The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2009, 02:45 PM   #1
petersargeant

sighting in 50 cal muzzleloader?

I am the father of 2 boys 13 and 14 yrs. old. They are in a shooting club but having a hard time finding anyone with this information, they are going to a contest in May. I purchased 2 T/C muzzleloaders 1. 50 cal Triumph 2. 50 cal OmegaZ. They will be Shooting from 35 yds - 50 yds and 75 yds 5 shots at each with the maxium powder load of 60 grains and soild lead bullet no heavier then 385 gr. I have 275 gr maxi-hunters. They are good at Shot gun , 22. any help would be appriacated.
Old April 20, 2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Doyle

1. Do NOT use pellets. They are notorious for inconsistency. Inconcistency in a muzzleloader = inaccuracy.
2. Use a good bullet. I've had great luck with the 245grn Hornady SST's. Different rifles (even in the same brand) like different sabots and bullets. Experiment before the competition.
3. You absolutely must use consistent tamping pressure every time you reload. Remember rule #1 - inconsistency = inaccuracy.
3. Remove the plug and wet-patch your barrel between EVERY shot. Run a spit patch all the way through then a dry patch. The reason you remove the plug is that most powders build up a "crud ring" just in front of the plug. As the plug ring grows, you get your old enemy inconsistency.

Good luck to the boys.
Old April 20, 2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Pahoo

Some pretty good advice from Doyle and stick with the the 60 grain max load at all ranges. Stick with the same 209 primer. You did not mention what propellent you intend to use but would recommend 777 or equal. Your boys should not have a problem with this load, regardless of your propellant. You also did not mention that you plan on putting in some Range-Time but assume you will. While you are out there, try putting a wonder wad between your propellent and Sabot adn see how this works for you. Again, assuming you are going to use a sabot. Get your loading and technique down and consistant. Have faith, breath and squeeze the trigger. "Aim small; Miss small" Sure wish I could be there and let us know what "Shot-String" you went with and how you made out.

Be Safe !!!!
Old April 20, 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
fbrown333@suddenlink

The main thing is to load the same amount of powder each time to get cosistancy and pack it down the same also.