The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Redneck_Riot

Griffin and Howe side mount?

hey all, I have a German Weatherby mark 5 deluxe 300 magnum rifle that I have had for many years and have always been curious as to why someone would place a side mount on a rifle that has already been drilled and tapped from the factory for scope mounting?

I have done a little research and have found out that Griffin and Howe is a custom rifle maker located in New York and that their craftsmanship is very fine. Also side scope mounting is very popular in Europe infact more so than over the bore like here in America.

Griffin and Howe as I understand manufactured the scope mounts for the M1 Garand sniper rifles durring WW2

I would appreciate some insights into why this modification would be warranted, and a possible value of this mount would be great as well.

Thanks-
Old January 24, 2009, 12:18 PM   #2
kraigwy

The Griffin and Howe mount was used on the M1 so as they could still use the clip. It had to be offset. I for the life of me cant figure why you would wont one on a bolt gun that has been drilled and tapped for normal mounting.

But thats just me, I've seen a lot of wierd stuff out there.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 24, 2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Does said Weatherby have iron sights? Most don't, except in safari calibers, but one justification for a side mount is that when the scope is detached, there are no lumps of top bases right under the irons' line of sight. Or if it were a .240 or .257, the G&H would make it convenient to have varmint and game scopes interchangeably.

Otherwise, I have no idea and find no profit in guessing other people's motivations.

I don't know what the dollar value of a takeoff scope mount would be. You would have to find somebody else who wanted a side mount on a Weatherby. Which we all agree is an unusual installation. A new G&H side mount is $400 plus $250 for installation by them.
Old January 24, 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Scorch

Depending on how old the rifle is, there may not have been a lot of options available to the owner, or he may have wanted the G&H mount because of its reputation. Who knows?
Old January 24, 2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Sodbuster

Quote:
$400 plus $250 for installation
Yikes! There's a sporterized 1917 at a local shop with the G&H side mount. It's really a nice rifle, well done, but rechambered in 300 H&H. Asking price is $500. I had no idea the mount is worth that much.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 26, 2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Redneck_Riot

thanks for the insights, to answer the question, yes my rifle does have iron sights, a front and there is a spot for what appears top be a peep sight

I believe this rifle to be a safari hunting configuration and my research on the subject seems to point toward that conclusion.