical and good idea.

So, an example of someone being mall ninja-esque you have is...?
Old October 7, 2012, 11:36 PM   #2
jimbob86

Well, somebody posted this an hour ago......

Quote:
AK 47s for most things as they never ever jam and are like so powerful.
And Deagles for pistols.
...in reference to arming a SPEC OPS force.....
Old October 8, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Gunnut17

Quote:
AK 47s for most things as they never ever jam and are like so powerful.
And Deagles for pistols.
Yeah, never ever and "like so powerful" don't give off an expert vibe.

And, ironically, that same guy posted in another thread about a potential TFL logo change, saying the old logo wouldn't appeal to mall ninjas.

Post #3.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
LockedBreech

I was having a nice time at the Front Range Gun Club in Loveland, CO, just renting and shooting with a friend, when a guy comes in and buys $100 of ammo, saying he's spending $100 of every paycheck to buy ammo for the riots after the election (), and that he thinks .22LR is the best to stockpile. Unsettling giggle every 2 minutes.

I felt bad for the dude spending $100/month on overpriced, bottom-shelf rental range ammo, but at the same time I don't think it would hurt anything if he had a little less ammo.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:24 AM   #5
5.56RifleGuy

I think he was joking and poking fun at the original question.

I have had people come up to me at the range and tell me I shouldnt shoot wolf because it wont run in my rifle. Does that count?
Old October 8, 2012, 12:35 AM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
he's spending $100 of every paycheck to buy ammo for the riots after the election
And you should remember that you rolled your eyes at the guy's wish to be prepared ....... when Aurora is burning and you can't find any ammo......

I'm not saying he is going about buying ammo in an intelligent way..... but "bottom shelf range ammo" is better than "I shoulda bought ammo"..... IIRC, the last election saw ammo shortages in many places, and price inflation everywhere.... would it be that foolish to assume that this go-round wil be any different (I think it will be worse, myself, as everybody's cushion is a bit thinner, and 0bama would have nothing to lose if re-elected......) I sure wish I had stocked up on primers @ $15/1000 in 2007 or 9mm ammo @ $9/box, because I could have sold them for twice the price 12-18 months later.....

..... At least the "bottom shelf range ammo" will be useful for something besides wallpaper , which is more than can be said of the Dollar, if thing keep going the direction they are, no matter who wins the election!
Old October 8, 2012, 12:37 AM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
I have had people come up to me at the range and tell me I shouldnt shoot wolf because it wont run in my rifle.
Tell them you know it won't, but you want to run stoppage drills.....
Old October 8, 2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Falcon642

Heard a guy in a gun store talking about the frag round for the AA-12:

"Three shots of this will bring down a whole BUILDING man, you can't believe how powerful this round is."

Is it sad that I carry concealed as much for protection from guys like that as from potential muggers?
Old October 8, 2012, 12:42 AM   #9
5.56RifleGuy

Yeah, it was real funny because after he said that he asked what kind of rifle I was shooting. Obviously an expert, even though he had no idea what it wss or how it operated. It was a hk 93 clone.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:59 AM   #10
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
And you should remember that you rolled your eyes at the guy's wish to be prepared ....... when Aurora is burning and you can't find any ammo......

I'm not saying he is going about buying ammo in an intelligent way..... but "bottom shelf range ammo" is better than "I shoulda bought ammo"..... IIRC, the last election saw ammo shortages in many places, and price inflation everywhere.... would it be that foolish to assume that this go-round wil be any different (I think it will be worse, myself, as everybody's cushion is a bit thinner, and 0bama would have nothing to lose if re-elected......) I sure wish I had stocked up on primers @ $15/1000 in 2007 or 9mm ammo @ $9/box, because I could have sold them for twice the price 12-18 months later.....

..... At least the "bottom shelf range ammo" will be useful for something besides wallpaper , which is more than can be said of the Dollar, if thing keep going the direction they are, no matter who wins the election!
What makes you think I'm not prepared and stocked up? I'm poking fun at his unsettling, half-psychotic demeanor and thinking he's in the know more than the "sheep" buying ammo in perhaps the worst possible way to stock up in bulk.

Plus, during the 2008 shortage I was just fine for ammo, as my much-maligned .40 S&W was well stocked between empty shelves of 9mm and .45

As a tangential side point, I'm always amused by the folks who have 10,000 rounds stockpiled but have no water purification supplies and don't bother to exercise - addressing a very unlikely risk while much, much more likely ones are in their own bodies.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:32 AM   #11
MLeake

FWIW, Wolf doesn't run well in my AR. Starts jamming up by the second magazine. Didn't know better, when I bought it. Brass only, since then.

(As I understand it, the steel doesn't expand so well, and allows residue to form between casing and chamber. That seems to be exactly what happens in my AR.)

But as far as the OP's question, I can't think of any particular Mall Ninja standing out more than others; generally, though, the few who have made an impression claimed to be elite members of elite units, yet they were simultaneously too young and too fat (or, in the case of a skinny one, too obviously off his meds) for their stories to be remotely plausible.

Over the years, I've met enough actual STS, Rangers, SEALS, SF soldiers, etc to be able to say that while they are not cookie-cutter, they tend to have some common traits. Bragging about exploits while shopping in the 2XL section is not one of those traits. One of my best friends back in flight school was a former Force Recon sniper; he was 5'8", 135lbs soaking wet, and taught Sunday school. Unless you happened to see him shoot, you'd never suspect his background - although he was obviously in top shape.

On a side note, probably the fittest middle-aged guy I've ever met was a French para LTC in Djibouti. Guy was 46 years old, and running 8k in around a half hour every other day.

I only know two former SF guys whom I would consider fat, but one of those fat guys benches around 450, and he's pushing 50.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Run a gun shop for a week. You will see and hear things that make anything posted here pale in comparison.
Old October 8, 2012, 02:04 PM   #13
SPEMack618

The obese fellow behind the counter at my adopted local gun shop. Guy is 6 foot even and has to be pushing 350. I have never seen him wear anything other than BDU pants and fishing shirts.

Case in point, about a year ago I'm in the store looking at a Model 19 and the guy comes lumbering over and proffers his opinion that said gun won't "be any good in a tactical situation."

Dude, I've been in a "tacitical situation", I think, and would have much preferred that Model 19 over my Beretta.

Now granted, on a day to day basis, I look like a frat boy(which I am) instead of a combat veteran(which I am), but newsflash, new war, new veterans, and we tend to be on the youngish side. I snorted my thanks in disgust and left th store.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:44 PM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

Sorry, folks - not really useful.

Closed.