The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Wingnut238

Remington Model 58 12 ga Question

Hi All,
A quick question. I just purchased a Mod 58 from a pawn shop. I haven't fired it yet but am a little confused about something. When I load two shells in the tube and bring back the bolt and release it, one shell leaves the tube but the bolt does not release until I push the release button. Once I push the button the shell goes in the chamber just fine. Then when I pull the bolt back to eject the shell, the shell ejects okay but the other round does the same thing. Is this normal? if not what is the probable cause. I am hoping it was designed that way and when fired everything will work as it should but I have my doubts. Thanks.
Old March 30, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings Wingnut238, and welcome aboard.

Try loading as the gun was intended to be loaded: with the safety on, put a shell into the ejection port allowing the front of the shell to settle down on the carrier. Then with fingers clear of the port, press the carrier latch button -- the bolt will spring forward and lock-up.

To load the mag: place a shell on the carrier (not the latch button) depressing it toward the bolt and push the shell forward into the mag until is clicks past the carrier latch.

With it loaded, pointed in a safe direction and with the safety on, quickly pulling back on the handle and releasing it (to simulate actual firing) should elect the shell from the barrel, then feed and chamber a round from the mag. The bolt should lock back only when the mag is depleted. If the bolt locks back when the mag is loaded, then you've got troubles.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Wingnut238

Remington Model 58 Question

Thanks Zippy,
Well I followed your instructions and something you said did not sound right but I tried it anyway. You said after loading one in the chamber load the mag by putting the shell on the carrier and pushing it toward the bolt. The carrier will not allow the shell to enter the tube unless the button (spring release) is pushed. I have found that to be the case on many autoloaders I have used. I am 65 years old and have had many guns in my life and this one has me puzzeled. After loading the chamber and the tube, when I pull the bolt back it ejects perfectly and the shell comes out of the tube and rests perfectly on the carrier but the bolt stays to the rear untill I manually release it.
It would seem that the shell coming out of the tube is supposed to trigger something on the inside of the carrier to release it. Could it possibly be a weak spring in the tube not allowing the shell to trigger the carrier?
Old March 30, 2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Wingnut238

Remington Model 58 12 Ga Question

Zippy,
After sending that last post I went and got the gun out and looked inside the chamber. I can see where the shell coming out of the tube is supposed to trigger the release of the bolt. With the bolt to the rear and locked I held onto the bolt handle and I reached in the chamber with my index ginger and put a little backword pressure on the spot that releases the bolt and it released it with very little pressure. This suggests that the spring in the tube is weak and not forceing the shell hard enough against that release. I will try to fix that tomorrow by pulling out the spring and seeing if I can put some more tension on it. If I can't I will probaby put a 2/3/4 " spacer in the tube for more tension and see if that works. If it does it will mean that I will just have two shots to get my bird which is all I ever get off anyway
Old March 30, 2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Quote:
I haven't fired it yet
I have seen a lot of peculiar things when hand cycling an auto shotgun (or rifle or pistol.)

Take it out and fire a few before making any modifications.
Old March 30, 2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Wingnut238

Remington Model 58

That is very good advice....I have been around the block a few times but don't know everything. It might work fine with that jolt it gets from the shell firing and the recoil. Thanks again!
Old March 30, 2011, 11:22 PM   #7
zippy13

IINM, the M-58 is only a 3-shot because, unlike the M-1100, the M-58 has its action spring in a separate compartment in the front of the mag tube. Perhaps loading two in the mag would increase the spring pressure enough to tell you if it's a problem with the mag spring. As Jim astutely mentioned, hand cycling and actual firing are different.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:06 AM   #8
Wingnut238

Remington 58

Thanks Zippy,
My problem is that I have nowhere close and handy to test fire the gun. I am going to try the full three shell load to see if that makes a difference, better that than screwing with the spring. I have never owned an autoloader that one shell could not be put in the tube then fed into the chamber by simply cocking the gun by a pull on the handle and a release. I am a little frustrated with it but will figure it out. I owned a gun shop in my younger days and I am retired military...guns have been a major part of my liife except for the Sportsman Mod 58 Stay tuned
Old March 31, 2011, 01:15 AM   #9
zippy13

Wingnut,
Go here and then click on Remington Model-58 to download a .pdf diagram and parts list.
Old March 31, 2011, 01:50 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

Per this Remington will send you a free manual. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...man_58_shotgun

Here us a link to a home made video on disassembly. I have not idea if the guy in it knows what he is talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AojOVRvoMcM

But not what he says about the magazine cap and it having two settings. If it is on the setting for low b rass shells and you fire a high brass shell you can blow the cap off the gun.

He also says not to fire steel shot through it.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; March 31, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Wingnut238

Remington Model 58

Well, I downloaded the parts list..thank you, I also watched a couple videos on Yutube, thank you also.

I will be away from this thread until I figure out what is wrong or at least until I fire it, that might be a few days.

I want to thank all of you for your input. Stay tuned I will eventually come back with a report on what I found.